1:32 scale USAAF P-47D Bubbletop - 56th FG "Miss Fire" aka "Rozzie Geth II "

35 minutes ago, Alan P said:

I had a feeling this would turn out right! Must be a huge base area, but looks very effective in the photos. I particularly like the paint effects and chipping/wear on the cowling and OD anti-glare panel on the aircraft, just right 👍

Maybe you could add figures when time and funds permit, as others have mentioned it would bring the diorama to life. As it is, you could just say it was chow time 😂

Really well done 👏👏👏

Thank You Alan. I am pleased with the overall effect. I got some good tips and inspiration from others during the WIP. Thanks for your very positive comments on my weathering approach. It's always difficult to be restrained with this I find. I tried a new method on the OD to get the weathering. Using masking tape to pull off the OD before it was fully cured revealing the bare metal underneath. 

The base board is 48 x 68 cm which is not huge but probably SWMBOd would not permit a permanent display of this 😂 It's just big enough and with the lines moving towards the Vanishing Point , to accentuate the size tricking the eye .

Totally agree re: figures.  Can you recommend any ? I've seen some ICM offerings in 1:32 but not seen any USAAF ground crew. (I have their 1:48 scale set ) Luckily My nephew works for a 3D printing company so I'm also investigating what he might be able to do for me. Guess the ground crew are on a very long chow break for the time being! 

I really did enjoy the scratch building for this. Made me more confident as a modeller and it's always very satisfying to receive such positive comments here! 

Kind Regards, Andy

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

Thank you Sat! I am most humbled by your appreciation. Think it could be improved with some ground crew figures? 

I'm inclined to think it's just fine, without figures. The diorama represents a quiet moment in the life of an active P-47. Your thoughts on this are most welcome.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, SAT69 said:

I'm inclined to think it's just fine, without figures. The diorama represents a quiet moment in the life of an active P-47. Your thoughts on this are most welcome.

Thanks for your input on this one Sat. 

Some say a true 'Diorama' should tell a distinct 'story'. Part of this is usually by the inclusion of figures posed in a way to tell that story.

I'm glad you agree with the idea of 'chow time' for this diorama's moment in time as portrayed. I've seen ground crew huts in pics which are made from packing cases and all sorts of odd materials. I might have an attempt at something like this in the future ! 

I can always come back to this diorama with suitable figures at some point?. But It's always a good thing to feeling when you've 'finished' a build too!. That's kind of satisfying for me.

Regards, Andy

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

Most kind of you to say so! I'm sure your version will be great.  Do you have a WIP for your kit build? I'd be very interested to have a look if you do!  It is a fun kit I agree. It also has a nice solid feel once the main parts are glued together.. this I like !

i think I recall the RFI kit posted recently as well.. it was a very nicely done example if I recall correctly! 

Cheers

Andy

Hi Andy, no WIP for this one, I'm doing a first WIP for some ships, but I'm new to that and have plenty of completed builds to catch up. I'll hopefully have it finished and photographed next week, hope you get to spot it in the feed :) 

• Thanks 1

Lovely build and finish with the P-47.

Great story about taking the cat along in the cockpit; I wonder how it reacted when he started puling hi-G's and manoeuvres? I bet it was 'fun' with a panicking cat within the confines of a small cockpit...!

Gary

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MRMRL said:

Hi Andy, no WIP for this one, I'm doing a first WIP for some ships, but I'm new to that and have plenty of completed builds to catch up. I'll hopefully have it finished and photographed next week, hope you get to spot it in the feed :) 

I'll definitely look out for yours on RFI. Look forward to seeing it..! Regards, Andy 

33 minutes ago, redcap said:

Lovely build and finish with the P-47.

Great story about taking the cat along in the cockpit; I wonder how it reacted when he started puling hi-G's and manoeuvres? I bet it was 'fun' with a panicking cat within the confines of a small cockpit...!

Gary

Thank you very much Gary! 

I have tried to find the answer to this.

I don't believe that Sinbad going on missions is an urban myth. The story is repeated in several sources. Fred Christensen's own daughter confirms it in his US newspaper Obituary. It's mentioned in his personnel profile on the American Air Museum archive and on a few other reputable websites. The story first came to light during a US newspaper reporters visit to his groups base where Sinbad was trying to be photographed and ran amok over the parachutes in the parachute store.. every parachute owner he touched returned safely and with a confirmed aerial enemy kill that mission..

Jugs had a large roomy comfortable cockpit .. space enough for a cat basket? 😂 I don't know.. but whatever the truth ,it's an amusing story! Anyone know where I can get a 1:32 scale cat model from? 

😂😂👍

Andy 

BINGO, just did a google search and found some pics of Sinbad. Who later turned out to actually be a female and gave birth to several litters of kittens  in the US

http://www.purr-n-fur.org.uk/featuring/war01.html

this is the website link..

amazing! 

