Canberra B.2 100 Sqn. 1980 - S&M Models 1/72

Hi All,

After some useful information from Retired Bob, Col has given the OK for this kit - yes even in 1980 Canberras were still capable of dropping bombs.

Screenshot+2022-01-22+at+11.55.39.png

IMG_1005.JPG

IMG_1006.JPG

IMG_1007.JPG

The S&M Models kit (careful how you Google that) is a short run kit, so won't be a straight forward build - But I've got plenty of filler and sanders.

Dave.

• Like 9
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Dave_R said:

The S&M Models kit (careful how you Google that) is a short run kit, so won't be a straight forward build - But I've got plenty of filler and sanders.

I hope you've got tons of patience as well! This is related to the MikroMir Canberra, pics and comments on that link.

Some won't be appropriate to your build, as a slightly different front fuselage arrangement  

I'll be following this with great interest.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave_R said:

The S&M Models kit (careful how you Google that) is a short run kit...

Safe Search switched to strict for that (or it is dominatrix mode :hmmm:) but hopefully this kit won't cause you too much pain Dave ;)

• Haha 4

Just tried to find one of these kits but no luck, my Google search did turn up a club in Canberra that is interested in S&M but there was no way I was clicking onto that link. :fraidnot:  Definitely not the models I'm looking for!

I will watch this build with obvious interest and if I can be of any further help please ask, as a weapons tech I did 2 detachments with 100 Sqn in 1981, the first to Cyprus in February/March where they were providing target towing facilities for a Phantom Sqn, I cannot recall which Phantom Sqn it was.  Then to Portugal in June/July as previously described.  When I wasn't on detachment with 100 Sqn I was either in 3 hanger removing or fitting ejection seats and arming the canopies of Canberra's or in 4 hanger doing the same to Victor tankers.

• Haha 3

On the flip side, I wonder how many people were disappointed that the link they clicked on took them to a site full of plastic kits?

Back on topic, that's an interesting choice Dave, I'll look forward to seeing it built.

James

• Haha 4

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

The fuselage and wings are together.

AVvXsEjKXVmzlgIh22Gpb4oUzL72xgFgI1TOYIfD

AVvXsEjVIqqgS0zH_aiAgXZxJqBMm_9VsaNXrnnM

AVvXsEj5cwvqBv9g1ee8A0Y8C01Y0FEP0w3EsUSq

AVvXsEipDrEkqxGBF3kqr4tXpiWsENsNPtZpSQ92

It mostly went together fairly well, except for the cockpit and front wheel-well there nothing help line up the parts and I had pull them apart and reposition multiple times.

Dave.

• Like 10

Gret progress. I am not familiar withe the S&M/MicrMir kit.

Does it need nose weight? If so where did you stash it as it has a clear nose and it does not look like there is much room under thre cockpit floor?

cheers

Pappy

On 2/5/2022 at 8:07 PM, Pappy said:

Gret progress. I am not familiar withe the S&M/MicrMir kit.

Does it need nose weight? If so where did you stash it as it has a clear nose and it does not look like there is much room under thre cockpit floor?

cheers

Pappy

There isn’t a Canberra model that I know of that doesn’t need nose weight.

Real Canberras also have a delicate balance and it wasn’t unknown for a support to be positioned under the rear fuselage of parked jets.  Refuelling needed care and attention to ensure that the front tanks were filled first to avoid some 1:1 scale tail sitting.

l usually try to cram some heavy ballast into the fuselage immediately behind the cockpit and into the fore ends of the engine cowlings if that wasn’t enough.  On the T. 4, T. 11/19, T. 17 and T. 22 there’s a little more volume available ahead of the cockpit unless you’ve got a solid resin nose of course.

Edited by stever219
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Hi All,

After finishing some other builds I'm back to working on this.

The underside is painted and masked.

AVvXsEiAnsNncoFerRG1mQyqRabE05vRafH-1qgJ

...and the top is painted Dark Sea Grey and masked.

AVvXsEgkQxOLo4e4Mza2gD8KLIFS_Yu_haOeaKT0

...and with Dark Green on.

AVvXsEhAQGZrcOAsFGCcVWNFjQlMf0ExAWsse43H

AVvXsEjwb7-jaugrsaF1I68MlwKvfjtJcivEct4m

The painting still needs some work, but things are progressing.

Dave. 🇺🇦

Edited by Dave_R
  • Like 12

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

A bit more progress.

AVvXsEjESz86DDmuj21tGwfnEZ1qaGylqFuHT54R

AVvXsEjH71-xHUc3TH4YR--C2Sg3DS0uAHy-Lqrm

There are the usual masses of stencils to put on still, but I'm nearly finished.

Dave. 🇺🇦

Edited by Dave_R
  • Like 10