1941 Chevrolet Canopy Express Off Road

Hello model builders - just wrapped up the Canopy Express.  This truck was made by Chevrolet for several years in the mid 30's to mid 40's.  It was used by neighborhood green grocers and various other local vendors.  The grill of the truck will look familiar to many of you , as the cab is the same used by the LRDG, and as avail in the Tamiya 1/35 kit.  This version  is not available in a kit, so I went ahead and spliced a 1/25 scale 1941 donor cab on a 1939 Ford Panel Delivery, and then, went to making it four wheel drive with posable front and rear four link suspension, and steering.  There are lots of other mods too.  The build log is shown in this link:

And now, calling it done:

51839606609_5cf1cdbf27_h.jpg

It was sunny and clear today, so out for some pictures we went.  As a whole, I'm pleased with this build - you can see, I gave the body some appropriate weather to represent an old, but not abandoned truck - what's too bad is there is a really nice Chevrolet LS3 engine in there, you just can't see too much of it.  I also built a base, with some topography, to show the suspension working:

51839982515_80415e9db1_b.jpg

51839363123_dc1b4f6cff_h.jpg

51839363118_62e7a10c26_h.jpg

51839606569_2d83d937ec_h.jpg

And there you have it - I really enjoyed building this - it pushed my skillset and provided numerous challenges.   Sort of funny how well the paint worked.  It's all Vallejo Model Air - wish I could get these results on race cars! lol - no clearcoat here - just a nice finish.  It's too bad, out of all of these pics, only one, (directly above in upper left) shows the suspension flex under the front drivers side - as it does flex in all four corners.  The "donor" backdrops include Utah, California, and about an hour north of Riyadh - quite a road trip!  😀

Ok, thanks for having a look - 

Cheers

Nick 

• Like 17

That's a super nice build Nick! I really enjoyed following it and I'm impressed by your suspension work. The backdrops work really well too!

• Like 1

@JeroenS HI Jeroen, thanks very much!  It was a fun build, and the suspension -  I might try that again one of these days!

@keefr22, thanks!  

@Marco F., thanks!

@CliffB, thanks!

Sorry to group these responses, I appreciate the comments on the build and the photos.  I've come to really enjoy looking for ways to show off the end product.  There is certainly something to be said for showroom like pictures, they can really bring a build to life.  That said, I'm a big fan of outdoor pictures in general, as they seem to bring the colors to life, and I've recently been experimenting with outdoor photos, used digitally over a backdrop.  I'm an alarmingly low-tech guy, so making these come together has been fun, and I hope to get better at it!

Cliff, yes, this is sort of an unusual subject.  It turns out there one of these trucks sitting in someone's side yard in my neighborhood.  Thanks to covid (and not having many options for any sort of activity) I've been walking around my neighborhood quite a bit - every day, so after walking past this truck several times decided to first try and replicate the body, then do something fun with it!   

Thanks for having a look, and leaving some comments

Cheers

Nick 

• Like 3

Fantastic build and paint! Even more fantastic photography. Hard to believe that’s a scale model! Your pics brought back fond memories of an incredible one-day guided excursion that my wife and I treated ourselves to while driving thru Eastern Utah in March 2020 before our world changed. The 11 hour trip thru the southern portion of Canyonlands NP  included a 4x4 ride over Elephant Hill, SOB Hill and the Silver Stairs (look ‘em up) - the ultimate adrenaline rush!!!!! Your very cool truck would look right at home on that trail!

NICE JOB NICK!!!!!

spacer.png

Edited by nearsightedjohn
Added photo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Nick,

Beautiful  workmanship.  And your model looks AMAZING. 

:clap2:  :clap:

Your photographs  are SUPERB and choosing a rugged background  to showcase the model is perfect.

Looking at the background  of various locations is well chosen.

:thumbsup:

It makes your vehicle look all the more REAL as if one is looking at it from  distance!

BRAVO.

:mike:   :mike:

Hello model builders, 

@CrazyCrank - glad you like it - quite a fun project, both the models, and the photos.  I'm currently waiting for a couple of real job projects to start up, which has allowed me more time to fool around with the hobby 😀

@nearsightedjohn - lucky you!  I understand the four wheeling in Utah is great - several years ago a friend of mine took her essentially stock (modest lift/some bigger tires) Jeep Cherokee into Moab!  She was/is pretty tough!  made it back in one piece - I'd love to visit one day 😀

@Kitkent hi Chris, thanks very much!  I know, clearly not F1 - lol

@HOUSTON thanks very much for your positive words!  I really appreciate them.  As mentioned above, I currently have some time on my hands so have been able to push the builds and presentation a bit.  It was fun building a base then searching for the "perfect" images for meshing together.  Not quite as much fun as actually driving around in the rocks, but better than sitting home watching TV!  

Cheers

Nick 

• Like 1

Absolutely superb Nick! It sure does look the part. Had to do a double take with the truck in the bushes! That kind of presentation really puts your model into perspective, Very nicely done!

BTW, Moab is well worth the visit, you won't be disappointed.  (My son got married there last year.)