1/43 Porsche 962C PDK, Hans Stuck, DRM Supercup 1987

This is my model of the Porsche 962C PDK as driven by Hans Stuck in the DRM Supercup race at Hockenheim in 1987.

spacer.png

I found a set of decals, with some nice colour photos, on eBay.

spacer.png

I later found a Starter 962C kit.  The body was a bit twisted and needed straightening.  I used a PMA chassis plate and cockpit, Renaissance wheels and tyres, and vac-formed the transparencies as those supplied were a very poor fit for the windows and were the horrid resin inserts for the headlights.

spacer.png

The small spoiler on the tail needed replacing as the original was damaged during the de-warping process for the body.  The interiors of the headlight housings were made from plastic card and slices of plastic tube.  The wing support struts were also fashioned from tube and card.

spacer.png

The fresh air scoop on the driver's door was also vac-formed.  I used Revell 04 white for the body, and Humbrol enamels for everything else.  The decals went on very easily.  I'm quite pleased with the end result.  

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for looking.

Trevor

• Like 13

18 hours ago, klubman01 said:

I'm quite pleased with the end result.  

I'd be over the moon with it! It's another lovely gem off your workbench Trevor!

I'm always impressed by your vacform transparencies - do you have a vac-form machine or are they plunge moulded? And how do you make a buck for them?

Top model again! 👍

Keith

Thanks guys. Your comments are much appreciated.

Yes, the PDK transmission was harsh, heavy and temperamental when first introduced in 1983 but by 1987 was considered to be far better.

Trevor

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

I'm always impressed by your vacform transparencies - do you have a vac-form machine or are they plunge moulded? And how do you make a buck for them?

I have a very old Mattell vac-form machine (from the sixties, IIRC).  I bought it on eBay many moons ago.  I also got an upgrade kit to improve the efficiency of the vacuum pump, etc. 

To make the master (or buck, as you call it), I use Milliput yellow-grey filler.  I line the headlight openings and inside of the cockpit with cling-film and push the filler in place.  Once the filler has fully set, I remove it from the model, strip off the cling film, and then begins the process of refining it to shape using finer and finer grades of sanding paper to achieve a smooth finish.  The bases are then built with more filler to achieve the correct angle, and an airtight fit, on the vacuum table of the Mattell machine.

I then use 10thou clear sheet to form windows, etc., or 10thou white sheet for other bits, such as the air scoop on the driver's door of the 962C.

The entire process can be quite lengthy, but I keep all the masters for use on future models.

spacer.png

These are the masters and the finished articles from my Felday 4 project.  I hope that answers your question, Keith.

Trevor

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Chris.  I was rather taken with the scheme because of the retro-style white finish.

PMA is Provence Miniatures Automobiles, the successor to Provence Moulage after it was taken over.  I used that chassis plate because it had the correct, curved, instrument panel unlike Starter which insisted on continuing to use the flat straight panel only used on the first 956. 

I have since made a master of the later instrument panel for casting in resin for future 956/962 models.

spacer.png

Trevor

• Like 1

3 hours ago, klubman01 said:

I hope that answers your question,

It does indeed, many thanks for such a detailed reply Trevor. I've plunge moulded aircraft canopies in the past using the kit canopies for the master (don't know why I called it a buck earlier?! ), but also have a 1/24 Tamiya Sierra missing the clear sprue. I can make the windows and screens from clear acetate sheet, but hadn't thought of a way to do the lights - I shall give your method a go! :)

Thanks again

Keith 

5 minutes ago, Vesa Jussila said:

Is this European voltage? I have been looking these machines some time, but I have seen only US voltage machines.

No, it came from the USA but I use a transformer to bring it up to UK voltage.

Trevor

• Like 1

No problem, Vesa.  If you can get a Mattell vac-form machine, may I recommend you get the upgrade kit from eBay seller loteckengineering.  It is a very worthwhile investment.  You can also get plastic sheet in the correct size for the machine from them as well.

Trevor

• Like 1

Nice work: I've made A LOT of Starter 962s and those awful resin headlight assemblies are the only bad bit. I always replace them with acetate mouldings so I'm glad to see I'm not the only one! (same for their Sprint Jaguar XJRs by the way).

Thanks very much.  Having made the masters for both the 956 and the 962, it is a simple matter to vac-form proper headlight covers.  Other than that, Starter kits are usually very well detailed and a joy to put together.

Trevor

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...