Twin tailed, but not a cat.... A Corsair's cousin.... Cutlass are in !!

Well well well !!

It's now a bit more than a year that I did'nt started any threads....

CC's back with another lunacy !!

Moons ago... around 1988, I bought this one....

IMG_20220126_234310

Navy aircraft always sparked my interest...

Then, it's a Vought one.....

Then I put my hand on plans and was disappointed...

Indeed, as soon as it has been issued, I bought this one....

IMG_20220126_234323

And I was about to throw away the old Lindberg kit....

But luckily, I cannot bin a kit....

I found more documents about the so called Gutless...

And elected to save the old lindberg because it was not too bad a kit....

Compared it to the Hobbycraft one is surprising but in fact it is simply not the same aircraft at all !!

Well, as a madman, I think for myself, I got a blue one but some Cutlass were operated in gray and others were NMF....

Tortuous minds....

I need another Cutlass...

Aaaand a few months ago, I got the opportunity to buy that !!

IMG_20210607_214438 IMG_20210607_214528

:evil_laugh::evil_laugh::evil_laugh:

I'm ready to send 3 pirates in BM arena !!

Do not expect to see the 3 finished this year....

I got the Naval Fighter Serie for the F7U.... Definitely not an OOB .... Trust me !!

Advices and Comments are welcome

Banter are mandatory....

What do you think @Martian, Mad enough ???

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 19

Mad enough? As mad as Mad Jim McMad, the Scottish training aid prototype for Psychiatrists North of the border.

He's famous for founding the Loch Ness monster spotters club in 1957. He is of course (so far) the only member.

I think you'll need to lay in plenty of alcoholic liquids for use as a buffer in the difficult bits of the build.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

13 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Oh my word. He’s at it again🤩. Can’t wait to see what you do with these beauties dear CC.

Johnny.

My thoughts exactly! :frantic: :frantic::frantic:

:popcorn: and a lot of :beer:

Ciao

• Haha 3

CC, nothing you do surprises me any more! The Cutlass is however a very interesting aircraft and I shall follow with interest. I seen to remember reading somewhere that the Lindberg kit is more representative of the prototype.

Martian 👽

PS: We are having to build an extension to the Naughty Corner to accommodate all your builds. Vogon Constructors Inc. are the contractors apparently. The complimentary full set of Vogon poetry is a special offer for 2022 only. Enjoy! :evil_laugh:

• Haha 4

I think I will follow this one with interest. I have the Hobbcraft Cutlass stalled on the shelf of doom because I couldn’t find decals to replace the rubbish quality ones in the box. It’s been sitting there for a few years now so this could be the inspiration I need to rescue it.

• Like 1

Now that is indeed an interesting project. 👍 I am going to watch your progress closely and maybe I will finally be motivated to start the Fujimi 1/72 F7U-3P which I have got in my stash for some 30 years now! 

Edited by 112 Squadron
  • Like 2

Hi CC,

that promises to be an interesting endeavour. Having a Lindberg F7U-1 myself, I played with the idea to use parts of a Hobbycraft kit to 'update' it but quickly realized that they are very different aircraft and the wings and landing gear would have been the only useful parts.

It's a pity, especially as the basic airframe is quite accurate shape wise,  that one basically requires a whole new front fuselage, new and bigger clear parts and the typical, long nose wheel strut to make the Lindberg kit halfway accurate.

You may find the following link useful, showing the build of a Japanese modeller who tried to correct the Lindberg kit: http://fg786.blog87.fc2.com/blog-entry-70.html?sp

And finished build: http://fg786.blog87.fc2.com/blog-category-21.html

Looking forward to your builds!

Cheers

Markus

Edited by Shorty84
Additinal link added.
  • Thanks 1

Wow he did a grand job on the -1 Cutlass didn’t he? No small amount of work, he’s managed to get it looking like the Collect-Aire kit, (which was so pricey I daren’t build it!) Such a cool machine, too far ahead of it’s time. A horror to fly by all accounts.. 
“The Cutlass could be made into a pretty good flying machine with a few modifications, like a conventional tail, tripling the thrust, cutting the nosewheel strut in half, completely redoing the flight control system, and getting someone else to fly it.”

