An Airfix 1/72 Westland Lynx - A forced change!

I purchased this kit from EBay as a 1/72 Westland Navy Lynx Mk8 about 18 months ago. Initially I was delighted with it - after a quick look in the box it was placed in the stash.

K1BSXnk.jpg

SWMBO said to me “why don’t you build a helicopter?”. So I got it out of the stash (despite me receiving 3 helicopter pre-owned  kits for Christmas (A Fujimi Lynx 1/72, Heller Allouette 1/72 and a 1/48 scale Airfix Boeing Apache).

When I looked at the parts, I thought “Hang on a minute - this ain’t right!”

The Mk8 nose was missing as well as the composite style rotor blades. I’d been duped - I checked the listing in my purchase history and it said the kit was complete.

I nearly put it back in the box and built the Fujimi one instead. 
I started the WIP anyway and compared what I had part-wise against the instructions. The disappointment of not doing the Mk8 clouded my vision for the model until @Ex-FAAWAFU came to the rescue and informed me that I had enough parts to build an HAS2 Lynx. Thank you @Ex-FAAWAFU for the motivation.

So I did - although I couldn’t use the original decals as they didn’t cover the HAS2 version. I purchased a set of ModelDecal decals which allowed for a Yeovil based HAS2 (it’s not that far from me although I still haven’t been there yet). The Airfix decals were donated to Chris for his HMS Endurance Lynx build.

The WIP is here

The paint choice was blue. No grey versions. 

I’m glad to say, despite the odd way the Gloss Cote dried and cracked - a la late 1990 furniture, the Lynx has turned out better than expected.

0VR6dD4.jpg
svidzRs.jpg

ux9DR40.jpg
I3jWZYg.jpg

NrhTVeA.jpg
xsHFTap.jpg

Yx1dzd6.jpg
JlKtErY.jpg

Edited by Brigbeale
  • Like 42

24 minutes ago, Blue Monday said:

I remember building the Army version of this kit in the 80's. It went together nicely then but yours looks much better than mine! Nice build.

BM.

I have a Frog kit coming soon which I intend to be an Army Lynx, so I can once again have a pair of them.

Edited by Brigbeale
  • Like 2

What a stunning Lynx, the HAS.2 and 3 are the best looking ones in my eyes,  they look lovely, great or on yours Brian , it looks fab in this colour.  The base looks good too.

Great work 

Thank you very much for the decals too. Very much appreciated. 

Chris

• Thanks 1