RFI: Tamiya 1/48 He162A-2 Salamander 'White 4'

Greetings Friends!  My Luftwaffe Build continues with late war Jets and Rockets...   This one is the Tamiya 1/48 He162A-2, such an excellent kit!  I chose this scheme because there were (5) great photos of this original aircraft to study and help make the model as accurate as I could.  'White 4' was an early build He162 tail number 067 and some reference these early builds to have the fuselage painted in RLM71 and not in the standard RLM81/82/76 scheme.  I studied the photos carefully and also other photos of aircraft painted in RLM82 and the White 4 appears to have a much darker color on the Fuselage.  The other areas of White 4 are actually in an even darker color, assumed to be RLM 81.  So photos seem to concur the RML81/71/76 on this particular He162, with the theory that Heinkel was using up stocks of RLM71 on hand.  I found a photo of the White 4 in Kassel before it was scrapped, that clearly show the RLM76 painted up and over the Leading Edges of Wing and Stab, so I painted it like this.

I used the Kit Pilot, Yahu Instrument Panel, and a Resin Wheel Set with flat spot tires...  Decals are a mix of the excellent Tamiya kit decals, H Model Decals for He162 and H Model He162 Stencils. Paint is Gunsie Mr Color and the clear is Tamiya X35 Semi-Gloss for Luftwaffe planes.

Things I would do different: Tamiya has an ugly seam line at the leading edge where the wing goes on and I left this unfilled as it is very tight.  I wish I would have filled this now.  I need to pop off canopy as there now appear scuffs inside it to polish out.  I missed this when it was being built.  Enjoy the photos and I highly recommend the Tamiya He162 kit!  You also get a full engine to display on a stand and the kit can build with the Engine doors open or closed to show the engine in the plane, overall an excellent kit!  Enjoy the photos!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 43

6 hours ago, Pete in a shed said:

Great looking Salamander:like:. Superb painting skills. I wish I could replicate the smooth finish you so regularly acheive. 

Pete

Hi Pete...  I have been using the same Pasche H-1 single action airbrush I got in the mid 1970s!  The secret to good airbrushing is use alot of thinner  and apply in very light coats.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, georgeadams said:

Excellent build! I have the same kit in my stash, and plan to build it in the upcoming months.

A semi related question: the base on which you took the photos is very nice. How did you make it? 

Hi george...  actually I ordered that from ebay at a place in England.  They sell display bases.  Its very nice and light and looks like a photo of the ground.

I am away from home, but when home I will try and post info about the base, like company, etc...

Edited by Tokyo Raider
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Tokyo Raider said:

Hi george...  actually I ordered that from ebay at a place in England.  They sell display bases.  Its very nice and light and looks like a photo of the ground.

I am away from home, but when home I will try and post info about the base, like company, etc...

Hi George...  i tried to take a picture of the base information but Fliker is fighting me.  So here is the info manually:

Called a 'Large Grass Display Base'

Made by:  Coastalkits in the UK.

I got mine from ebay, but it is really nice lightweight material and I really like mine.  They have several kinds.  Enjoy!

• Like 1