PK-410 Grumman EA-6B Prowler ---Finished

This is the only original style Matchbox boxing in my stash so its a major decision to give it a go.  A 1979 tooling it has the deep panel lines associated with the earlier tranche of kits. Molded on 3 sprues in light grey, greeney grey and white. The plastic is heavy and shiny. There are 4 identical crewmen supplied and the cockpit tub is molded in two pieces with seats as part of the mold. Wings can be attached in folded or operating positions. Clear parts are quite thick but in good nick. I wont try to enhance them with a dip in Clear type fluids. The decals are what you would expect in a kit that is between 25 and 40 years old. I'm currently in slightly warmer climes than home so I might get a chance to sun bleach them, it isn't currently warm enough however to work outside too much, so my airbrushing opportunities will be limited

I have generally struggled with a full white underside on larger kits so this is a risk for me. 

y4mMIgIU8Tg5WeCM1PSs-Yrf4igIiWXKDeFGhfrb

y4m9vXwVp3VovJVnbRivdbucZohqDUb1xdpnsKf-

y4mr7u_5goWLrHd31ZPvPVcPumZT5KS1OklZZgUW

• Like 18

Hi Derek

Delighted you have brought the Prowler to the GB, those colours of plastics are quite restrained by Matchbox standards.

Thank you for bringing this classis to the GB, I hope you enjoy the build, best of luck.

Cheers Pat 

• Thanks 1

Another Red Range classic and I'm glad you're happy to break it open and built it for us within this Group Build. I recall my good friend having this kit and still remember us comparing the detail of it to the rather nice Hasegawa S-3 Viking I was making at the time - boy what a difference! Once again, it was a version quite different to the norm, so we should still be happy with that. 

Cheers, welcome aboard and best of luck.. Dave  

• Like 1

Some work completed today. Not in my home mancave so setting up for hobby work can be a chore but I'll struggle on😆.

Seemingly the aircraft was crewed by identical quadruplets and these have been suitably decorated to the level expected by the proverbial blind man on a galloping horse.

y4mNbPHyNL4WwHw9hKeBaY-eJpvSBXAONyaxwrOm

I had given the parts a cursory primer as it was a bit freaky handling the multi-coloured high gloss pieces. Manufactured in days where you slapped on thick enamels I'm a bit concerned as to how it will all behave when masking is required. Primer is Vallejo acrylic polyurethane. I intend to go with Tamiya XF2 on the underside. In two minds whether to use Vallejo Model Air Light Gull Grey or a mix of Tamiya Sky Grey/White on the top.  Clear coats will be all be AK acrylic stuff. I've had Tamiya turn to goo with some decal solutions and non Tamiya clear coats in the past.

Anyhow... 

There is no console decal sheet so I tried to give the tiny control panels some element of depth and reality. They will hardly be seen ,so galloping horse territory again.

Joining the fuselage halves while encompassing the cockpit assemblies required more hands and fingers than a normal human has. I also fixed some probably excessive weight under the cockpit, I'm not sure whether its a tail sitter or not. Halves joined....... and there will be filler and sanding and filler and.....

y4m9yN9OAsmAi4x4fNpVNlpyN6SIM-PkUrWQZlVY

y4mwps1afDTcegcKgm3llTNOdaIH_rBuUJZSPp7m

• Like 11

fuselage joints sanded and look okay. A coat of primer will reveal the truth.

Wing roots, main engine parts attached. Theres a coice to align engine with wings and leave a gap underneath, or align underneath and leave big gap with wings. I align as best as possible with wings and fill gap underneath using AK White Putty.

Canopies masked while watching the rugby. 

y4m2phCotkYj2VzY0bXooCyUHGU8e3LI3CLBAJCF

y4mUb1HPBlJyI-VM6LVqaT5LbJO74iCXsepXYaJh

y4mxhjTtNfteBin_-2rsb_KVwPqe_i-YeMiqZiwt

Nose and outer wings loosely attached....it now looks like a Prowler....

y4mhOW_i_IFOFUAk06TBsrBgtFsopViix5JWWJOc

There's a choice for wings extended or folded and instructions are not to cement joint biscuits so you can switch back or forward......leaves wings too loose. 

