Revell 1:32 Spitfire Mk.IIa, my first large scale aircraft build - advice and recommendations?

bootneck

Having spent the last 12 years or so building 1:144 scale models, I have taken the plunge to try larger scale kits.  One of them is the Revell 1:32 scale Spitfire Mk.IIa.  

spacer.png

Does anyone have any advice as to how best to go about this build?  I don't have the funds for any aftermarket stuff; however, I could perhaps scratchbuild any additional parts if plans or information are available.   Having said that, it might be that the kit doesn't need any extras and that it is good as is.  I would appreciate any advice on this please.

Sixty odd years of modelling and this will be my first large scale aircraft build.......  scary!

Mike

• Like 5

1 hour ago, bootneck said:

Having said that, it might be that the kit doesn't need any extras and that it is good as is.

Sorry, but that isn't the case.  If you want a good "practice subject" for unfamiliar territory, then probably not a bad choice.  If you want a really nice Spitfire (to me accurate is part of "nice") then you've got some work ahead of you.  I'll leave others to handle the actual "how to build this kit" advice, but I don't know that there's anything too radical unless you choose to GET radical.

bob

Hello,bootneck - I built my first 1/32 scale kit just over two years ago.That was a Phantom.

I started in the hobby with 1/72 scale and moved up to 1/48 scale for some subjects because my eyesight now prefers that.😁

From 1/144 to 1/32 scale is a quantum leap.That said, you’ve got an excellent kit there and if I’m in any position to pass on some advice I’d say don’t get overly concerned about adding masses of extra detail apart from what you’re confident with, if you so wish of course.

With this project,I’d just focus on working with the bigger parts in front of you.

To be honest,I questioned my own confidence to tackle 1/32 scale but found that concern very quickly disappeared and really loved it.So much so I immediately went from the Phantom to the Strike Eagle in that scale.

I wish you good luck with this new venture and look forward to seeing your progress.

Most of all,I hope you ENJOY it.👏😉👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bootneck said:

scary!

It's the same level of detail as a 1/35 tank, so in theory, it shouldn't be a problem. However, I completely understand your anxiety as I've been 'pondering' changing up to larger scale aircraft for years! Good luck with expanding your comfort zone.

p.s. Even scarier for me would be 1/350 scale ships!

It's a really nice kit, if you want to really get stuck in below is Edgar's tweak list, I did most of the list but not all.

Here's my build,

Here is the list from with my plan of action.

1/. it needs a "Mk.I" oil cooler.     Barracuda detail set

2/. it needs the crowbar deleting, unless your model dates after January 1942 (the fit was retrospective.) Barracuda cockpit door

3/. 2-bar rudder pedals are o.k., but need the fabric straps over the top. Tamiya tape or similar

4/. gun button was brass, with a silver surround, not red (post-war elfin safety?)Paint

5/. Very pistol cartridge rack was normally left off, and Castle Bromwich had (red) plastic seats, not (green) metal. Leave it off

6/. seat armour is missing. Barracuda seat and armour

7/, seat backrest has an odd depression moulded in, which I've never seen. As for 6

8/. I have no idea what part 40 is (see later), and 41 (oxygen bottle) should be black, not green. Paint 41 black

9/. part 42 (compressed-air bottles) was silver, not green. Paint silver

9/. rudder and elevators' "stitching" is overdone. Sanding down a tad

10/. I have no idea what the two "lozenges" (on the top of each wing) are. Remove

11/. unless your Mk.II dates from 1940, the rudder "prong" shouldn't be there, neither should the aerial. Cut off

12/. post 1940, IFF aerials were fitted, and the position of the discs is marked. Fit wires

13/. if you drop the flaps, the door, in the top of the wing, needs to be cut out, and opened. I will not drop the flaps, no need for action

14/. 50B is/are/were "station keeping lights," which might have been coloured like the navigation lights, but that remains a mystery, for now. Paint over them, update, a photo of my subject shows it has them.

