F-35C carrier landing mishap

Slater

Entry into service is a rocky road when there's such high risk involved 😔

It's also bad luck for the carrier group(s),  Abraham Lincoln suffered a fatal MH-60 crash only a few months ago, too 😔

10 hours ago, Smudge said:

Carrier flying is still a dangerous occupation.

Indeed it is.

2 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

There was early history of the problems with the hook, I believe they had to re-position it.

Fixed. More here plus links to more as well as comments: https://thanlont.blogspot.com/2013/12/f-35c-so-far-so-good.html

One interesting aspect to this. The Navy introduced a carrier-landing assist system, Magic Carpet, which might be on the F-35C and takes almost all the degree of difficulty out of carrier landings. In fact, it supposedly introduced a new problem, the accuracy and consistency of touchdown resulting in excessive wear and tear at specific points on the deck and the targeted arresting wire: https://news.usni.org/2021/02/08/navy-brings-precision-landing-mode-carrier-landing-assist-tool-to-new-fighter-pilots

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

In the absence of official detail (also telling in and of itself), my guess is an arresting cable failure. The snapback of the two halves would cause significant injuries to people on the deck (see videos of cable failures) and the airplane would go off the angle without sufficient airspeed to climb, necessitating the pilot’s ejection. The Navy would not want anybody else recovering the wreckage, hence the need to avoid stating that the airplane had gone in the water (see the Brit accident in the Med). The new consistency of landing at the mid point of the targeted wire increases the risk of repetitive damage resulting in its failure, although it is supposed to be inspected for visible damage often enough to preclude failure; it may be that the interval is not frequent enough or the damage is not as visible as expected.

• Like 4

On 25/01/2022 at 18:46, bentwaters81tfw said:

Latest reports say it subsequently fell overboard - another salvage job - right on China's doorstep.

BBC reporting here

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-60148482

Given it’s a landing mishap they presumably know exactly where it is so why not park all that hardware of their battle group on top of it until the salvage boys arrive while making it very clear any attention is unwanted

Depends on the depth of the water - it could have 'glided' a considerable distance underwater.

However, I would imagine there was a submarine with the task group, which might have been able to track it on sonar, and that it's still in the area even now to prevent interference. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Paul Bradley said:

Depends on the depth of the water - it could have 'glided' a considerable distance underwater.

The potential for gliding underwater is something I've thought about since the RAF just went under 2 months ago. 

I think the problem, from careful consideration of the wake disturbed water around the plane, is that it was going backwards. You can only do that with the F-35B model, not the F-35C, which is limited to forwards-only operation.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8