Revell 1/24 Volkswagen T1 Camper

JeroenS

17 hours ago, Spiny said:

One advantage of doing the van is that, even thought it's openable, I think/hope it will be so fark in there you won't be able to see the pin marks. :)

They are quite visible, sadly!

17 hours ago, Spiny said:

Just a thought on the paint - could you mask off the white bit before painting the blue? It might not guarantee the white area is totally paint free, but there's probably a good chance it would be free enough to get the white on without having to reprime.

Well, if I was confident I could neatly mask the white I would paint the white first, like I did last time. I will try my "new" method on the doors, which are separate. See how that goes. 

Still working on the pin marks. I punch small circles which fit the diameter of the pin mark out of very thin sheet and glue them in. 

20220130212236-e2c14126-me.jpg

Then sand these flush. This door will be open and all pin marks would have been quite visible (they still are because the sanding is not done yet, just so you know 😉 ).  

Still lots more to go. 

20220130212233-4993f124-me.jpg

But enough about these things. 

For fun, I'm putting in some "wooden" flooring in the living area. 

20220130212234-8935a2ab-me.jpg

Should look nice when finished, I hope to be able to get a nice wood finish on it. 

20220130212234-a2cd5851-me.jpg

This type of flooring is called a Hungarian Point. 

I will not be finishing the furniture in the obligatory dark veneer, I'll be going for a lighter, more modern look. I think my friend will appreciate that. 

• Like 11

On 1/29/2022 at 5:07 PM, JeroenS said:

You just have to love these things. 

I do! So cute. And so rare these days!

Edited by Alan R
Odd server error!
  • Like 1

I finished sanding all the pin marks, now I just have to sand everything with a finer grid to finish that particular process. 

Also, I finished the flooring. 

20220202214730-3c35583d-me.jpg

(Benches still dry-fitted)

And I felt like painting something. Always gives a feeling of progress 🙂 

So I painted the underside. The body will be nice and shiny but the underside should at least show a little wear and tear. I primed in Mr Surfacer Black, then undercoated in Tamiya's Red Brown, then sprayed Flat Black and Nato Black, sort of alternating the colours with low flow, from a distance, misting it on really. Then a light misting of some more Red Brown. 

20220202214449-a7b2c341-me.jpg

20220202214449-bb02c926-me.jpg

I will drybrush some metal colours here and there and add a little bit of dirt and such, not too much. 

• Like 9

I made the underside just a little more interesting, I don't feel much more is needed for this build. 

20220203205608-bd82ae6d-me.jpg

I simply (semi) dry brushed alu, gun metal, and Vallejo "dirt" colours (I use german cam medium brown and orange brown) to hint at this thing being a little used. More to accentuate the various parts than anything else. A heavily weathered underside will look out of place with the pristine top. However, a pristine underside just doesn't sit well with me. There'll be nothing to look at. 

• Like 10

Getting ready for primer. I started out by glueing the 2 floor parts together. 

Some clamping... 

20220205160815-55c33374-me.jpg

Then the 2 side panels. Some more clamping... 

20220205160815-78951c07-me.jpg

20220205160816-5050e9cc-me.jpg

Some fettling was required to get everything lined up and fitting correctly. But the body is now at a stage I'm happy with, this is a solid base. 

20220205160816-4d8ff75b-me.jpg

I found that the front panel attaches easily so I will paint that separately. 

20220205160814-9629b93f-me.jpg

In the meantime I assembled some other parts like the wheels and the extendable roof. I chose the US style bumpers over the European. 

20220205161620-848d2b69-me.jpg

I will now start masking the underside so I can get some paint going. That's the downside of this building method... masking is a little more difficult. 

• Like 10

OK I'm ready for primer. 

20220206090656-1156f952-me.jpg

20220206090655-ef8e64d3-me.jpg

However, the weather is not, it's hard winds and rain today. It's not that I have to paint outside, but I do have to open a window to let the extractor hose of my Benchvent out. Last time I did that when it rained (it started raining as I was painting) it got ... a little ... wet inside! 

So looks like painting is postponed until tomorrow. 

• Like 10

I was able to do a little bit of painting yesterday, it was actually dry for about half an hour. I did the rest this evening. 

So we now have a nice grey bus. 

20220207213410-5e8c3775-me.jpg

The Mr Surfacer 1500 going on very smoothly as usual. 

Various body parts were also painted. 

20220207213411-fa89e43f-me.jpg

And the interior parts, primed yesterday, even received a bit of colour today. 

20220207213410-83b5e7ef-me.jpg

The cupboards are a mix of light and medium blue. The bench cushions will probably get a dark grey as a contrast to the blue. Well, I'm no stylist so we'll see how that looks 🙂 

The front seats will be lighter grey, they've already had their sides painted a little darker. 

• Like 11

10 hours ago, Stickframe said:

HI Jeroen, it's remarkable how quickly you are doing this, while maintaining such high quality!  very nice!

Cheers

Nick 

Thanks Nick, well the tricky part is still to come! And just 3 more weeks until D-Day 🙂 .... Although I think I can make that without too much trouble. Much depends on how the two tone paint goes down on the outside, but first I'll paint the inside. 

Not much to show, but I thought I'd check in with some progress. Here's a picture of some white stuff. 

20220209213651-c421980c-me.jpg

The photo is not very good but it shows some parts in white primer (over grey). These parts will receive gloss white later. I've given the upper halves of the body and the camper interior the same treatment.

