"Stop, Hammer Time!" - IDF F-4E - Tayeset 69 "The Hammers" 1988 - completed

Well after heaps of thought over the past few days I have finally decided what to build as a replacement for the Tomcat disaster. I had 5 or 6 other possible builds but kept coming back to this one, it’s something I have been wanting to build for sometime. An IDF F-4E with huge kick-bottom missiles! :D

So the base build will be the lovely Zoukei-Mura F-4E (Early).

IMG_6001-L.jpg

IMG_6002-L.jpg

I will need to update this to a later F-4E, so will use the Hypersonic “Slat” wings conversion set, this company turns out awesome resin stuff.

IMG_6005-M.jpg

IMG_5810-L.jpg

IMG_5811-L.jpg

Plus Hypersonic has a canopy detail set as well, not sure if I’ll use this set or not.

An In-flight re-fueling probe from Wingman

IMG_6004-L.jpg

It also appears I’ll need to update the exhaust cans as well, the ZM kits from what I have found out come with the early style, I didn’t even realize there was a difference. So a set from Reskit is on the way.

IMG_6764-L.jpg

Now I really wanted to fit a pair of these huge AGM-142 “Popeyes” but this is where I got stumped for quite a while. It initially appeared that these were only fitted to F-4E 2000’s which were the updated/upgraded Phantoms. Not a huge difference but the cockpits would need to be done. Lots of messing around, something I really don’t want to do at the moment. 

IMG_6003-L.jpg

After quite a bit of research I found out these missiles were operational Sqn 69 in 1988 (they did testing with them in 1987). They didn’t receive F-4E 2000’s (along with other Sqn’s) until 1991. There are quite a few photos dated 1988/89 showing this store layout, which is also super cool. For this loadout I suspect there may have been a screen added to the rear cockpit. I can’t find any photos showing it on these early F-4E’s. So I may have to mock something up. Plus I will need the Data-Link pod, luckily one came with my F-111C. I will also need to extend the inner wing pylons for the AGM’s to fit, should be a reasonably simple task.

I have the Isradecal set for the Hammers, but unfortunately no instructions or guides for them.

IMG_6763-M.jpg

Plus I have plenty of backup stuff as well as insignia masks which I will be using.

IMG_6006-M.jpg

Finally to help put this all together the important reference guides, these book are as good as it gets. For anyone interested in IDF Phantoms, they are a must…..though a little expensive.

IMG_6765-L.jpg

I have built a ZM F-4E before and it’s a really nice model to build with no nasty surprises. I only didn’t finish the first one due to a disaster with the decals, they all pretty much silvered and lifted off with the clear coats! (I still haven’t decided to strip the paint back or try retry clear coats to see if I can recover the original finish).

So hopefully I better luck with this one this time!  :pray:

• Like 22

• trickyrich changed the title to "Stop, Hammer Time!" - IDF F-4E - Squadron 69 "The Hammers" 1988

Oooooh! An IDF Phantom carrying a set of FBMs, nice one Rich, no surprise to see a bucket-load of resin will be featuring in this project of course :D

Of course if once you get to the painting and decaling stage the other IDF Phantom puts in the odd guest appearance as you rescue it through to the finish I'm sure nobody will object :whistle: 

1 hour ago, Col. said:

Oooooh! An IDF Phantom carrying a set of FBMs, nice one Rich, no surprise to see a bucket-load of resin will be featuring in this project of course :D

Of course if once you get to the painting and decaling stage the other IDF Phantom puts in the odd guest appearance as you rescue it through to the finish I'm sure nobody will object :whistle: 

nah the other Phantom will stay RAAF.

Have started playing with this one, Wow the Hypersonic resin update set is awesome!!!! :thumbsup: Has to be some to the nicest resin sets I've played with.

Plus the build/conversion is getting easier the more I research, the cockpit (other then the TV display??? not sure if they had one) is very much the same as the kits. The Hammers also never updated their F-4E' to 2000's, by 1994 they were disbanded/absorbed into another squadron so kept their F-4E's in there original condition, this make the process so much easier.

The one fly I discovered is the AGM-142's I have are the later model, plus they don't have the window in the nose. Have some of the early ones from the F-111C build, but I shortened them for the "Lite" version.  have done a bit of a mash up to make the correct type, but may now just buy the correct ones....will see.

• Like 2

G'day Rich,

Can't you just use some black decal film or mask and paint a black square for the AGM-142 window?

If (who am I kidding - when!) you buy another set to get the 'correct' version (with the window) are you going to scratch the MK.82 warhead and the three battery packs visible through the window as well? 😊

Pappy

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

• trickyrich changed the title to "Stop, Hammer Time!" - IDF F-4E - Tayeset 69 "The Hammers" 1988

It’s an update I wasn’t really planning!! I had planned to get the Growler along a bit further before I started this build…… but I wasted too much time on the Tomcat!

So I started playing with a few bits and did a bit more research and before you know it plastic, and resin was flying everywhere! :yahoo:

Ok I did my usual trick of building up modules, helps I think speed up the build, having built this one before ….almost! :doh:

The cockpit/nose wheel well is together, the new resin radar scope is in place. Got too carried away here, glued it all together only to realize way later I needed to use part off another sprue!!! That’ll teach me, no harm, the differences a really minor, plus an extra cut out for one of the side panels. Must read/check instructions more often.

IMG_6771-L.jpg

Popped the inner wings together, fitted the new inner slats, the RH side didn’t fit 100% even after prior adjusting, and managed to get CA glue everywhere  :wall: , extra unneeded clearing required.  The outers fit perfectly; they’re just sitting there at the moment.

