Trumpeter 1/32 Lightning F2a

As some of you may know, the 1/32 Trumpeter Lightning falls short on a lot of fronts. The kit however is a very straightforward build out of the box and it does resemble a Lightning should you choose to build it this way.I had previously built a Trumpeter F3 with simple modifications (extending the fuselage by 5mm which removed the 'short wheeled base' appearance of the kit along with correcting the stalky u/c legs). I had the Trumpeter F6/2a kit in my stash and decided I would have a crack at improving the kit further. I chose to replicate XN776 ‘Charlie’ an F2a from 19 Squadron based at RAF Gutersloh, Germany. This particular aircraft was very lucky to survive and to go on to being preserved in a Scottish museum.

On the15th February 1974, the aircraft whilst being flown by Steve Gyles had the upper right cannon disintegrate and jam the rudder and aileron controls which very nearly forced Steve to eject from 'Charlie'. Steve however, stayed with the aircraft and made a safe recovery into Gutersloh. spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngThe improvements to the kit necessitated extending the fuselage by 5mm, reducing the profile and extending the length of the fuel tank, tapering the spine, correcting the profile of the rear fuselage, correcting the cockpit sides, correcting the undercarriage and numerous other smaller modifications. This project took around two years to complete (an off/on build!)

• Like 39
  • Thanks 1

Love this. The diorama is excellent. I love the support trailer you included. 

The colour looks very fitting. I do not know much about RAF post war jets in Germany and the correct colour schemes but yours looks very nice. I do love the Lightning but don know much about the variants..

a very well composed diorama with a top rate model to boot!

thanks for showing this

It must be quite a big model in 1:32 too? 

Regards, Andy 

Edited by Col Walter E Kurtz

The four looks very fitting. I do not know much about RAF post war jets in Germany and the correct colour schemes but yours looks very nice. I do love the Lightning but don know much about the variants..

thanks for showing this

Regards, Andy 

The four looks very fitting. I do not know much about RAF post war jets in Germany and the correct colour schemes but yours looks very nice. I do love the Lightning but don know much about the variants..

thanks for showing this

Regards, Andy 

Another lovely build. Interesting to read your modifications and corrections. What i did with my 1/72 Lightning was move the wings back which seemed to make the undercarriage spacing and fuselage look longer, and also shorten the u/c legs. Maybe a trick of the eye but it seemed to make it sit better.

5 hours ago, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

thanks for showing this

Regards, Andy 

Many thanks Andy! I had a lot of help from the pilot Steve Gyles regarding the colour. However, when I showed Steve the finished article he told me the port Firestreak was a white one on the day which necessitated a repaint!

2 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Beautiful. 

Many thanks!

• Like 1

Good model! very atmospheric images. 

Just a quick one, the Firestreaks seem to be mounted too far back on the fuselage, typically  the nose of the missile is just under the roundel, is this another of trumpeters cock ups?

Selwyn

• Thanks 1

Excellent job,...... the Lightning looks lovely,...... as does your garden and your amazing view over the countryside,..... lucky lad! 

Cheers

Tony

23 hours ago, Selwyn said:

Good model! vey atmospheric images. 

Just a quick one, the Firestreaks seem to be mounted too far back on the fuselage, typically  the nose of the missile is just under the roundel, is this another of trumpeters cock ups?

Selwyn

Can't blame Trumpeter for the FS positioning Selwyn...entirely my fault but easily remedied. Many thanks for your observations!

17 hours ago, tonyot said:

Excellent job,...... the Lightning looks lovely,...... as does your garden and your amazing view over the countryside,..... lucky lad! 

Cheers

Tony

Thank you Tony, yes I do feel lucky! Located not too far from Binbrook the home of the Lightning!

• Like 1