DH Vampire T11 WZ590 228 OCU RAF Leeming 1953

My model depicts a De Havilland Vampire WZ590 which was built at Hawarden and delivered to No. 228 Operational Conversion Unit at RAF Leeming in Dec 53 as shown in the photograph below.

In 1954, WZ590 spent 9 months at Marshalls of Cambridge for improvements and upgrade work before returning to RAF Leeming. In Nov 59, WZ590 moved south to RAF Oakington and joined No. 5 Flying Training School. In Mar 62, it moved north again and joined No. 8 Flying Training School which was then based at RAF Swinderby.

In 1963 it was withdrawn from service as the Jet Provost began to take over the training role of the Vampire. WZ590 was one of 77 Vampire T.11’s that were sold back to Hawker Siddeley Aviation between 1963 and 1969, for refurbishment for onward sale to other overseas air forces.

WZ590 eventually returned to HSA in 1968 but didn’t find a buyer and remained in storage at Hawarden until 1971 when it was moved to Woodford. WZ590 was gifted to the newly formed IWM outstation at Duxford and arrived in May 1973 without its engine and a lot of its parts and equipment.

20220121_135449

20220121_135502

LightningBoy

• Like 24

Hello Lightningboy2000,

Thanks for the feedback on the Vampire.

I didn't know there was another Lightningboy on this forum.

Have you seen the 1: 48 Lightnings I have done and posted elsewhere on Britmodeller?

LightningBoy

Great buy Mohawk.

When you build it the really fiddly bit is the remnants of serial number on the undercarriage doors.

To be honest, if you fit them correctly you still can't tell what parts of the number they belong to.

LightningBoy