Barry Sheene RG500

While being known for building trucks, I'm also a biker, so when Italeri re-released the old Protar kit of the RG500 (XR27) in 1/9 scale, I couldn't really refuse. Built more or less from the box.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Ryedale Wolf
  • Like 25

Its 40 year old, its the old Protar kit. But yes it goes together beautifully. There are a couple of errors in the instructions mind.

When building the cylinders, don't build 4 the same like it implies, they are handed. Two of them need the cylinder head on the opposite way.

And when building the rear shocks don't use decal 36 like it says, use decal 37.

Apart from that its a lovely detailed kit. There will be a build article in an upcoming Model Car and Motorcycle World mag.

• Thanks 1

Very nice job :) 

Was tempted to get one when they were re released, but I knew I'd probably never build it

I've got 3 or 4 bike kits started that I lost interest in and put back on the shelf for another day 🤨

Ian :) 

Yiiiiiing - t'ting, t'ting, t'ting ting. Oh, how I miss the tortured scream of pleasure the tuned 2-stroke lets rip when you wring its neck. Carbon footprint? Nah, chuffing great clouds of the stuff left in its wake. Bloomin' marvellous. Not many models bring out those sort of memories and make me grin from ear to ear, but yours did. Brilliant.

• Like 1

You have made a really nice job of this one.

I have this kit in my "stash".

How did you find the detail and fitting of the "rubber" chain?

I have been looking for a replacement in resin or photo etch, but as yet haven't found anything.

Keith 

• Like 1

I’ve been pondering this kit. Got several/12th kits of his bikes including a resin conversion for this bike and several Yamahas, my real Yamaha is a tribute to him.

this looks great you’ve helped make my mind up 👍

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mpfiend said:

You have made a really nice job of this one.

I have this kit in my "stash".

How did you find the detail and fitting of the "rubber" chain?

I have been looking for a replacement in resin or photo etch, but as yet haven't found anything.

Keith 

It went on very well actually. You have to cut it anyway cos its too long. It was practically the last item I fitted. Glued one end to wheel sprocket, threaded it round the drive sprocket and glued the other end. Looks OK.

I did paint it gold, but it just flaked off so I left it black.

• Like 1