IMG_6770-L.jpg

These are the new resin outer wings, really nicely done. They have used 2 types of resin here, the softer grey, beautifully detailed, and a much harder cream resin. This give extra support for the control arms for the movable flying surface, very nicely thought out, and again the detailing is perfect.

IMG_6769-L.jpg

For the underside you get sections of adhesive plastic (I think) to replicate the strengthening plate/brace. I was reading that the IDF Phantoms did have additional strengthening sheets in this area, but I can’t find good photos that show them, and I don’t know how noticeable they were, so will leave this. The TISEO sensor is fitted, plus you can see the detail on the underside of a “Slatted” wing.

IMG_6768-L.jpg

The really nice thing with Zoukei-Mura kits, this one in particular is the huge amount of “extra” bit that come with it that are for future releases, good forward planning. You have pretty much all you need for the later models. At this stage in the Kurnass’s life Air to Air duties were taken over by other aircraft so they stopped carrying AIM-7’s. So various additional mounts/racks were made to use these spots for additional stores. In this case a single AIM-9D Sidewinder was fitted to the LH fwd Sparrow position. ZM gives you the base mount (2 actually) which was used to carry an ECM pod (IDF aircraft did use them in this position to). I have the missile, launch rail and fuselage mount, I just need to make the simple extension.

IMG_6767-L.jpg

As can be seen it’s very basic and will be simple to make.

IMG_6774-L.jpg

Same with the #2&8 pylons, they need to have flare/chaff dispensers fitted to the rear of these pylon, and low and behold they are there!! Nice one ZM!  :thumbsup:

IMG_6772-L.jpg

To fit the AGM-142, none shortened Mk.84’s and other long store on these pylons, they modified by making them longer. The black line on the kit part is about where I need to cut before adding a section. The reference book give me a good picture of how it’s meant to look. A bit of surgery and sanding and all will be good……I love this sort of stuff!

IMG_6773-L.jpg

Oh, and my Mk.84’s have shown up (among other things)…. got some great pictures of IDF F-4E’s with 4 of these beasts fitted!

IMG_6775-L.jpg

This build has gotten me so excited; I was worried there was going to be a lot of fiddley mod work required to convert this to the aircraft I need (thought it was a F-4E 2000), but it’s turning out to be a lot simpler than expects. Help enormously by this wonderful ZM model. :thumbsup::wub:

Oh and the “office” it currently looks like a disaster area, bit everytime I look at it now it fills me with modelling joy!  Oh and that green plant at the top (just see it) is a Hop’s vine, have 2 of them outside my window to remind me of beer…. As if I need reminding!

IMG_6779-L.jpg

:cheers:

• Like 11

• trickyrich changed the title to "Stop, Hammer Time!" - IDF F-4E - Tayeset 69 "The Hammers" 1988 - "can't touch this"....... started!
18 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Are we still in the Phantom GB? Will we ever escape

Why do you want to? 😉

Best plane ever. My strategy is to look for GBs I can build one.... with a bit of variety, as signature.

Chris

Edited by Chrisj2003
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, trickyrich said:

As can be seen it’s very basic and will be simple to make.

IMG_6774-L.jpg

Unusual use of stations, but has logic when you're using a Rhino as a bomb missile truck.

Chris

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

I have a strong sensation of deja vu over this. Are we still in the Phantom GB? Will we ever escape?

Think of us as ticking over until the next edition :D

• Like 3

A USAFE D was a contender for me...but I didn't want to do more or less the same build back to back.  Need to finish up my anti-ship Rhino before I jump into this GB proper.  :D

7 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

I have a strong sensation of deja vu over this. Are we still in the Phantom GB? Will we ever escape?

Never!  :rofl2:

7 hours ago, Col. said:

Think of us as ticking over until the next edition :D

Not many missions 1 variant of Phantom or another can't do.  And so many delicious flavors of schemes & operators.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DaveJL said:

Nice start mate! I've a few of the ZM F-4EJ kits in the stash, might look at converting one to an IDF machine. I do have a Hasegawa kit lined up for it but the ZM kits look better detailed etc.

Thanks, I see a brand new RF-4E(S) conversion set has just been released by Isracast!!!!!  :wub: I'm waiting impatiently for their distributors to get tock as they won't ship to Aust!!!  But will need another ZM Phantom, but don't need the "Slat" upgrade as they were the early non-slated variety.

8 hours ago, Chrisj2003 said:

Unusual use of stations, but has logic when you're using a Rhino as a bomb missile truck.

Chris

I'll have to have a dig around and se if I can find any pictures of them configured like this. It is interesting that they only ever carried one Sidewinder (same with the Recon birds), guess they figured one would be enough to distract the opposition while they made a run for it!

Sounds like we need another Phantom STGB!!!  :D

Maybe we just need to have an continuous Awesome Birds GB for F-4/14/15/16/18's........ that would keep us busy and off the streets!! :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, exdraken said:

Nice project!

This refueling probe looks somewhat familiar.... :whistle:

Hmm I wonder why? :D

Am glad I got 2 at the time, looks like I'll be needed the second one soon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Rich, your thread title is driving me crazy. Every time I look at your build it restarts the 'Can't Touch That' earworm which has plagued me for a week now!

....and just for you!  :rofl2:

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Rich, your thread title is driving me crazy. Every time I look at your build it restarts the 'Can't Touch That' earworm which has plagued me for a week now!

Better that than “We Pray” by MC Hammer. 

Pray https://g.co/kgs/wyn1ik