Best of luck CC👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/27/2022 at 7:56 PM, Pete in Lincs said:

Mad enough? As mad as Mad Jim McMad, the Scottish training aid prototype for Psychiatrists North of the border.

He's famous for founding the Loch Ness monster spotters club in 1957. He is of course (so far) the only member.

I think you'll need to lay in plenty of alcoholic liquids for use as a buffer in the difficult bits of the build.

Izzat the guy ?? 

120508605_2811921449086363_8416598643127893348_o

On 1/28/2022 at 1:32 AM, The Spadgent said:

Oh my word. He’s at it again🤩. Can’t wait to see what you do with these beauties dear CC.

Johnny.

Thanks John,

Glad that you are able to feel the beauty of these beasties...

On 1/28/2022 at 2:47 AM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Ooooh Nice choice Cousin. If you need VF-12 squadron logo decals, let me know I have a whole sheet custom printed. ZK4u4Lw.jpg

I have them here ⬆️ in 1/48 but also have them in 1/72. 

Dennis

Thanks cousin,

The NMF one wil be the VF 124 one...

Did'nt choose le gull gray one, I'll read some stories first...

On 1/28/2022 at 3:21 PM, giemme said:

My thoughts exactly! :frantic: :frantic::frantic:

:popcorn: and a lot of :beer:

Ciao

Never change a "Winning" team....

Even if it sometimes turn into a whinning team:rofl2::rofl2:

On 1/28/2022 at 5:08 PM, Martian said:

CC, nothing you do surprises me any more! The Cutlass is however a very interesting aircraft and I shall follow with interest. I seen to remember reading somewhere that the Lindberg kit is more representative of the prototype.

Martian 👽

PS: We are having to build an extension to the Naughty Corner to accommodate all your builds. Vogon Constructors Inc. are the contractors apparently. The complimentary full set of Vogon poetry is a special offer for 2022 only. Enjoy! :evil_laugh:

Once again, You are right oh Dear Tentacled one !!

Yes the prototype it is !! one third smaller than the "finished" bird.

By the way, I saw you in the IPMS review and the poor lady caught in your tentacles.....

Congratulations for your well deserved medals !! Hunley is pristine !! :mike:

On 1/28/2022 at 5:36 PM, Pete in Lincs said:

A poetry corner. That will be nice, won't it children?

Huh !! we already have a poetry corner .....

I wonder if the naughty corner is not a big poetry corner by itself....

MaxReboBandConcept

106927892_3117798701622484_7014524377190759344_o

On 1/28/2022 at 5:56 PM, Ferrata said:

I think I will follow this one with interest. I have the Hobbcraft Cutlass stalled on the shelf of doom because I couldn’t find decals to replace the rubbish quality ones in the box. It’s been sitting there for a few years now so this could be the inspiration I need to rescue it.

thanks Ferrata,

Yup, the decals are not the best ones at the time they've been issued....

I don't remember any production for the Cutlass

Now, I can follow the way of our "decals" master @giemme Hairy stick !!

On 1/28/2022 at 6:01 PM, 112 Squadron said:

Now that is indeed an interesting project. 👍 I am going to watch your progress closely and maybe I will finally be motivated to start the Fujimi 1/72 F7U-3P which I have got in my stash for some 30 years now! 

Hello Sharky !!

I did the Fujimi F7U-3, these kits were treats to build, the F7U-3P is still in my stash

I'll never build it since I save for having a template .....:evil_laugh::evil_laugh:

Who know ??? If I find a 3rd Cutlass....:doh:

20 hours ago, Shorty84 said:

Hi CC,

that promises to be an interesting endeavour. Having a Lindberg F7U-1 myself, I played with the idea to use parts of a Hobbycraft kit to 'update' it but quickly realized that they are very different aircraft and the wings and landing gear would have been the only useful parts.

It's a pity, especially as the basic airframe is quite accurate shape wise,  that one basically requires a whole new front fuselage, new and bigger clear parts and the typical, long nose wheel strut to make the Lindberg kit halfway accurate.