• Like 1

Great work on this one Andy, the model looks superb and tge weathering looks wonderful too.  The base looks fantastic and if you do get some personel for it I reckon a black and white image would look very cool and be very atmospheric.  An absolutely splendid job fella.

Liked reading the link on Sinbad too, what a shame about her demise.  

Chris

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Great work on this one Andy, the model looks superb and tge weathering looks wonderful too.  The base looks fantastic and if you do get some personel for it I reckon a black and white image would look very cool and be very atmospheric.  An absolutely splendid job fella.

Liked reading the link on Sinbad too, what a shame about her demise.  

Chris

Welcome Chris. Thanks, as always , for your kind comments. I'm quietly pleased with how it all turned out.

The pics of little Sinbad with Fred C are wonderful aren't they! It was a shame she got run over after surviving many low level attack missions. She deserves the Medal of Honour 😀. I was tickled that she was thought to be a Male cat until she miraculously produced kittens Stateside. 

Maybe 3 or 4 ground crew at some point in the future and a bomb trolley.. watch this space for some vintage B&w shots!

Thanks

Regards, Andy

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dunny said:

Lovely build and finish Andy - the weathering is most realistic!

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks for the compliments Roger. It was a most entertaining and enjoyable build for me. I'll keep adding bits to the diorama and take some more pics. 

Kind Regards, Andy

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, russ c said:

Superb Thunderbolt, love the oxidised NMF, very realistic. nice dio` too 

Thanks for your appreciation Russ. Glad you liked it. The oxidation was.. effortless actually! 😂... but seriously I'm please it turned out as it did.. it's a fine line between acceptable 'realism ' and over egging the weathering. It's an AK polished Aluminium paint with a touch of thinned down panel line black over the top then sealed with a gloss coat for flooring. It seems to have worked out well this time! 

Cheers, Andy 

1 hour ago, Maginot said:

Superb job. Nicely weathered finish; very effective diorama base and gubbins clutter. I hope poor Sinbad managed a bit of O2 at altitude.

Thank you for your kind comments Maginot. Much appreciated! Glad you liked what I did. It's my very first Diorama base attempt. It's very pleasing  that others find it effective. 

I read that Sinbad only went on low level missions so didn't need an oxygen supply thankfully.  FC must have been an exceptional pilot to have a cat loose in the cockpit during these misssions! It's hard enough for me just sitting at a PC with two cats wanting to get on my lap! 😂😂😂. Think Sinbad deserves to be decorated with the appropriate WW2 campaign medals as I'm sure she did her duty! I wonder if a campaign on social media would get this achieved lol..  

Kind Regards, Andy 

• Like 1

Zoe playing Sinbad's part in the diorama reminds me of the monstrous kitten that toppled the Post Office Tower in The Goodies' Kitten Kong.

kittenkong-B.jpg

Sinbad only went on low level missions... a cat loose in the cockpit during these missions

Thank heavens for that! But surely Sinbad would have had a USAAF cat-carry or harness or something from the PX. The thought of her getting tangled in control linkages during combat or landing doesn't bear thinking about.

Sinbad deserves to be decorated... I wonder if a campaign on social media would get this achieved

There is of course the Dickin Medal, the Victoria Cross for animals.

Only one cat has won the Dicken Medal, Simon of HMS Amethyst. Simon's is an heroic tale of gallantry under enemy fire in the best traditions of daring do and the Royal Navy. He was even played by a cat actor in Yangtse Incident: The Story of H.M.S. Amethyst (1958) starring Richard Todd, in whose image the Brits should create a clone army a.s.a.p.

Simon-HMS-Amethyst-small.jpg

So perhaps it's time for another cat to be nominated for the Dicken Medal 👍

And hint hint... A reader mentioned incorporating figures into the diorama. There are cats available in 1/32 😉

8 hours ago, Maginot said:

Zoe playing Sinbad's part in the diorama reminds me of the monstrous kitten that toppled the Post Office Tower in The Goodies' Kitten Kong.

Hahah YES I did have that in mind when I too knew the pic! I clearly remember watching this episode as a kid..

im only guessing but maybe she was secreted inside his A2 leather jacket? Or maybe a special harness As you suggested? I couldn't imagine Fred Christensen bailing out without his beloved Sinbad if it became necessary so he must have had a practical solution. 

the Dicken Medal indeed.. I think Sinbad qualify for this posthumously. Richard Todd was a real life WW2 hero in reality. he landed in a glider at Pegasus Bridge on D Day and saw some quite dangerous action.  Some of those 1950s war films are actually quite good I think. 

I also read that WCd Guy Gibson VC not only had a dog but also a cat called Windy. His cat often came on missions too . He started this during his earlier bomber pilot days flying Other types before he flew Lancasters. 

Thanks for the cat model link. I didn't find this after my posting but most of them are sadly out of stock at the moment! 

I think BM should start a campaign for Sinbad and Windy to be awarded their medals, and rightly so! 😂😂

• Like 1