FAA Seahawk Abandoned

Hmmm. Well, it's not a diorama and it's a bit cheeky to post the same topic in two RFIs...

However, I'm very glad that I've seen it. It is, firstly, a well-weathered aircraft (hurrah!) and, secondly, it appears to be a very well produced scenic base. When you add more photos (and you really need some good high-DoF macros of this) could you also add some descriptions of how you produced it? That would, I'm sure, help a lot of people.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Apologies, which topic is it suitable for? thanks!

2 minutes ago, Ade H said:

Hmmm. Well, it's not a diorama and it's a bit cheeky to post the same topic in two RFIs...

However, I'm very glad that I've seen it. It is, firstly, a well-weathered aircraft (hurrah!) and, secondly, it appears to be a very well produced scenic base. When you add more photos (and you really need some good high-DoF macros of this) could you also add some descriptions of how you produced it? That would, I'm sure, help a lot of people.

12 minutes ago, Ade H said:

I can't agree with you; it is a diorama at its simplest.  You don't need a cast of thousands and every accessory including the kitchen sink to make one.  It's a model that tells a story, in this case an aeroplane that's been used and abused; now it's waiting in a near-forgotten corner of an airfield for resurrection as a museum piece or immolatiin at the hands of a scrap merchant.

• Like 1

Aircraft RFI. It's not so much that it's in the 'wrong' section; more that it's duplicated. I'm quite sure that you had no intention at all of gaming the system for more likes, but that can end up being the practical effect. Imagine if we all did the same; it would be at least a bit boring for those us who like more than one discipline. 🙂

But again, very promising indeed at first look. 😃

• Like 1

I think its a very nice model on an interesting base. Can we have a look in the cockpit please?

Personally, I'd agree with @Ade H, that for a diorama, you really need at least two figures with something happening, some storyline. This one would make a fabulous diorama with a couple of kids exploring the aircraft, for example. A vignette can make do with one, maybe your scrap metal dealer with a tape measure?

But I hasten to add that these are merely my personal definitions. You can call your model whatever you like as far as I'm concerned. I just like figures.

(And if you were gaming the system for likes, you didn't need to! You are already an easy winner of the day with the two aircraft RFIs.)

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

No figures! Did you noticed Bertie? Its abandoned!:clap:

Not my war, but I like it very much The plane is perfect, but the fence seems very new to me...

Cheers

Lazy modeler was here!

Edited by Lazy Modeller
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Abandoned artefact; it's a great concept. Very nice work on the derelict airframe @scalemodels_tr  Paint and weathering are spot on. Really like the diorama base too, though I agree the chain-link fence could be improved for effect just a tad.

Hold your horses! A what base?

Di-o-rama, or not di-o-rama? THAT is the question? Thanks, Hamlet. Now for some cerebral muck...

'The word "diorama" originated in 1823 as a type of picture-viewing device, from the French in 1822. The word literally means "through that which is seen", from the Greek di- "through" + orama "that which is seen, a sight".

The current, popular understanding of the term "diorama" denotes a partially three-dimensional, full-size replica or scale model of a landscape typically showing historical events, nature scenes or cityscapes, for purposes of education or entertainment.

Miniature dioramas are typically much smaller, and use scale models and landscaping to create historical or fictional scenes.'

Conclusion: inclusion of figures is not a requirement for a diorama to be called a diorama.

If we cast our gaze around the real world (yes, it's out there somewhere), there are plenty of scenes with figures and plenty of scenes without figures. If we choose to model the latter, then I am satisfied that it is a diorama.

And if I may politely draw your attention to the forum header, Dioramas, Vignettes & Scenery, I'm sure you'll agree that this is an attempt to broaden the scope of inclusion of modellers works in this section.

Right! Can I have my sedative now, Sweetness?

PS: anyone else study semantics? 🤓

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

You seem to have misread. Earlier in the thread, I quoted an OED definition. Please read more carefully this part: "to contest modern usage and an OED definition"

Incidentally, why did you quote my comment when it's directly above yours?

I don't understand what's going on, and really can't muster the enthusiasm to do so.  I would however like for you all to calm yourselves and quit whatever is causing this particular storm in a teacup forthwith :)

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...