These are the hubcaps, lights and the VW logo which I'll be chroming with Alclad chrome, new to me so I'm curious. 

20220209213650-e1beee15-me.jpg

Black gloss primer is on. 

20220209213650-564bb9e0-me.jpg

It went on quite well I must say. I'm looking forward to the chrome paint. 

• Like 9

Oooooooo a Westy SO42.  This looks lovely . Great work so far, gonna have to get one of these. Got the Revell Panel Van but need to build a Sun liner conversion and will use this kit and the roof of the Panel van.  

Looking very nice so far 

Chris

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Oooooooo a Westy SO42.  This looks lovely . Great work so far, gonna have to get one of these. Got the Revell Panel Van but need to build a Sun liner conversion and will use this kit and the roof of the Panel van.  

Looking very nice so far 

Chris

Thanks Chris, a Westy, yes indeed. I had no idea they were called that, obviously I knew what Westfalia was but when I did a little bit of research for this I learned that there were lots of different interiors for it. This little bus, I just love it, it's so iconic. The front, the rounded shape of the back corners... I may just do the panel van as well, because this camper will not end up in my own cabinet. Well, I suppose I could just keep it and give my friend a case of beer or something :whistle:

Today I sprayed the Alclad chrome, as I said my first time using this but it's really nice. It went on well enough, though not entirely smooth on some of the hubcaps. I'll let it dry thoroughly and run a soft cloth over it before clear coating it, that should do I think. 

20220210215312-61c7190b-me.jpg

I also had the gloss white out and started out painting the insides of the panels (well, the top halves), the roof extension and the bumpers and wheels. I had enough paint left  and I felt like it, so I also painted the top halves of the outside of the body panels. I guess this means that I'm now masking the white before painting the blue.... But since it's gloss paint I'll wait for a while before going anywhere near it. Lots of other stuff still to do anyway. 

• Like 6

Oh wow the Hubcaps have turned out really well, they look stunning.  The Westies are lovely.  Having seen yours going together I know to get this one then it saves me cutting all the side windows out and the Sunbus my mate has is exactly the same as the Westie interior anyway so will save me a lot of scratch work  I have had his wheels made already.

You are doing a cracking job with this.  

Chris

• Like 1

Just discovered this amazing build @JeroenS and hooked already! The Westy is the King of VW campervan conversions 😎

I have been tempted with getting a Type 2 kit for a while, but resisted temptation so far. Your build may inspire me to follow in your footsteps! Part of my reticence may be that I have a 1:1 scale in the shed, and I am intimately familiar with it, often having to crawl underneath chopping rot out and welding in new metal in. It's a love/hate affair!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Quiet Mike said:

Just discovered this amazing build @JeroenS and hooked already! The Westy is the King of VW campervan conversions 😎

I have been tempted with getting a Type 2 kit for a while, but resisted temptation so far. Your build may inspire me to follow in your footsteps! Part of my reticence may be that I have a 1:1 scale in the shed, and I am intimately familiar with it, often having to crawl underneath chopping rot out and welding in new metal in. It's a love/hate affair!

Right, it must be hard work to keep one of these road worthy!

I've also just read through this thread for the first time, Jeroen. I really like some of your individual touches, such as the 'wooden' floor, and that was a good tip about bleach removing the chrome effect from plastic parts- I'll make use of that on my 2CV build, which at least doesn't have the same problem with ejector pin marks, thank goodness. I'll be watching your progress with interest. 

Jon

• Like 1

OK it was time to start work on the two tone scheme. I already decided to deviate from my initial plan of painting blue first, then white. This was because when I was painting white I just went ahead with that. 

I was a little apprehensive about the masking but it went better than on my first project back in 2018. I found that the bulge in the middle of the panels is less prominent in 1/24 than in 1/16. Also, my skills have improved some since then so that may have helped as well. 

Anyway. First I had to mix some paint, I chose a mix of 2 parts gloss Sky Blue and 1 part gloss White. I think it came out a good colour. 

Yesterday I masked and sprayed white over the tape first, so that most of the bleed would be white. I don't know if it helped, but it may have. Today I painted the blue. Here we are after 2 coats of my blue mix. 

20220213122106-81803e5c-me.jpg

Here the panels unmasked. 

20220213122106-81803e5c-me.jpg

Apparently a masking error here. 

20220213122107-c104b2ae-me.jpg

This may need some touching up as well. 

20220213122105-1a5673b1-me.jpg

All in all I'm quite happy. I will now start masking the bus itself, the side and back panels. I'm more confident after getting this result. 

• Like 11

Got to agree about the paint - it looks good and the small issues look fixable. I've also got to say that you've got a very good finish there - usually I can only achieve that sor of shine after far too much polishing.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2022 at 7:56 PM, JeroenS said:

Got a bit more done this evening. Underside is finished, parts wise. 

20220126205020-de027d7d-me.jpg

Luckily, Revell chrome gives in easily against some household bleach so that's sorted.  

20220126205020-09e7317f-me.jpg

Right now I'm pondering what to do about the engine. It's a sorry looking affair, really. 

20220126205019-d88fc9fa-me.jpg

So I'm trawling for reference pics right now. I'll have to think about this, yesterday I said I couldn't have anything slowing me down, but.... but... 

Well Jeroen, I was the same as you so searched on Shapeways 3D website and found this. made by Ron Olsen, under 3D Specialities. When I had it delivered with a VW Van Roof Rack by Kingtoys it had a Netherlands address.

photo-vi.png

It was just £7.95 plus shipping but that was two years ago.

• Like 1