"She's Apples" - RAAF Douglas Boston III A28-9 - done...phew!

So I mentioned the fit earlier…

Argh

The fit of the forward fuselage is, umm, challenging… I’ve been test fitting and sanding and fettling but I think I’m going to have to fill a 2-3mm gap forward of the cockpit. Initially thought I had to keep sanding down the bulkhead and cockpit floor to close up the gap but then dry fitted the canopy and nose and it I think how the kit is  engineered means I need to fill the gap rather than force it up so the nose and canopy fit relatively flush.

So this kit is a challenge. I’ve started assembling one of the engine cowls and it’s proving tricky too. Small guide pins, poor alignment, ambiguous instructions.

Guess I’ll do my best with major assemblies on the weekend and see if I can make a respectable job of it. This might be beyond my current abilities but even if it is I’ll treat it as a learning/skill development opportunity, and see where I end up with it.

Gerard

• Like 4
  • Sad 3

Glad to hear you're planning to make the most of a bad situation. I think it's best to use it as a learning opportunity. Even if it doesn't turn out perfect or how you envisaged it, you only get the skills by trying to do them. 

In any case I'm sure you'll make good work out of it Gerard! 

• Like 1

Was about to ask how the clear parts fitted in relation to the fuselage width but that is bad news. Or, as you say, a learning opportunity.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Wings unlevel said:

The fit of the forward fuselage is, umm, challenging… I’ve been test fitting and sanding and fettling but I think I’m going to have to fill a 2-3mm gap forward of the cockpit. Initially thought I had to keep sanding down the bulkhead and cockpit floor to close up the gap but then dry fitted the canopy and nose and it I think how the kit is  engineered means I need to fill the gap rather than force it up so the nose and canopy fit relatively flush.

So are you saying the fuselage is actually missing 2-3 mm of plastic ? Wow if thats the issue my hat is off sir its not an easy fix to get it smooth. Good thing you opted for a camouflaged bird. 

8 hours ago, Wings unlevel said:

This might be beyond my current abilities but even if it is I’ll treat it as a learning/skill development opportunity, and see where I end up with it.

Good attitude … not too mention you can always revisit this again in the future and build it again. Good way to compare skill sets over time. 

• Like 2

I built the RAF Boston III boxing over the winter and had the same problems with the fuselage… I just filled the 2-3mm gap with plasticard and everything else then (more or less) fit around it. Hard work, but was ultimately well worth it as it ends up a lovely looking kit!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, arfa1983 said:

Even if it doesn't turn out perfect or how you envisaged it, you only get the skills by trying to do them. 

Definitely going to build something from Tamiya or maybe Fine Molds next! 🤣

But I’ve got nothing to lose with this build, I can be braver trying to correct it rather than worrying if I try something new that doesn’t work out that I’d be ruining an otherwise good model.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Wow if thats the issue my hat is off sir its not an easy fix to get it smooth.

Yes I’m eyeing it off with some trepidation!

I will be very frustrated if I make a hash of it and end up putting it aside, but I remind myself to be grateful that I have the luxury of getting upset at the triviality of trying to glue a few bits of plastic together!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, M.T.Dolby said:

I built the RAF Boston III boxing over the winter and had the same problems with the fuselage… I just filled the 2-3mm gap with plasticard and everything else then (more or less) fit around it. Hard work, but was ultimately well worth it as it ends up a lovely looking kit!

Thanks MT. Very encouraging to hear this wasn’t a problem entirely of my own making. I really do love the Havoc/Boston so keen to do it some kind of justice!

• Like 2

Goodness! That's a bit extreme. Looks like plasticard is the G.O. for a nice fix. Give it a crack... I mean a fill 🤓

Visited the little shop yesterday. Wow! It's fantastic and the two lads love a quality chat. They've got all the gear to tackle the fit issue. Found a gem of a kit and some supplies. And the ladies at Juliette Coffee & Bread round the corner do the best coffee I've had in ages. Thanks for the heads up. Good luck.

• Like 1

Strip plastic is your friend here. Comes in varying widths and thickness, found in model railroad sections of shops mostly. Measure your gap front, middle, and back then find the strip thats closest to the widest part. Once you have that its easy enough to cut and file it to shape. Use a couple of pieces as cross members inside to support it and fill any bits left. Apologies if you knew all this. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Strip plastic is your friend here. Comes in varying widths and thickness, found in model railroad sections of shops mostly. Measure your gap front, middle, and back then find the strip thats closest to the widest part. Once you have that its easy enough to cut and file it to shape. Use a couple of pieces as cross members inside to support it and fill any bits left. Apologies if you knew all this. 

Advice was very much appreciated (with acknowledgment to @Maginot as well) and acted upon! Thank you!

Turns out the gap was ‘only’ 1mm wide and 10mm long. I now have more strips of 1mm wide Evergreen brand polystyrene than I’ll get through in quite some time, but the gap is bridged.

Progress

• Like 4

Much more confident I can make a fist of this now after some good progress today. Wings and horizontal tails now assembled too and dry fitted - much better fit than the fuselage so that’s encouraging. If I can now do a decent job of the engines and cowlings I think I may finish up with a half respectable model - with lots of good skill development on the way through! 🤞

Progress

Very much appreciate the support, encouragement and tips so far.

Thanks to that she may yet be apples!

Gerard

• Like 7

You’ll find that plastic is good for all sorts of gap filling. Wings, fuselage you name it, cut a piece ever slightly larger and slide it into a gap. Flood said gap with liquid glue (I use Tamiya extra thin myself) and it will soften and fill the gap. Then a very light dab of filler will finish it off. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 3