Another one from Sydney, Australia.

Mark Newton

G'day, fellow plastic wranglers,

Like many forum members, I'm returning to scale modelling after a long break. I used to be a member of IPMS here in Sydney, eventually becoming the magazine editor. I enjoyed doing that, but it limited the time I had available for actual modelling. A change of job and residence meant that I was no longer active with the club, and I went back to railway modelling instead. I might add that I work for Sydney Trains, but don't model my own railway. My avatar tells the story...

Last year a conversation with a workmate led me to visit a nearby hobby shop that I didn't previously know about. I was amazed at the variety and quality of modern kits - nothing like what I remembered from the 1980s and 90s. I bought a few models, and started looking around for information to bring me up to speed. That in turn led me here. The standard of modelling featured really impressed me, as well as the obvious good nature of the forum's discussions, so I signed up immediately.

My main previous modelling interest was Great War aircraft, particularly two-seaters of the Central Powers, and biplanes generally. That's still my primary area of interest, but I'm also interested in civil aircraft from between the wars, naval/maritime aircraft, Japanese twins and Great War armour. My main scale is 1/72 for the aircraft and 1/35 for the armour. One thing that's surprised me is the speed at which I've gotten a "stash" again!

I look forward to posting my modelling projects and the discussions that will follow.

All the best,

Mark.

Edited by Mark Newton
  • Like 4

Welcome Mark from the now snowy high plains of New Mexico. Looking forward to your builds. I'm mainly 48th scale aircraft but have ventured into the others as well.

All The Best,

Ron VanDerwarker

• Like 1

Gidday Mark, welcome aboard. Don't you sleep in your part of the country or are you a night-owl? 🙂 I'm into 1/600 scale ships mainly but I like other genres in models. You mentioned Japanese twins. Although I've never made one (my brother did as a kid) I like the Japanese Dinah.

And yeah, stashes can breed as fast as rabbits do. Regards from the other side of the country, Jeff.

On 27/01/2022 at 01:59, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday Mark, welcome aboard. Don't you sleep in your part of the country or are you a night-owl? 🙂 I'm into 1/600 scale ships mainly but I like other genres in models. You mentioned Japanese twins. Although I've never made one (my brother did as a kid) I like the Japanese Dinah.

And yeah, stashes can breed as fast as rabbits do. Regards from the other side of the country, Jeff.

G'day Arnold.

Sleep? I'm a night owl and a shift worker! 😂 I've got both versions of the Dinah by Hasegawa in my stash, and some nice aftermarket markings from Rising Decals to go with them. I think they're a very attractive aircraft.

I've never built any ships, but there's a couple of models I've seen recently that take my fancy. Early subs, river gunboats and pre-dreadnoughts appeal to me, so I may take the plunge.

All the best,

Mark.

• Like 1

Hi Mark,

Welcome from another NGRM-Oer.  It's sometimes nice to just build a self-contained individual model, even a small layout is a long-term commitment.  I know your railway modelling is good and different choices to most; I look forward to seeing your work in a different genre.

Cheers

Will

• Like 1

On 28/01/2022 at 20:47, Bandsaw Steve said:

Welcome aboard from W.A. 👍

Thanks Steve. I see you've built a model of AE2, its a beauty. I recently read Stoker's biography, which is a fascinating story. 

All the best,

Mark.

• Thanks 1

On 02/02/2022 at 22:57, Mick Drover said:

That's quite an esoteric interest area you have. Be sure to puts some piccies up when you get to building.

Guilty as charged, Mick. 😏 The obscure/offbeat/esoteric has always appealed to me, same with my railway modelling. I'll certainly post some photos when I get started.

All the best,

Mark.

Edited by Mark Newton

On 28/01/2022 at 18:28, malpaso said:

Hi Mark,

Welcome from another NGRM-Oer.  It's sometimes nice to just build a self-contained individual model, even a small layout is a long-term commitment.  I know your railway modelling is good and different choices to most; I look forward to seeing your work in a different genre.

Cheers

Will

G'day Will,

Thanks for the welcome and the compliment. I'm hoping that the skills I've developed in one area are transferable to another.

spacer.png

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 2

Welcome aboard Mark, from another Aussie night owl and shift worker. I dabble in british oo gauge also but have been spending too much spare time on 1/35 afvs and 1/72 aircraft , and 1/700 ships recently to even get near my small 8 x 4 train table ( one can't really call this a layout?!).