The Stug Family: From O to G.

Stef N.

Cheers Darryl for your kind words. The greasy dirty effect was more of a happy accident rather than planned. I simply messed about with enamel mud and wet effects and got lucky. 👍

spacer.pngspacer.png

These are good and convenient but you could easily make up from Humbrol enamels which would be cheaper. The satin is much more gloss than satin but it works for me. Apply as much as you like and using thinners spread and blend. The splatter effect,using an old tough brush, is easy with this stuff as it is thin enough already.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 27/07/2022 at 22:30, Stef N. said:

I think I found what I am going to with the B variant. Stumbled across this photo earlier and thought a dirty whitewash would be good to attempt. I'm not sure what Brigade it was so if anyone knows anymore detail....👍

spacer.png

As I am going to do a whitewashed B I am going to do a quick build to learn some new techniques. I picked up a Tamiya Pz III L from Alanmac on this site so that will be the paint mule. It looks a nice kit so I will do as best as I can but with no extras. I will even use the rubber band tracks. I have various white paints, chipping fluids and washes including a new company for me, Modellers World.

p?i=3f6b079d72ed9379fc590c46c35f2d1a

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Stef N. said:

As I am going to do a whitewashed B I am going to do a quick build to learn some new techniques. I picked up a Tamiya Pz III L from Alanmac on this site so that will be the paint mule. It looks a nice kit so I will do as best as I can but with no extras. I will even use the rubber band tracks. I have various white paints, chipping fluids and washes including a new company for me, Modellers World.

p?i=3f6b079d72ed9379fc590c46c35f2d1a

That's a nice kit. Looking foreward to the build.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Maddoxx77 said:

That's a nice kit. Looking foreward to the build.

👍

Typical Tamiya. It's nearly 30 years old and it still looks in very good condition and well detailed. It should go together quickly too.

• Like 1

Hi Stef, I have a KV-1 in my stash which i want to do in winter whitewash, so will be interesting to see how you go about it.

14 hours ago, Stef N. said:

a new company for me, Modellers World.

I have also just stumbled on MW, they do some Oil washes which sound like they could be good.

George

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Geo1966 said:

Hi Stef, I have a KV-1 in my stash which i want to do in winter whitewash, so will be interesting to see how you go about it.

I have also just stumbled on MW, they do some Oil washes which sound like they could be good.

George

Cheers George. There's a few interesting techniques out there so I will give a few a try at least. I did find some Transparent White oil paint in the stash which will get some use. Can't remember buying it though. 

• Like 1

Like your plan Stef!

I do like a winter whitewash scheme. 

When you say modellers world is that a manufacturer as opposed to the model shop in Halifax?

Can't say I've come across a manufacturer by that name but always interested to learn and try.

Atb

Darryl 

35 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Like your plan Stef!

I do like a winter whitewash scheme. 

When you say modellers world is that a manufacturer as opposed to the model shop in Halifax?

Can't say I've come across a manufacturer by that name but always interested to learn and try.

Atb

Darryl 

A company from Poland. I was ordering some paints from SMS and stumbled across them so thought I'd try out one of their products.

https://www.scalemodelshop.co.uk/brands/modellers-world/

• Thanks 1

The quickest build I have done. No bells, no whistles and straight out of the box. As it's a paint mule I haven't added any grills or other stuff, although I was tempted and found it hard not to.😀

I've given it a good coat of Tamiya German Grey. Just plain colour with no modulation or shading. And now set aside for the paint to fully dry.

A question for those that have used chipping fluids. Will I need to give it a good sealing with satin/gloss varnish or can I risk using it over the matt coat?

p?i=9d4cedbc75e085c900cc6133a59e44ed

As to the kit, it is a good fun build with enough detail to keep most modellers happy. It needs some PE, like the grills as mentioned, and is probably a perfect kit for those wanting to try out some etched extras.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Stef N. said:

A question for those that have used chipping fluids. Will I need to give it a good sealing with satin/gloss varnish or can I risk using it over the matt coat.

I never use varish when chipping. I just do a coat of primer, then primary color, chipping medium ( i use hairspray ) and then the second color layer. In my opinion you don't need varnish becouse water activates the chipping fluid and nothing else. 