You may find the following link useful, showing the build of a Japanese modeller who tried to correct the Lindberg kit: http://fg786.blog87.fc2.com/blog-entry-70.html?sp

And finished build: http://fg786.blog87.fc2.com/blog-category-21.html

Looking forward to your builds!

Cheers

Markus

Thanks shorty !!

Thanks for the link, I'll double check it !!

19 hours ago, MattSimps74 said:

Wow he did a grand job on the -1 Cutlass didn’t he? No small amount of work, he’s managed to get it looking like the Collect-Aire kit, (which was so pricey I daren’t build it!) Such a cool machine, too far ahead of it’s time. A horror to fly by all accounts.. 
“The Cutlass could be made into a pretty good flying machine with a few modifications, like a conventional tail, tripling the thrust, cutting the nosewheel strut in half, completely redoing the flight control system, and getting someone else to fly it.”

Best of luck CC👍

Thanks Matt !!

Ahead of her time for sure !!

At last, tripling the thrust woul have saved the day....If only it would'nt have tripled the thirst too....

Now she was the first afterburner equipped Navy fighter...

18 hours ago, Marklo said:

I do like the cutlass and have fond memories of building a vac form in 1/72 in my younger days. Will enjoy watching these take shape.

Thanks Mark !!

Let's see how it will unfold !!

Now Gents, some of the pics collected on the web...

245292768_10224412330988171_578528545067874805_n 206713956_2926433237640067_8895039160223380106_n

I will play with some weathering too !!

132685804_197783985357802_6544291224011867363_o

I finished my evening work week, Sooo modelling tonight !! I hope ...

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, MattSimps74 said:

Best of luck CC👍

The pilots who flew the F7U-3 gave it mixed reviews, to say the least. Many thought it to be a pretty good flying machine as is by the standards of the time. This one is from The Wrong Stuff written by John Moore. His experience, with respect to thrust at least, was colored by his carrier qualification of the F7U-3M, which the Navy elected to be the first guided-missile armed, carrier-based fighter, adding more than 2,000 lbs of empty weight and useful load without bothering to increase the engine thrust. When conceived and first deployed, the F7U-3 had a thrust to weight (in afterburner) that was better than or at least equal to the Navy’s other fighters. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Izzat the guy ?? 

120508605_2811921449086363_8416598643127893348_o

Thanks John,

Glad that you are able to feel the beauty of these beasties...

Thanks cousin,

Did'nt choose le gull gray one, I'll read some stories first...

Never change a "Winning" team....

Even if it sometimes turn into a whinning team:rofl2::rofl2:

Once again, You are right oh Dear Tentacled one !!

Yes the prototype it is !! one third smaller than the "finished" bird.

By the way, I saw you in the IPMS review and the poor lady caught in your tentacles.....

Congratulations for your well deserved medals !! Hunley is pristine !! :mike:

Huh !! we already have a poetry corner .....

I wonder if the naughty corner is not a big poetry corner by itself....

MaxReboBandConcept

106927892_3117798701622484_7014524377190759344_o

thanks Ferrata,

Yup, the decals are not the best ones at the time they've been issued....

I don't remember any production for the Cutlass

Now, I can follow the way of our "decals" master @giemme Hairy stick !!

Hello Sharky !!

I did the Fujimi F7U-3, these kits were treats to build, the F7U-3P is still in my stash

I'll never build it since I save for having a template .....:evil_laugh::evil_laugh:

Who know ??? If I find a 3rd Cutlass....:doh:

Thanks shorty !!

Thanks for the link, I'll double check it !!

Thanks Matt !!

Ahead of her time for sure !!

At last, tripling the thrust woul have saved the day....If only it would'nt have tripled the thirst too....

Now she was the first afterburner equipped Navy fighter...

Thanks Mark !!

Let's see how it will unfold !!

Now Gents, some of the pics collected on the web...

245292768_10224412330988171_578528545067874805_n 206713956_2926433237640067_8895039160223380106_n

I will play with some weathering too !!

132685804_197783985357802_6544291224011867363_o

I finished my evening work week, Sooo modelling tonight !! I hope ...

Sincerely.

CC

I have to point out that the lady asked to be entwined in my tentacles!

