Tauro-models German A7V tank in 1/35

Einar

The A7V was the German response to the tanks introduced by the British army in the Great War. Twenty pieces of these massive armoured vehicles were manufactured but they only saw action late in the war, in 1918. The name of the tank,  A7V, is a very German-like expression: "Allgemeines-Kriegs-Departement, 7. Abteilung-Verkehrswesen", something like: The general war department’s section nro 7 for transportation”.

The box-like tank weighed 32,5 tons and had a crew of 18. The armament was one 57 mm Maxim Nordenfeld cannon and six 7,92 mm Maxim MG 08/15 machine guns. The front armour was 50 mm thick and 20 mm in the sides.The tank had a 200-horsepower engine which gave the beast a maximum road speed of 15 km/h and 6,5 km/h on terrain. One of the biggest dangers to the tank crew, along with enemy fire, was that the tall and box-like tank capsized very easily. The A7V was over 3 metres high!

I built a model from the Tauro-Models 1/35 scale kit. There were no special problems with the assembly. I painted the tank’s camo and slightly weathered it using Osprey's booklet on German WWI tanks as source material.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 33

19 minutes ago, Alpha Juliet said:

Great modelling (ugly look brute, isnt it?!)

Thank you! and yes, it's definitely an ugly looking brute!

Cheers,

Einar

19 minutes ago, Lazy Modeller said:

Now that's a really ugly son of... a brick! :rofl:But nicely done! :clap:

Cheers

Lazy modeler was here

Thanks Lazy modeller!

Einar 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stef N. said:

Nice one Einar. The camo scheme is great. Looks a bit time consuming but well worth the effort.👏

Thanks Stef!

Einar 

1 minute ago, Bertie Psmith said:

That's a lovely model of an atrocious tank design. I like the weathering, exhaust stains etc.

Thanks Bertie!

Einar 

Hi Einar,

I still remember in another life, having bought one of these, when I no longer knew what to "build", but as soon as I started with the tracks... straight to the spare parts box (although I don't know what they were going to serve me for, being a unique model...lol).
The chosen method was too complicated (although revolutionary for the time), for my ability and materials at that time.
You have achieved a remarkable result, in a vehicle that is really anything but beautiful...lol.
Cheers and TC
Francis.👍

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, FrancisGL said:

Hi Einar,

I still remember in another life, having bought one of these, when I no longer knew what to "build", but as soon as I started with the tracks... straight to the spare parts box (although I don't know what they were going to serve me for, being a unique model...lol).
The chosen method was too complicated (although revolutionary for the time), for my ability and materials at that time.
You have achieved a remarkable result, in a vehicle that is really anything but beautiful...lol.
Cheers and TC
Francis.👍

Thank you Francis for your positive comments and for sharing you funny memories!

Cheers

Einar 

Just now, Hairtrigger said:

Superb result.....   Strange looking beast...   To think the same country nailed it with Tigers and Panthers..   They certainly surpassed us.

1 minute ago, Hairtrigger said:

Superb result.....   Strange looking beast...   To think the same country nailed it with Tigers and Panthers..   They certainly surpassed us.

Thank you for your comments! ..and you are totally right about the amazingly quick progress of the Germans in armour development.

Cheers,

Einar 

Very appealing model. The combination of camouflage and weathering looks fabulous. Here you can see that tanks were a derivative of turtles...

• Thanks 1

Just now, Toryu said:

Very appealing model. The combination of camouflage and weathering looks fabulous. Here you can see that tanks were a derivative of turtles...

Thanks Toryo!

Einar 

That's a good looking result. Camouflage is interesting and looks very good. Must have been fun to paint. Yes, what an ungainly monster; it's taking the concept of a mobile bunker too literally. Little wonder only 20 (?) were built.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Maginot said:

That's a good looking result. Camouflage is interesting and looks very good. Must have been fun to paint. Yes, what an ungainly monster; it's taking the concept of a mobile bunker too literally. Little wonder only 20 (?) were built.

Thanks Maginot!

The manufacture of the A7V:s started too late for the Great War. I suppose that's why the number of tanks produced is low.

Cheers

Einar 

• Like 1

Just now, Bullbasket said:

Oops!! This nearly slipped by me. Absolutely superb work. That cammo paint job is first class. Nice one.

John.

Thank you John!

Cheers

Einar

2 hours ago, fpmeyer said:

I liked. Painting difficult to do. It turned out amazing.

Thank you!

Einar