The Stug Family: From O to G.

Stef N.

• 2 weeks later...

Righty, nearly back to the bench. 4 weeks with no modelling is not fun so hopefully I can get the paint out and carry on with this project. I will share my time between this and the Armoured Car GB and hopefully start filling the shelves up a bit.

Anyway, here's a tip for moving your models. A small, light bookcase, some blu-tack and sealed inwith some industrial cling film. It worked with only the loss of a couple of wing mirrors and a light.

p?i=1f22a59b65b8c2c2a0b2742228556a2c

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 25/09/2022 at 22:03, Stef N. said:

A small update. The B is pretty much made up. A little brass work for details and some Karaya cables. The wheels I've pinched off the Pz3 L as they were already made up. And an Aber antenna adds a nice touch. Painting next and also trying to figure out what amount of stowage to add.

p?i=04a4be5aad3e76e58fd018ed5a7a64c7

p?i=7f13ee18bf91e2dca008eb642e20d215

Rightyo, time to get this fellow painted up and then I can start on the C. It's been too long.

• Like 1

I'm planing to design & 3D print a Stug "Ausf.H" in the future, the new design only got as far as a mock-up before Panzer/Stug III production was canceled. If you get to the Ausf.G & still want more I could send you one too. But we will have to see who gets there first tho as it might be a few years before I get around to making it 😅

Any plans to make some of the other Stug III variants like the StuH 42 or Stug III Flammpanzer?

1388610496_stug-iii-pak-42.png

Edited by Mig Eater
  • Thanks 1

That's very interesting @Mig Eater, thanks. As you say, it's going to take a few years for me to get there but I will be up for another variant to add to the collection. Keep me updated on any progress. 👍

I have a Stuh 42 ready in the stash, which turns out is a prototype E bodied one from Dragon. I haven't seen the Flammpanzer one yet, so that could be another goer. 

Cheers. I better do some building. 😆

• Like 1

Taken a few months but I've finally got the base coat done. I've been using Mr Color lately and have found them a dream to work with (other than the smell.) The base colours have a slight satin finish to them and spray clean and crisp, with no needle dry. I have used Mr Color 513 Dunkelgrau as a base on this as it will get a "whitewash". The whitewash will be basic Tamiya XF2 over a light layer of chipping fluid. This will be my first proper attempt at this technique so it will be a steepish learning curve. Should be fun,hopefully.😀

p?i=dcede034cdd230dfd45ecbe0d9a031fe

p?i=8a590840ec79615b686f02a83f6e6320

A small note on the Karaya cables. I don't know if I got a bad batch but on this they started breaking up as I maneuvered them into position. Luckily the broken bits aren't too noticeable but be wary.

• Like 8

Have you done any post shading before you Dunkelgrau on the model or are you using the Dunkelgrau as the semi post shading layer?

You have got a very good finish on the model which should help with the rest of the detailing process.

Pete

• Like 1

The latter Peter. It is just a pure grey base layer and hopefully I can spray the white in ways that leave areas of shade and also highlights. If it doesn't go the way I want I can go back with a dark grey and touch up areas.

• Like 1

In my experience tow cables are pretty heavy and I don’t think they would fall off from where they are placed. You could add a bit of cotton to simulate rope as a tie down if you really felt the need I guess.

The grey looks great btw.

George

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Geo1966 said:

In my experience tow cables are pretty heavy and I don’t think they would fall off from where they are placed. You could add a bit of cotton to simulate rope as a tie down if you really felt the need I guess.

The grey looks great btw.

George

Thanks George. The tarp on the back looks like it needs weighing down but the cables are staying like that. Casually and quickly chucked on by the crew kind of thing. 👍

2 hours ago, Patrykd said:

I'm a bit confused. If the towing cables are heavy, so why in all vehicles fixation is necessery. 

I suppose it all depends on the distance they are travelling and time the crew has to reattach said cables and tools. A vehicle on manoeuvres will have everything secured as they may be travelling 100s of miles and stuff will eventually fall off. A vehicle during combat travels shorter distances and is under fire, so hasn't the time. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Stef,

It looks very good now, I would like to see how the technique you are going to try turns out, I hope everything goes well. I have also used cables from that brand, I think it has to be what you say, a batch in poor condition... If you decide to "clamp" the cable, it's easy to do, if not, in the position it is in, it's not easy for it to fall off, so it seems plausible as it is...

Cheers and TC

Francis.👍

• Thanks 1