Martian 👽

• Haha 2

Well CC's at it again with a bevy Cutlass' no less. Though I'm surprised no Sabres to go along for more dueling pleasure. Since I have a couple of these same subjects I'll follow along for the pure enjoyment of it, and the occasional naughty corner comment.

Pay me no mind ,I'll be over here at the bar if I'm needed------------>:drink:

• Like 2

On 1/30/2022 at 1:23 PM, MattSimps74 said:

Best of luck CC👍

But then it would be an F-4! :giggle:

Mike

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Naval Fighters 6 covered all F7U  variants, and IIRC included a a review of the Lindberg kit; I think I also recall Tommy Thomason, aka @Tailspin Turtle saying he was working on a monograph on the F7U-1's; if so, that would be worth watching out for.

Mike

https://modelingmadness.com/review/korean/previews/lindberg/437.htm

https://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/builds/coll/build_coll_f7u.shtml

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePA8G6G-nGo

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 72modeler said:

Naval Fighters 6 covered all F7U  variants, and IIRC included a a review of the Lindberg kit; I think I also recall Tommy Thomason, aka @Tailspin Turtle saying he was working on a monograph on the F7U-1's; if so, that would be worth watching out for.

Mike

https://modelingmadness.com/review/korean/previews/lindberg/437.htm

https://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/builds/coll/build_coll_f7u.shtml

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePA8G6G-nGo

My F7U-1 monograph has been out for quite a while. See http://www.ginterbooks.com/NAVAL/NF94.htm. I suggest that you order it directly from Steve if you want one; he makes more that way, which helps keep him in business so he can publish my forthcoming F7U-3/3M/3P/A2U monograph, coauthored with Al Casby, who has about 1 1/2 Cutlasses and is planning to bring the best bits together and fly the result.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Tailspin Turtle said:

My F7U-1 monograph has been out for quite a while. See http://www.ginterbooks.com/NAVAL/NF94.htm. I suggest that you order it directly from Steve if you want one; he makes more that way, which helps keep him in business so he can publish my forthcoming F7U-3/3M/3P/A2U monograph, coauthored with Al Casby, who has about 1 1/2 Cutlasses and is planning to bring the best bits together and fly the result.

Well, don't I feel like a dumba--! I have that one and Naval Fighters 6! Guess I need to catalog my reference library one of these days, Tommy! Too many models; too many references, and too little time! 😥

Mike

Guess I was thinking of your upcoming Cutlass monograph- can't wait to get my hands on one! 👍 I do get my NF books direct from Steve, as you had mentioned a while back. Least i can do as thanks for the outstanding references over the years!

• Thanks 1

Let's have a look at it...

Still in the original plastic bag...

IMG_20220131_220503

Now, let's have some comparisons...

IMG_20220131_231606 IMG_20220131_224147 IMG_20220131_231714

Having a look at the destructions.... It's basic from the old pub of Basicum O'Basically....

No cockpit, no Wheel wells, Locomotive rivetery.... Where would be the fun !!

IMG_20220131_220742

The bible is out from my rack of bibles... I don't have it all but not far....

IMG_20220131_233304

It was too nice to be true, It happen with old kits bought on second hand....

IMG_20220131_232412 IMG_20220131_232540

Mumble mumble...

3 hours ago, LorenSharp said:

Well CC's at it again with a bevy Cutlass' no less. Though I'm surprised no Sabres to go along for more dueling pleasure. Since I have a couple of these same subjects I'll follow along for the pure enjoyment of it, and the occasional naughty corner comment.

Pay me no mind ,I'll be over here at the bar if I'm needed------------>:drink:

Do you have polished your crystal ball ??

Who said no sabres ?? I'm in a Fury now...

Hold my beer and check by the end of the week....

Thanks to you all tor the tips and links !!

I'll now try to not mess it up too much !!

Today is my good lady's Birthday.... So we took a walk in our vicinity !!

IMG_20220130_161237

More to come soon...

Sincerely !!

CC

• Like 6

8 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Thanks cousin,

Nice choice cousin, though there was a period when VF/VA-12 went NMF also. Thats what I opted for myself. PbIACSV.jpg

AjdOrck.jpg

However if I ever get another Fujimi kit I will do that one in Gull grey/White. 

• Like 6