15/. while over-prominent, the "rivets" are nowhere near as bad as the photos appeared to show. Good

16/. the fuselage is about 2mm shorter than the Hasegawa Vb (all at the spinner end,) but it doesn't "shout," and it appears to have better curvature than the (somewhat slab-sided) Hasegawa fuselage. Leave well alone

17/, wingspan and chord (minus wingtips) are identical to the Hasegawa Vb. Good

18/. Revell have matched Tamiya, in the wheel wells, by providing back-sloping walls - very well done - but the "orifices" are too oval. Leave alone

19/. there are three oblong "protuberances" on the spinner, but Revell do tell you to file them off. No problem

20/. Revell have confused Sky with Sky Blue (oh, yes, they have.) No problem

21/. instrument panel is fixed, but is missing the landing lights control. Using Yahu IP

22/. The air scoop on top of the kit’s upper cowl wasn’t for the Heywood compressor which wasn’t introduced until March 1942 on the Mk V, but the Spitfire already had a compressor, which was fitted once the Mk.I went from the “pump-handle” u/c retraction system to the hydraulic type. From what I can tell the early compressor had a small almost invisible scoop while the Heywood needed a larger type which was more prominent. Modify the air scoop and bulges

23/. You'll need the early (circular) HF radio controller in place of the push­button VHF  type (37/38); Barracuda cockpit detail set

25/. Kit part number 25 This should be replaced by a circular item rather like the headrest.

This refers I believe to the voltage regulator fitted to the fuselage frame behind the pilots headrest which on the kit and later Spitfires is a double barrel shape.

26/. 40 should be fitted to the instrument panel above the pilot's left leg, not on the 

starboard wall; See 8 above 

27/.Ailerons should be fabric­covered, though that isn't as noticeable as some make out  (just fine lines where the stitches go); Barracuda wing detail set

28/.there should be two fuel **** levers to the right of the compass (which, incidentally, is black inside and greenish­grey on the outside); Use the Barracuda cockpit detail set, not sure what to do about the levers, probably nothing.

29/.the throttle quadrant has one lever too many (the one pointing forward);  Use the Barracuda cockpit detail set

30/.(probably the most difficult) replace the single fuel gauge (bottom RH corner of the  instrument panel) with two smaller items; Use the Yahu Instrument panel

31/.aerials were stainless steel, not black or copper.  No problem

32/.There's one other item I've since noticed, and that's the oxygen hose, which should not be moulded on the starboard cockpit wall. On the Mk. I & II, the hose was "attached" to the pilot, and plugged into a socket on the starboard wall. Sand, cut or cover.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Dennis,  I shall keep that list as a sort of aide-memoir; however, as this is my first build of type, I shall build much of it straight from the box.  I intend to make all my mistakes with this one and, if I finish with a decent model, I would hope to get another or better model for a future build.  Let's see how I get on with this first.

cheers,
Mike

No problem Mike, a lot of the items on the list will not be noticeable to most people and the kit is nicely detailed and a very nice build, so just enjoy it.

Cheers

Dennis

• Thanks 1

Sounds like you’ll be building pretty much OOB, so it is worth looking at the list of tweaks posted by Dennis above and work out what you want to do from that list - you can get around some issues without the need for AM by using our own skills, or simply ignore the issue. For example, the cockpit armour plate behind the seat and pilots head can be represented by super glue soaked paper cut to shape, and the dimple in the seat filled and re-scribed.

I would also recommend Googling up some of the builds that have been posted - there is at least one here on Brit Modeller - and these will give you an idea of what is ahead. 

It sounds like a reasonably ‘friendly’ kit - ie. goes together well - so perhaps a good one to start with in large scale. Enjoy! And maybe post an In Progress for us? :) 

Edited by Peter Roberts

It’s a very enjoyable kit to build Mike, nothing scary about it at all and OOB is just fine. Sure, if you’re into detailing and correction there’s plenty of scope, but just “get stuck in!” For what it’s worth this is my attempt over on LSP

Max 

• Like 1

Hello Max,

That is a lovely looking model you have built there and I shall spend some time looking through your build on LSP.  I have to admit that I know absolutely nothing about the Spitfire; therefore, I am going to just put this together, perhaps noting some items from Dennis' list and your WiP but nothing elaborate.

cheers,
Mike

• Like 2