Greek Air Force F-5 a ( Aegean Blue ) Scheme

billyharry2000

Thank you all for help gentlemen there's some cracking shots there I didn't know Icarus did a decal sheet I checked my model shop and they don't have it shame looks a lovely sheet, I was talking to a Freind and he said Esci did a F-5 some time ago and he said that contained Greek decals I don't remember that been 60 I guess.

Thank you again Chaps

Harry

2 hours ago, billyharry2000 said:

Thank you all for help gentlemen there's some cracking shots there I didn't know Icarus did a decal sheet I checked my model shop and they don't have it shame looks a lovely sheet, I was talking to a Freind and he said Esci did a F-5 some time ago and he said that contained Greek decals I don't remember that been 60 I guess.

Thank you again Chaps

Harry

https://www.aviationmegastore.com/hellenic-air-force-f5-freedom-fighter-icarus-productions-ic72015-aircraft-scale-modelling/product/?action=prodinfo&art=111610

Artin

21 hours ago, billyharry2000 said:

Esci did a F-5 some time ago and he said that contained Greek decals I don't remember that been 60 I guess.

https://www.scalemates.com/nl/kits/esci-9032-freedom-fighter-f-5a--122126

That's the one!, albeit in a SEA scheme. 

Still the best F-5A in Gentlemen's Scale after all these years!

Cheers,

Andre

On 1/24/2022 at 9:37 PM, David Womby said:

Thanks for that link, David - many thanks! Bookmarked...

17 minutes ago, billyharry2000 said:

Thank you chaps for that info I will give the Icarus sheet a try,that Esci F-5 decal sheet looks nice certainly don't remember that kit.

Many Thanks

Harry

The F-5s are considered to be just about Esci's best kit by many. You can't go wrong with it. Also reboxed by Revel ca. 1986, and of course by Italeri who own the mould thses days.

• Like 1

Hi There thank you for the offer of the decal sheet for the Hellenic F-5 but I believe it is 1/48 th the one I am doing is 1/72 nd.

A chap on the thread said the Esci kit contained Greek markings I didn't no that,I think I will send for the Icarus sheet.

Again many thanks

Harry

12 hours ago, billyharry2000 said:

Yes it looks very nice anything in Greek looks smart nearly finished me Greek A-7.

Harry

Absolutely, even newer machines like the F-16 :)

Martin

Yes the original Esci F-5 kit had decals for a Greek aircraft in SEA camo and I did build an aircraft in the Aegean Blue scheme from this kit many years ago.

On my model however I replaced the roundels with those from the Esci Mirage F-1 as the one in the box didn't look right (can't remember the exact reason). I used the stencils from the box and then added a home printed serial. This scheme IMHO looks very good on the F-5 so I can only agree with your choice.

As for searching the old Esci decals, these have a reputation for not suriving well after all these years. They worked fine when I built my model but most Esci decals from that era shattered at first contact with water when I tried to use them in recent years. Coating them with Microscale decal film helps but if you can get better decals go for them. Generally Greek aircraft did not carry much in terms of markings anyway and the Aegean Blue aircraft were no exception:  just roundels, fin flash, serial number in black, the small "PA" (for Polemiki Aeroporia) in greek letters on the front left fuselage and stencils

Edited by Giorgio N