K-Wagen 1/72 scratch build

Marklo

I’ve been threatening to build one of these for ages to fill out my WWI tank collection to the point of printing out a paper model of it years ago. While tidying up some paperwork I found the printout so I’ve decided to give it a go.

34683923-2772-45ae-a9c5-626e237a6d72.jpe

The K-Wagen was a behemoth, if the British heavy tank was a land ship than this would have been a land dreadnaught. Bigger than a Tiger II possibly even than a Maus, designers to be brought to the battlefield in modular sections, two prototypes were at an advanced stage of construction at the end or the war but were scrapped without ever leaving the factory . 

f1c1e822-fab5-434f-804e-ed4262de0061.jpe

Without a doubt it would have been a formidable battlefield presence but more mobile fortress than tank.

resized_65f30d1e-132f-4d23-a01a-ae3e362b

resized_da4f4df9-8c7b-4969-9cfc-05e0273cThe main hull. When I get a chance I’ll post some size comparison photos.

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, echen said:

Where can you buy scratch?

I find it’s more a state of mind than a brand. In the case of the K-wagen it’s the ability to break complex structures into simpler components, very Zen :) 

• Like 1

resized_bdeedafa-d587-4d99-92ba-cf5649b9

Running gear, such as it is from some scrap balsa. A bit like the A7V only the tracks will be visible oncevthecsideplates and sponsons go on.

b40282e2-9368-448d-9ca9-e6e42a0b658b.jpe

As the track segments are fairly simple I’ll go the same way as I  did on my Schneider and they’ll be a strip of ten thou plastic with overlapping embossed segments applied.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 4

50 minutes ago, Marklo said:

I find it’s more a state of mind than a brand. In the case of the K-wagen it’s the ability to break complex structures into simpler components, very Zen :) 

Very apt, didn't the K-wagen have to be shipped to the battlefield in 4 different parts and assembled there as it was too big to be transported whole. 

6 minutes ago, sardaukar said:

Very apt, didn't the K-wagen have to be shipped to the battlefield in 4 different parts and assembled there as it was too big to be transported whole. 

Yes.  it’s actually almost as big as my 1/35 T34!! We’re nearly talking landkreuzer size here..

I should get the sponsons blocked out tomorrow and then I can take a few comparison shots against some other 1/72 AFVs I did a Tiger for the Christmas Blitzenbuild so that should be a good one :) 

Edited by Marklo

resized_c6bef9b3-b573-4f0f-aa7e-7a448ebd

resized_8407cbee-5bb7-4adb-8584-d2946bab

Filled sanded and skinned in ‘riveted’ 10 thou card. The panel sizes are conjectural but I’m basing them on a 2m wide section which would have been at the limits of what could be achieved in an armoured steel plate at the time. 

I’m basing this on the A7V production where some vehicles had three side plates and some five this was because the hardening process caused excessive curvature in the plates for the later machines and rather than waste them they were cut into narrower sections that could be attached to the machines despite the curvature.

resized_43f3612d-e68e-4d47-9379-49cdc613With a Tiger I for size comparison ( actually the Handley page is also the same scale)

resized_35429761-3de7-4492-8f2a-73778c22

Scribbled down a plan for the camo this is a what if as neither K-Wagen ever left the factory, but I’m going to do a four colour scheme based loosely on latter A7V and bautepsnzer schemes. I’m going to spray the colours free hand but I may add a black demarcation line depending on how it looks.

Just need to fix all the joints then turrets and final detail before paint.

• Like 2

a2f7b46f-8fbc-41a7-941f-f9f20801d154.jpeCannon ready to go. Sprue and sheet. I’ve modelled them pretty much in the main gun on the A7V.

That just leaves machine gun apertures, exhausts, vents, track plates add bf the commanders cupola. I do notice  that there doesn’t seem to be a door on any representations so I think I’ll add one somewhere to the rear. There are two hatches on top so I may run with these and add some ladder rungs to the rear, still looks like an odd way to get in and out of such a large vehicle…

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

resized_871d9b74-d982-42f4-bd3a-db13b6e9

resized_cb9be737-1323-4087-8946-6acac426

First camo colour on, still needs a little work around the seams. A little more filling  next, then  I’ll probably drill the machine gun openings and vision slits before proceeding with the final camo.

• Like 1

resized_f6a9ab6c-8025-4e4a-8ae2-0ef67ef8Hatches, the cupola and exhausts added.

resized_6eadc8bf-6859-43a9-966d-a6a6670f

resized_a86fce3a-5d05-4eb1-a935-0bd674d0
Camo on its loosely based on schemes used in Bautepanzers and A7Vs.

2853acc5-dcbe-463b-8d1b-4ac2bc4dcc93.jpeHomebrewed decals just waiting for the varnish to dry. 

Detail painting, decals, weathering and mud left to add, could well be finished by the weekend.

• Like 1

Hmmm,

Something has changed. For a few days now I have not been able to see your pictures in your posts.  I can click on the links and "Open link in new tab" and can then see the picture but they don't appear inline in your posts.  Maybe something to do with the hiccups Britmodeller has been having the past few days.

cheers, Graham  

On 1/24/2022 at 8:10 PM, Marklo said:

beec794e-88ba-4558-9a36-4b74529e53c5.gif

Isn’t the internet wonderful!! I 

LOL that's a 3D model I made about 15 years ago for a computer game. I made another more detailed 3D model a few years ago too, with the plan to 3D print it in 1/35 scale 😋
kwag_3d01.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1