Next step will be a little more primer and see what else needs filling.

• Like 13

Nice updates Derek and there seems like a few parts to cement together to get that fuselage all buttoned up. Your doing a great job and it’s certainly Prowler-like in that last photo. Looking good. 
Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

Corr, I forgot I made this too,  This was an xmas pressie, way off of my Normal low cost kits , Almost a holy grail, It now mostly lives in the spares box.

I will be tuning in for the result for sure!

• Like 1

Got a full primer coat on using Vallejo primer grey. Not my best effort, In Spanish  holiday home and have to airbrush outside, usually not a problem but temperature today was around 13 degrees and neither paint nor airbrush seemed to behave well. Highlighted more filler requirements, done and touched up. Leave it to cure for a couple of days before attempting next steps.

Derek

y4mmRCRx8d1wrntbqaA7d9eb6UT1PZ-ah1oUS16i

• Like 8

Spent Friday trying to get a coat of Tamiya XF2 to sit nicely underneath and on the white upper surfaces.... didn't behave too well...and its wy too white.

Finally gave the XF2 an overcoat of Revell Aqua white, highly thinned, I happened to have a pot from a Revell starter set. Its much more off white and seemed to take to the XF2 base nicely.

Masked up today for a coat of Vallejo Model Air, Light Gull Grey.

y4m5h_HAcf25LiRZABN7Dtxe3ILKVwr-R4PSLdPS

y4mkkVfHVhf_t30Y3B-164mskVW_7EvBpsyI5bzN

Lt. Gull grey went down nicely, for once. Peeled off most of the masking. A few touch up spots needed but pretty happy. Leaving some masking in place to apply yellow leading edges. Ill let the grey cook overnight before re-masking

y4mNUV1ysdYTZEMZQ8gq3l_SVyblIXMsqc_yif2n

• Like 9

Great work Derek. Unmasking is always one of those 'hand in your heart' moments, so its always good to see when this chore has come off quite well. The Prowler is looking great. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

more masking....then adding the detail , sea grey walkway, yellow leading edges, Oak???? Tan/Beige nose and intake edges. Softened fuselage paint edges, Undercarriage and loadout painted and ready for attachment,. I now  see some more touch up areas in the photos...

next step ...gloss coat followed by (dramatic music)  .....30-40 year old decals😟

y4mcFONEoWLtKFl87Ahv-OlPLUGxp-rvYTlzXDcx

y4mRR2GnNtLKyqdmYvshxcvSPo7sCK8_mLEcgE4O

• Like 7

Built one of these when it came out as I was a bit too skint to buy the Hasegawa one. It is an impressive looking kit even if the review in D&S is a bit negative. Sometime I will get round to building the Hasegawa one, but even that gets a bit of critisism, particularly regarding the tinted canopy (or not) depending on the boxing - apparently only the front end should be tinted but Hase either tint nothing or tint the lot.

Pete

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Calling this done.

Amazingly the decals went on with out a problem with the exception of the tiny yellow No Step stencils. Considering the kit was purchase originally at least 37 years ago, this is fairly exceptional. I've has equivalent and less old Airfix decals disintegrate  on contact with water on many occasions.

Canopy fit was a bit of an issue, Needed some PVA glue filling to ensure windscreen and top lid fitted together. I may redo these but for now its time to call ahalt.

Main issues are air intake nozzle fit and the fact that the undercarriage should be splayed slightly, the kit only allows a straight fit.

y4mQS0a9h2d7g6I1VRoOc0Vijw1h0Q885Lahinog

y4m-hXNcsjEj0z52aeZjNLaqQ4WhN6CC7DctK52R

y4mA_F2_2YMgaVwnWIl8qryKo4W6yMcoJcqQzbiV

y4myUcvJkqZXacoVANiBURlf6YR6UzFRYLVA6CpX

y4mmqbcL5_LOpC3VEkuk70UzVHbnoeMWt3fdM4SK

• Like 16

• Derek D. changed the title to PK-410 Grumman EA-6B Prowler ---Finished