Warplanes: World War 1 on Oculus Quest 2

Folkbox1

Anyone out there playing this game?

My daughter got the Oculus for Christmas and i chipped in with this game.  So far it is fun with 5 levels of difficulty, the graphics are ok and as a flight sim it doesn't seem too bad.  There's a reasonable range of planes to choose from and you can fly as Entente Cordiale and Axis

• 2 months later...

I am a ‘bit in the dark’ with this subject, please can you tell me what I need apart from the Oculus Quest 2 headset to play with aircraft simulator, in particular Spitfire.  Do I need other equipment and if so what?

many thanks

John🇺🇦

On 4/4/2022 at 2:35 PM, Biggles87 said:

I am a ‘bit in the dark’ with this subject, please can you tell me what I need apart from the Oculus Quest 2 headset to play with aircraft simulator, in particular Spitfire.  Do I need other equipment and if so what?

many thanks

John🇺🇦

Are you asking about Virtual Reality (VR) simulators in particular or just simulators in general.

Cheers,

Nigel

Hi Nigel, thanks for the reply.

I am interested in VR simulators in particular, SWMBO is going to give me one for my next birthday.

I was lucky enough to fly in ( and fly ) a Spitfire four years ago and would like to re-create the experience.

Cheers

John

On 26/01/2022 at 16:45, Folkbox1 said:

Anyone out there playing this game?

My daughter got the Oculus for Christmas and i chipped in with this game.  So far it is fun with 5 levels of difficulty, the graphics are ok and as a flight sim it doesn't seem too bad.  There's a reasonable range of planes to choose from and you can fly as Entente Cordiale and Axis

Not 'axis', unless the bad guys have time travelled from WWII. Triple Entente versus Central powers,. Common mistake. Not just nit-picking, because the Axis included Italy, whereas in the first go-round they were on our side. And the Entente Cordiale refers to agreements between France and Britain signed in 1904.  Not that all that should affect the game.

Paul.

3 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Hi Nigel, thanks for the reply.

I am interested in VR simulators in particular, SWMBO is going to give me one for my next birthday.

I was lucky enough to fly in ( and fly ) a Spitfire four years ago and would like to re-create the experience.

Cheers

John

Would you be running the game from a PC or just using the processor and memory that is on board the VR headset?

• 3 weeks later...

Do you want a realistic simulator or an arcade style game?

The WWI game you led with is very much an arcade style game and I would imagine would run quite happily direct on the goggles.

If you want a realistic simulator you could look at the IL-2 range, you can get several Spitfires in there.  The base game often appears on sale and can be had quite cheaply.

Warning though

Such a simulator needs a reasonable CPU and RAM configuration and if playing VR needs a powerful video card, more powerful then if just playing on a monitor because in VR it is effectively driving two screens.

Also IL-2 is very realistic and therefore takes a little practice to fly.

Another option is War Thunder where you play against other players.  Plenty of aircraft to choose from and it is free to play.  The flying is easier than in IL-2 and there are a few realism settings to choose.  Free to play so nothing lost if you don’t like it.

IL-2 really needs a joystick, War Thunder is better with a joystick but you can get by with a game controller.

• Thanks 1

I was looking through Android Play Store and I notice that there is now a WW2 version of the WW1 that you first mentioned.

Warplanes WW2 Dogfight 

I’ve not checked whether it is on other platforms but as the WW1 is (I play it on the Nintendo Switch) I suspect that it is widely available, possibly even for direct install on your headset.

Cheers,

Nigel

• 4 weeks later...