Revell 1/24 Volkswagen T1 Camper

JeroenS

On 2/11/2022 at 8:27 AM, Jonners said:

I've also just read through this thread for the first time, Jeroen. I really like some of your individual touches, such as the 'wooden' floor, and that was a good tip about bleach removing the chrome effect from plastic parts- I'll make use of that on my 2CV build, which at least doesn't have the same problem with ejector pin marks, thank goodness. I'll be watching your progress with interest. 

Jon

Hi Jonners, I use Oven Pride oven cleaner from the local Tesco store to remove chrome, quick and easy and safe! I've been using it over the last five years or so.

• Like 1

Today it was the little bus's turn in the paint shop. I spent some time masking it yesterday and again spraying white over the edges first. Again, I'm happy overall, this side will need some repairs though. Not too happy with that, but it should be possible to carefully fix.

20220214210327-91d633b0-me.jpg

A little bit on the rounded corners. 

20220214210326-532b53d0-me.jpg

This side is really nice and tight though. I left the tape a little too low in the other spots. It's difficult too see when masking, because it's not a flat area. 

20220214210327-34eb94df-me.jpg

I'll let this cure before starting the repairs. 

• Like 11

Yesterday I masked and resprayed the white on all of the doors. These are fine now. The roof has had its final coat of white and there's only one tiny speck of dust on it so I'm really glad. 

As you can see I did a total respray of the white on the front panel, I wasn't happy with it. 

20220220101241-cdb17c39-me.jpg

I will mask the white again (it's a tricky curve and it has a not very sharply defined edge) and respray the blue. 

While I'm doing that I'll fix this spot on the bus itself, the "dip" in the blue paint is too visible. 

20220220101240-fccf96b3-me.jpg

I hope to finish the paintwork today. 

In the meantime I painted the front seats and the rear benches, the greys are a mix of Vallejo colours, brush painted. 

20220220102204-709a69c8-me.jpg

On the chrome side, mixed feelings. Earlier, I buffed the paint with a soft cloth and the shine was excellent. Yesterday I applied the Aqua Gloss Clear and although I'm happy with how the logo came out (after some more buffing, I have to say this chrome paint is very sturdy),

20220220102819-d191f97f-me.jpg

I'm not so happy with the hubcaps, I couldn't see properly and sprayed too much of the Clear. 

20220220102818-7cf7ff97-me.jpg

There's a definite edge there. I think I'll micromesh them back and respray the chrome if necessary, then respray the clear. I like the realistic shine though, I'll definitely use this stuff more often. 

• Like 12

OK, so it's .... 

20220220165601-b1910252-me.jpg

20220220165602-d575b49f-me.jpg

round 2 for the front panel and the hubcaps... 

20220220165601-68f5a678-me.jpg

What happened to the front panel, you may ask... Well I thought hey let's use some Frog tape on this for masking. But it reacted with the paint in a major way so at first I tried sanding but in the end wiped it clean with a piece of cloth drenched in IPA (the one you don't drink, obviously). I did the same with the hubcaps, they needed new gloss black primer after sanding back the chrome paint so I cleaned them as well. 

However... I can't paint right now because it just rains and rains... And I have to open a window to let my extractor hose out. Doesn't look like it will be dry later this evening but who knows. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

15 hours ago, JeroenS said:

However... I can't paint right now because it just rains and rains... And I have to open a window to let my extractor hose out. Doesn't look like it will be dry later this evening but who knows. 

I have exactly this problem. 

You have been busy on this build for a while though. Civilian vehicles aren’t very forgiving, are they? I prefer to be able to hide mishaps with a bit of weathering!

28 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Civilian vehicles aren’t very forgiving, are they? I prefer to be able to hide mishaps with a bit of weathering!

Ha! Yes indeed, that's why I like to build trucks 🙂 

But this camper needs to be nice and shiny which is good for a change. The front panel mishap is only the first thing that went south so overall it's been quite good so far.  There's always something that needs redoing. 

Hi Jeroen Just picked up on this build. It is coming along very well. Like the look of the box art.I have done a couple of them but not the camper.Will follow as I am sure it will turn out great.

• Like 1

I really do like that compilation @Quiet Mike!

Meanwhile, I've been working on "my own" front panel. It was primed grey, then white, like the others (and like this panel was as well, before the screw up). Tonight I sprayed the blue, of which I had enough left luckily. I decided to do this panel in the way I had planned on doing the entire bus, namely blue first, then white. 

20220222213902-a63b1e7f-me.jpg

This is because I feel this edge is easier to mask "from the bottom". It should leave the raised area completely free of tape, which should lay nice and flat on the blue area. I will apply tape, spray some more blue around the edges so that if there's paint bleed, it is blue (or should be). Then I will reprime the grey, then white and then finally the top coat of white. And then I will leave it alone and spray my next VW bus in one colour!!!

While I had the blue out I carefully masked the rear left corner and made the repair. I'm happy with that.

20220222213901-639929e8-me.jpg

Also, the hubcaps are painted and clear coated, this time it went better. A spec of dust on the one bottom left but I felt I would ruin the paint if I tried to fix that so I left it. 

20220222213902-7e940def-me.jpg

These look fine now as far as I'm concerned. 

• Like 9

They look fine now as far as I'm concerned too. And the blue looks pretty good too.

I must admit you have made me a bit nervous with all your comments about masking around the rib which runs right around the thing - it wasn't something I'd particularly been concerned about but now I'm not looking forward to that bit of the masking. At least on the van there's a decal which I can use to cover the join 😁

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Spiny said:

They look fine now as far as I'm concerned too. And the blue looks pretty good too.

