"The bloody hunchback". Savoia-Marchetti SM.79 Sparviero (Italeri 1/72)

So, after I couldn't decide what to build for this build I put out a little poll to see what folks would like me to have a crack at, which resulted in a draw between two options, the first of which is this, a 1/72 scale Savoia-Marchetti SM.79 Sparviero, which is Italian for "sparrowhawk", although this bird arguably lacks the lethally aerodynamic lines of its namesake and was affectionately know by its crews as il gobbo maledetto, loosely "the bloody hunchback". It was originally developed in the 1930s a a passenger transport and first saw  military service int he Spanish Civil War, before being used effectively as a torpedo bomber during the Second World War.

The kit is from Italeri, naturalmente, first issued in 2003, this being the 2010 boxing.

spacer.png

There's an Airfix version dating from the 1960s that was reissued as recently as 2020, but it looks a bit crude by comparison. Italeri''s kit looks nicely moulded, bit of flash but nothing serious, recessed panel lines. 

spacer.png

There are many weird and colourful schemes to choose from for this type, but I'm going with this relatively plain out the box offering in two-tone grey, mainly because it's easy (I'm a brush painter, those squiggly Italian camo jobs are terrifying!) 

spacer.png

I'm probably going to get the Eduard "Big Ed" etch/mask set for this, it'll take a few days to arrive but I want to polish off my little Blenheim (whaddaya know, another bomber) befor ei get involved in this. 

The other winner, a Hasegawa B-26 Marauder, will be along in a bit. Thanks for looking in! 

Edited by TonyOD
  • Like 15

Even though I voted for the B-26 I'm glad to see you leading with this one as I grew fond of it during the poll :speak_cool: Going with the grey scheme will help to accentuate the unusual lines of this machine ;) 

• Thanks 1

• TonyOD changed the title to "The bloody hunchback". Savoia-Marchetti SM.79 Sparviero (Italeri 1/72)
1 minute ago, Col. said:

Even though I voted for the B-26 I'm glad to see you leading with this one as I grew fond of it during the poll

Thanks. I'm not sure if I'll be doing the two simultaneously or back to back but I'll get the B-26 thread going presently.

• Like 1

I was team Marauder too, but I will follow this build for sure. Sparviero is my favorite Italian bomber. This kit is fantastic, only downside is a bit soft plastic, but very nice and detailed.

• Thanks 1

Hi Tony,

I built the Airfix one shortly after it came out and I agree it is a bit crude. When I decided to build a replacement a couple of years ago both the Airfix and Italeri kits were unavailable so I put in pre-orders and waited. I would have preferred the Italeri one as I believe it is more accurate, particularly around the "hump" but the Airfix kit came in first. Of course as soon as I started building it the Italeri one became available so I will watch this with interest. I have a set of decs from an Italian company Sky Decals for the SM-79, which I used a small part of - if the rest might be of any use please let me know - there are over 20 schemes on the sheet.

Pete

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Tony

I actually was one of those voting for the SM 79.   Great you are doing it👍.

I am looking forward to seeing this one,  It's a nice kit, but I agree with @PeterB,  There are many options for markings and camo for this - not all of which require "spinach and egg" (or is it fried egg? 😗) camo.  Going for the more simple - but of course authentic -  two colour finish is great too.

I will be most interested in how you tackle the interior colours - for example, are the cockpit colours (Tamiya XF-21 as I recall) replicated for the wheel wells etc?

Philip

Sorry about the lack of progress on this, sometimes life throws you a curveball and you fail to catch it, got some real life stuff going on that I have to deal with and the little planes are going to be on the back burner for a while I feel. hope everyone is enjoying their builds.

• Like 4

Totally appreciate that one Tony, real life has to come first. The plastic will still be here for you when the other stuff is taken care of

James

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well for reasons I won't be boring anyone with this has been a month where every kind of mojo has gone up in flames I'm afraid, but I feel I'm at a place where I might be able to start tinkering with the little planes again. I'm wondering whether to get started on the Sparviero or just be a happy spectator to this GB and pick up the imminent Big and British.

• Like 2

Go with what feels good to you Tony. While there's always a welcome for you here we'll understand if you need a change of subject to inspire you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1