Airfix 1/72 Hawker Typhoon IB

Here are the sprue shots of the Airfix Typhoon with a little primer on.

51840980743_c7b30fee60_b.jpg

More to follow in the next few days as I get started on my first build of the year. Currently looking at doing the box art decals but still considering the others, watch this space.

• Like 5

It is a lovely kit for its size, I’ve built one already and this time I think I’m going to open the hatches up on the wing to show the armament off behind the cannons. It’s a nice little detail on a kit of this scale. I think I’m going with the red nose and invasion stripes with a full load of rockets…I know it carried the bombs but it looks the part with the rockets!

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Long time since I last posted so here is the progress

51889116021_45b04b24ff_b.jpg

and then it all got joined together and the wings added

51889116016_49577f9cd0_b.jpg

Once all the pegs had gone it was starting to take shape and then the canopy and some black primer was added

51888153457_d617c9d783_b.jpg

51889771620_ced74a6657_b.jpg

Then I started building a 1/48 Spitfire with the identical colour scheme (may as well spray the colours at the same time) hence the delay in progress with this. Hopefully in the next update it’ll be in full colours and some gloss ready to start decalling(this appears to be a made up word but sure you’ll all know what I mean) with its partner in crime.

Thanks for looking!

• Like 8

• 4 weeks later...

Another burst of modelling time and a couple of steps closer. The Typhoon now has a big sister in the same colours progressing in tandem for another project and they are finally out the spray booth and being glossed ready for decals!!

51969038644_8844d43576_b.jpg

51969038659_717e15d5f4_b.jpg

Hopefully the next update will be a little sooner and have the Typhoon in all its “decalled” glory.

Thanks for looking!

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Wings unlevel said:

Wow, shows how big the Typhoon is when in 1/72 scale it's barely smaller than a 1/48 Spitfire!

Both looking great.

In the next picture I’ll put the two props next to each other, the sabre engine in the Typhoon drove a massive propeller!

• Like 2

And now she is ready to launch and go find some tanks and trains!!

52001212020_68ba36b1db_b.jpg

52001212015_a201555a51_b.jpg 52000677666_750d52d620_b.jpg

I found a picture with a mixed load of bombs and rockets so opted for that layout for something different!

Ill get some better pictures for the gallery but this one is now complete!! Thanks for the comments and for watching…onto the next Group Build🤔

• Like 6

Nice work Graham and well done finding a photo of your mixed loadout - although even if you hadn't this is still your model to equip how you wish ;) 

Which GB are you heading for next?

Check out www.hawkertyphoon.com the photo is the one on the main page. I have a Chinook for the matchbox, a SHAR for the falklands and one of 3 old airliners for the big and British. I’m going to pick the quickest and keep the finishing momentum going! 😂

atb

Graham

• Like 2