F-35C carrier landing mishap

Slater

On 1/27/2022 at 9:09 PM, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

I think the problem, from careful consideration of the wake disturbed water around the plane, is that it was going backwards. You can only do that with the F-35B model, not the F-35C, which is limited to forwards-only operation.

Given its price tag, it should be able of submerged operations, in any direction….

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If this system is so accurate it catches the same wire every time, wouldn't it be a good idea to adjust it so it catches different wires each time spreading the wear and tear? a software update perhaps?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

That's been around for a few days, TBH, could be anything. Probably a rating trying to earn a fast buck. Until I see something official, I would discount it.

The USN acknowledged its authenticity last Friday according to this article

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/44058/video-shows-the-last-moments-of-the-navys-f-35c-before-it-crashed-into-the-sea

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 1/31/2022 at 7:32 PM, exdraken said:

I'm watching Ward Carroll on YouTube right now who's discussing this with two other USN colleagues. Going by the puff of smoke or similar and impression of some debris as the aircraft crosses the round down they are of the opinion that this was a ramp strike that took the undercarriage off.

The pilot ejected which I think is known, and of the 7 deck crew who were injured, 3 of them were badly enough injured that they were medivac'd to shore. They say one of the injured parties was the LSO, and that they've heard that nobody is in critical condition any more (but some were).

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Head in the clouds. said:

I may be wrong but he looked to low,catching the deck way back.

Several of those who have done this (not me) have said that starting off too high and fast is an easy way to end up in this place. Most jet engines don't really produce much meaningful thrust for the vast majority of their RPM range. Those with fast jet / carrier landing experience say that it's the high/fast combination which can lead to pilots pulling the power way back below normal power settings. The jet will start to sink rapidly and unless the situation is recognised very quickly and enough power is applied on time not just to fly the correct glide path but to arrest a rapidly sinking aircraft, this is the result. The urgency of getting that power back is compounded by throttling up the engine from an unusually low power setting. 

I think it worth adding though that this is all armchair conjecture which doesn't help. There are still plenty other things which could have gone wrong. Perhaps the approach was perfect and the aircraft malfunctioned. I think it premature to apportion blame onto the pilot at this stage, and it's not my intention that the above is read in that way.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

And it’s been recovered. 

“The wreckage was recovered from a depth of approximately 12,400-feet by a team from CTF 75 and the NAVSEA’s Supervisor of Salvage and Diving (SUPSALV) embarked on the diving support construction vessel (DSCV) Picasso,”

Impressive. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Alan P said:

'Sea monster dredged up by fishing crew' 😉

seems they did learn and covered it up before the cameras became sneaky this time ;)