Edited by Maddoxx77
  • Thanks 1

Exactly what @Maddoxx77 said, I too have only used hairspray, medium hold cheapy from Home Bargains btw, but I'd guess it would work the same. I did have some proper chipping fluid but foolishly stored it in its original multipack packaging but on its back....:doh:

Listening to various podcasts, as one does, such a rock and roll life style. Tamiya is claimed to work well as the colour to be chipped off but I've used Tamiya, AK, Mig etc, apparently different thinners can affect the chipping process too.

Now crack on, let's see how this experiment works! :frantic:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My Tiger from Jumblies arrived only for them to inform me the pre-ordered RFM Stug G late has also just come in. That arrived this morning. They both look like very pukka kits. Where do I start. Do I carry on in sequence. Can I jack my job in and make models instead. Dilemmas, dilemmas??😬🥴😀

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Stef N. said:

My Tiger from Jumblies arrived only for them to inform me the pre-ordered RFM Stug G late has also just come in. That arrived this morning. They both look like very pukka kits. Where do I start. Do I carry on in sequence. Can I jack my job in and make models instead. Dilemmas, dilemmas??😬🥴😀

Dilemma in deed!

I fancy the new RFM stug, apparently it's the best late Stug available, according to Evan (Panzermeister 36) at least.

Which Tigger did you get?

Big 👍to Jumblies too, haven't bought anything from them for a while but they are always super helpful, prompt and well priced!

(Is it shameful to admit I've just hit the 4000 point mark at Jadlam...:whistle:).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jasper dog said:

(Is it shameful to admit I've just hit the 4000 point mark at Jadlam...:whistle:).

I lost my points because I hadn't bought from them for ages - cheaper on e-bay etc...😂

I spent an evening trialling some products and techniques. One impressive, a couple liked and one failure.

First up was AK Worn Effects acrylic fluid. This I liked as it gave subtle effects of wear and tear, the sort of effect I am looking for. Sprays on easy and rubs away easy. Just be careful as it can pool if a bit heavy handed, like I was, and too much of the top layer can come off. It worked 24 hours later so you don't have to rush too.

p?i=6de65b0162c47be0ef46f0ef36b2cad7

p?i=ab47b9068345fc222e51b41aa05c5a0e

Second was the AK Heavy Chipping Effect. This I didn't like as it took too much off for what I am after. It's too easy to remove the top coat for me but may have uses on a different model.

p?i=62ae22ae6ca6ecca1af90d3b47187e98

Third was Echen's suggestion about moistening the paint before spraying the camouflage. This worked reasonably well but is something I would like to investigate more and get some more info on the technique. (It doesn't show up on the photo.)

Fourth I used Modellers World Oil Wash. This also worked well giving nice streaking effects and a decent wash effect on the wheel, giving you plenty of time to work on it, leaving a matt effect and has a good smell. Not a necessary product and you could make your own if you have oil paints in your stash but a good product nonetheless.

p?i=f5124243210bccd705c6a23104274348

As to my next part of this project, B,  this is the kit and extras I'll be using. The tracks I picked up cheaply from Historex. The company seems to have stopped producing them, I'm not sure why but I may find out shortly.😀 The Show Modelling etched was also cheap from them and I won't be using much of it.

p?i=749f04a3b332d7068043d8d821923d5e

Anyway, cheers all for following along and the great tips and advice.👍

• Like 5

Interesting..... as you I like the Worn effects more so than the Heavy, has potential. Which paint and thinner combo did you use to chip off?

A method I used, and planned so carefully for, going for the hairspray technique was to paint panzer grey with a top coat of white wash, (would have been either mig or AK), however, being me, what did I forget to do.....?

Yep the hairspray! :facepalm:

However I found a good scrub with a stiff brush before the paint had cured produced quite pleasing results. Remember the RFM Panzer III?

Ooooh Stug with Winterketten,  yes please!

Good luck!

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Stef N. said:

Definitely. Easier to control and gives a much more realistic effect. I will be using that especially on the running boards and around the hatches.👍

Looks to me i have to pick this up myself. It looks more realistic and much more controlable then hairspray. Thanks for the show&tell 👍😁

• Like 1