I must admit you have made me a bit nervous with all your comments about masking around the rib which runs right around the thing - it wasn't something I'd particularly been concerned about but now I'm not looking forward to that bit of the masking. At least on the van there's a decal which I can use to cover the join 😁

I think it's definitely easier to not mask the rib, if I'd do a two tone again, which I won't, I'd do it like I planned to do it this time around. But didn't 🙄

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

The Revell kits look lovely really.

Thanks Chris. 

The Revell kits do look lovely, I'm seriously considering getting the panel van. 

• Like 1

I clear coated the body, the roof, wheels and bumpers today. I micromeshed body and roof first, wet sanding with 4000 first, then 8000. 

There's a nice shine, I'm not going to do much more on this. 

20220223210507-7b37c054-me.jpg

I was happy with how the roof looked with just paint on so the clear coat should only improve that, and it did. 

20220223210508-4e90dc97-me.jpg

However. 

Don't you just hate that???

20220223210506-7e437fb1-me.jpg

In the spray booth, bench vent on full auto, and this ... thing... got sprayed on with the clear! Grrr.

Same happened on the door side of the bus, though less conspicuous. 

Question for the more experienced in nice finishes: will this polish our after careful sanding? 

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, JeroenS said:

Question for the more experienced in nice finishes: will this polish our after careful sanding?

Answer: Yes, with a but. A lot depends on at what stage that insect leg (or whatever it is) landed in the clear. If it was in the first layer then it's a big problem because you would have to polish back to the colour coat with all the risk of burn through - better to do a local polish then apply another top coat in that case. But if it was in one of the later clear layers then no reason at all why it won't just polish away with the paint.

• Like 1

So... I did manage to sand and polish most of the mishap from the roof. 

20220224215211-bb43b2b0-me.jpg

As soon as I put this picture up I realized it was no good because you can't see anything which is actually kind of a good thing, but there's still some evidence as you can see in this close up I made later. 

20220224215455-e9db1e28-me.jpg

I'm leaving it, the roof is going to look something like this anyway!

20220224215211-ff6a64f3-me.jpg

Just started on the racks, they got a coat of flat brown. I'll be trying to make it look like wood, the rest will be chromed. The racks will get a chrome rail on them as well.

The walls of the "turret" will get a sandy colour I think, and some chrome "scissor" parts as well. I'll be brush painting that chrome with Greenstuffworld chrome which is great paint. 

I clear coated the rest of the panels.

20220224215211-ed257fbc-me.jpg

Which went well except for another mishap... 

20220224215210-a1fef69d-me.jpg

No, that's not a nice shine, it's white paint showing through because... the lid of my curing box fell on it as I closed it, somewhat clumsily... well, leave the "somewhat" out. So this will have to be sanded and repainted. Ah well. I also managed to screw up the front panel, again. Obviously, my desired method of laying masking tape and then cutting it along the edge is not working for me. The edge is not sharply defined so there's nothing to set the blade against and apparently my cutting skills are not well enough defined either. Also, I managed to damage the paint with the knife. A little sanding and some more blue paint, and it's now drying again. I'm not touching it for a week and then I'll have to come up with a different method of masking. I have the thin white flexible masking strips, I think I used those on the first build as well. 

Anyway, about that March 1 deadline... I won't be making it, I didn't get to spend as much time on this build as was needed. Some three weeks ago, the company for which I do a lot of work suffered ... let's call it an unfortunate incident... and we're still dealing with the fall-out now. It's been mentally draining so it's been only the fact that this build is for a friend that's been keeping me going, which is a good thing. But, he'll be throwing a party on the 12th so that's my new deadline. How convenient!

• Like 6

Sorry to see the mishap on the door paint  that a shame, re your tape, I use fineline tape, it's great stuff for edging, it's a vinyl tape that goes round bends well and is used in the automotive industry , I use it when pinstripes around the panels on my VWs ( 1:1 ones) and it's great stuff. I get mine on ebay in varying widths.

Roof looking good and this is is a very pampered bus with lots of chrome.  Hope you can get finished in time for your mate's birthday.  

Great work

Chris

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Sorry to see the mishap on the door paint  that a shame, re your tape, I use fineline tape, it's great stuff for edging, it's a vinyl tape that goes round bends well and is used in the automotive industry , I use it when pinstripes around the panels on my VWs ( 1:1 ones) and it's great stuff. I get mine on ebay in varying widths.

Roof looking good and this is is a very pampered bus with lots of chrome.  Hope you can get finished in time for your mate's birthday.  

Great work

Chris

Thanks Chris, I was able to get some of that Fineline tape online.

• Like 1

Got a little bit done today, work is still eating up quite a bit of time and energy. I'm not moving as fast as I would like. But, well...  It had been a while since I actually had the glue out but I finished the wheels today. 

20220302215712-65bb6d30-me.jpg

The tyres are devoid of detail but the thread is ok and the hubcaps are nice. So a good look overall. 

I painted the "turret" as well. That nice orange/brown/yellowy fabric. 

20220302215712-08804f32-me.jpg

Which is exactly how I painted it... mix of orange brown and yellow. Box art says very orange but I didn't want to go there. I didn't even check Revell's call out actually, I rarely do anything "by the book". 

I fiddled with the wooden roof rack, brushed some oils over it. I think it's about how I'd like it to look. 

20220302215711-a9844eff-me.jpg

Looks a bit like a small boat. 

• Like 11