Hard Corps Harrier

Col.

There's a distinct lack of Harrier in this GB so far. There's also a distinct shortage of Harrier in my display cabinet. Let's try to rectify both these issues.

2022-01-20_08-11-38

This is Hasegawa's old but good 72nd scale kit first released in 2000 although this boxing comes from 2003 and gives two decal options for the machine in either the box-art scheme of VMA-231 'Ace of Spades' in the green/grey wraparound or the one I'm aiming for which is VMA-331 'Bumble Bees' which matched the green and grey disruptive camouflage with light grey under-surfaces as the initial service entry scheme.

As you can see there'll be a measure of aftermarket goodies involved as well and I've made a soft start to this project by digging out some reference books but will show those later :) 

• Like 15

1 hour ago, desert falcon said:

Not even sure I thought about that when I posted it :D 

Have you had time to start yet @Col. or did you like me spend most of your weekend doing irrelevant non-modelling stuff? 

Sadly not molested any plastic yet due to a similar weekend but have looked out a couple of good reference books so not entirely wasted.

2022-01-24_08-30-35

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, helios16v said:

Anyone else hear Motorhead when Col said "Ace of Spades"?  :guitar:

I could tell a story about that song but maybe another time :blush: :shutup: :whistle:

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, helios16v said:

Anyone else hear Motorhead when Col said "Ace of Spades"?  :guitar:

Glad it wasn't just me (and it makes me want to start the Airfix Motorhead Heinkel I have in the stash)

Looking forward to what you do with this Col, I rather like the Harrier myself too

James

2 hours ago, 81-er said:

Glad it wasn't just me (and it makes me want to start the Airfix Motorhead Heinkel I have in the stash)

Looking forward to what you do with this Col, I rather like the Harrier myself too

James

Thanks for the encouragement James. It'll be a wee while before I can start this one but the enthusiasm is high.

Your Motorhead Heinkel would be eligible for this GB as well of course :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Col. said:

Thanks for the encouragement James. It'll be a wee while before I can start this one but the enthusiasm is high.

Your Motorhead Heinkel would be eligible for this GB as well of course :)

In that case, I feel it may well be rude not to

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Finally made a start to this one last night. The bench is full of another project but found a corner to play with some wee bits of plastic in between working on it. Now here I'll make something of a confession - the arrival of four more Harrier kits on Friday inspired me to get going with this as upon opening one of the arrivals I discovered several parts had been taken off and were loose in the box with a bit of damage to the attachment points where they hadn't been separated cleanly. Thus the wing parts you see below are from that boxing rather than the 'Ace of Spades' one but no I won't be doing an Enzo as time is not my own for the most part lately so one at a time sadly.

Anyway, on with the show, the inner faces of the three wing parts had required a bit of cleaning up to mate together. Some of the mold release pins have left excess plastic close to the trailing edge that had to be scraped away and that's not something I expected from a Hasegawa kit :( In reality it was only ten minutes work but we've got to moan about something right? :lol:

The mounting holes for the extra pylon applicable to RAF variants in front of the outrigger wheel wells was also plugged with some heat-stretched parts tree plastic after thinning down the edge of the wells and their doors to a more scale-appropriate appearance.

2022-01-30_07-48-12

After gluing the three parts together last night they had the edge seams cleaned up this morning and while I was at it the overly thick wing fence removed at each side to be replaced with thinner material later.

2022-01-30_11-46-14

So, in summary, finger has been pulled out and a set of wings built up.

If all goes well I'll get a little more done this evening as I can see the theme of excessive wall thickness on the parts continues for the fuselage sides around the cockpit area.

• Like 13

On 1/25/2022 at 7:50 AM, Col. said:

I could tell a story about that song but maybe another time :blush: :shutup: :whistle:

in you wild days huh Col???  :D

I started one of these hasegawa models many years ago... and of course never quite finished it. Seem to remember it was a nice model all up. I probably should add one to the stash...or build a proper one (my last attempt was way before I started to take model making seriously..... as if I do now! :rofl2:).

Good luck with her.

• Haha 1

On 1/30/2022 at 11:24 PM, trickyrich said:

I started one of these hasegawa models many years ago... and of course never quite finished it. Seem to remember it was a nice model all up. I probably should add one to the stash...or build a proper one (my last attempt was way before I started to take model making seriously..... as if I do now! :rofl2:).

Life's too short to be super cereal.  Buy more Phantoms and Tomcats.  :thumbsup:

• Haha 3

A couple of hacking and scraping sessions got the Brengun cockpit fitted. Oh and a couple of sessions fighting the carpet monster to find a tiny lost quarter console part which, on inspection, I'd have been quicker scratch-building :rolleyes:

2022-02-02_10-08-44

Next task up is to cut out a section of the rear fuselage for the Quickboost airbrake bay and door.

With the lack of Harrier in our GB now being addressed by myself and @Hockeyboy76 (although there's always room for more ;) ) the next issue is a lack of food posts so here you go

20220130_200613

a wee pre-session snack of ice cream with dark chocolate pieces topped with blueberries and banana :eat:

• Like 7

Very nice start on your Harrier Col, the replacement cockpit looks very detailed.

1 hour ago, Col. said:

A wee tribute to a departed friend ;) 

I hadn't realised we had lost Nigel, a top modeller who would always share help and advice and a really nice bloke that I had the pleasure of talking to at the IPMS UK Nationals a couple of times. Very sad news indeed.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

I'll be interested to see how much of this is visible at the end.

As am I :lol: With a few more of these in the stash this one will lead what detail goes into the others.

8 hours ago, modelling minion said:

I hadn't realised we had lost Nigel, a top modeller who would always share help and advice and a really nice bloke that I had the pleasure of talking to at the IPMS UK Nationals a couple of times. Very sad news indeed.

6 hours ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

I didn’t know we had lost Nigel either. A great model builder. 

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news in this manner chaps :( 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Col. said:

As am I :lol: With a few more of these in the stash this one will lead what detail goes into the others.

It's certainly not the biggest cockpit in the world, even with the blown canopy. It reminds me of the hours I've wasted painting Spitfire instrument panels. 🤪

• Haha 1