The Stug Family: From O to G.

Stef N.

5 minutes ago, Ned said:

There is a book about tracks used by all German vehicles which I am almost ashamed to say that I couldn't resist. I bought it because I couldn't make sense of the many tracks used during the Panzer III's long life.

Every German tracked vehicle is covered, from Kettenkrad to Maus.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Panzerketten-Gleisketten-deutschen-Kettenfahrzeuge-Weltkrieges/dp/3943883000

Nice one, that looks very handy. I was trying to buy some T-Rex tracks and the amount of choices was a tad overwhelming.👍

28 minutes ago, Ned said:

The more I look at track links, the more I want to own one. But I know that one will not be enough and I will have found yet another thing to spend money on. I must resist!

Maybe you buy the Russian variant - seems to be probably cheaper 😁

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

31 minutes ago, Ned said:

The more I look at track links, the more I want to own one. But I know that one will not be enough and I will have found yet another thing to spend money on. I must resist!

spacer.png

• Like 1

7 hours ago, THEscaleSHOW said:

spacer.png

I just risked a quick look on eBay. The prices are so high now that I am not tempted, it is safe for me to look. There is one Winterkette link for £250 :)

7 hours ago, Stef N. said:

Nice one, that looks very handy. I was trying to buy some T-Rex tracks and the amount of choices was a tad overwhelming.👍

That sounds familiar! You get more choice than I had, I was wanting to put some exotic tracks on one of my Panzer III stash, but all of the fancy ones like Winterkette/Ostkette came too late, but with your Stugs you have much more choice.

This is what got me drawn in to the murky world of Panzer tracks:

• Thanks 2

Great video @Ned. 👍👍

He shares his passion without being dull and gives very interesting snippets of information, like the welding of tracks to the hull and the wearing down on one side. Also interesting was the shine of the scratched metal.

I have got some of the DS tracks he shows and I think, like him, I won't like using them. The Kaizen ones looked good though but I haven't ever seen them being sold over here.

22 hours ago, Stef N. said:

Don't Fruil do both Ost and Winterketten?

I bought Fruils for the Jagdpanzer as they, believe it or not, turned out to be the cheapest option. (I also like the extra weight and sag provided by metal tracks).

Nice collection of Stug kits too btw, I quite fancy the RFM late G....

I'm in a self imposed rehab at present, only buy occasionally, and keep away from Ebay....that said I might have bought a B36 Peacemaker recently and a 1/24 Tamiya Mustang.:doh: (Perhaps I fooled myself thinking as they ain't armour they dont count..)

And I might have 4000 Jadlam points to use before mid Oct....

Still, it's cheaper than beer and women, and I'd probably get into slightly less trouble fetching a different kit home every week.

(Not sure the Mrs bought that excuse..).

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, Ned said:

Why resist...

I find a Panther link makes a great foot rest whilst at the bench and it's better than cash in the bank. And the fun in watching the poor postman delivering it, how the crew lifted 3 connected together to hang from the turret side is interesting to consider. 

(I'd guess one at a time and pin together once mounted).

Darryl 

36 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Don't Fruil do both Ost and Winterketten?

I bought Fruils for the Jagdpanzer as they, believe it or not, turned out to be the cheapest option. (I also like the extra weight and sag provided by metal tracks).

Nice collection of Stug kits too btw, I quite fancy the RFM late G....

I'm in a self imposed rehab at present, only buy occasionally, and keep away from Ebay....that said I might have bought a B36 Peacemaker recently and a 1/24 Tamiya Mustang.:doh: (Perhaps I fooled myself thinking as they ain't armour they dont count..)

And I might have 4000 Jadlam points to use before mid Oct....

Still, it's cheaper than beer and women, and I'd probably get into slightly less trouble fetching a different kit home every week.

(Not sure the Mrs bought that excuse..).

I was looking for tracks for the A and I thought I'd sample some of these new resin ones. I had to have an educated guess on which ones were needed.

Now that Friuls have stopped supplying companies in the UK I sadly never look at their stuff. A shame as it was quality gear. If I needed a few sets at once I would give them a go though.

If push came to shove I would pick metal tracks over resin. As you say, the sag is more realistic and they feel a bit more sturdier.

• Like 2

On 20/09/2022 at 08:21, Jasper dog said:

Whilst looking for something else came across this buried in the "stash" didn't know if you'd seen it but after a quick thumb through looks quite good.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/919767737X/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_EMW08NWHX18SRANTDVD0

(If the link doesn't work it's: On Display, Sturmgeschutz III by Canfora)

It turned up and is a good little book. Great models and tips from some of the best in the business. Cheers.👍

• Like 1

A small update. The B is pretty much made up. A little brass work for details and some Karaya cables. The wheels I've pinched off the Pz3 L as they were already made up. And an Aber antenna adds a nice touch. Painting next and also trying to figure out what amount of stowage to add.

p?i=04a4be5aad3e76e58fd018ed5a7a64c7

p?i=7f13ee18bf91e2dca008eb642e20d215

• Like 9

9 hours ago, Stef N. said:

A small update. The B is pretty much made up. A little brass work for details and some Karaya cables. The wheels I've pinched off the Pz3 L as they were already made up. And an Aber antenna adds a nice touch. Painting next and also trying to figure out what amount of stowage to add.

p?i=04a4be5aad3e76e58fd018ed5a7a64c7

p?i=7f13ee18bf91e2dca008eb642e20d215

This is looking great @Stef N. All the little details make it so much more interesting to look at. 

• Thanks 1

On 24/09/2022 at 09:15, Stef N. said:

I was looking for tracks for the A and I thought I'd sample some of these new resin ones. I had to have an educated guess on which ones were needed.

Now that Friuls have stopped supplying companies in the UK I sadly never look at their stuff. A shame as it was quality gear. If I needed a few sets at once I would give them a go though.

If push came to shove I would pick metal tracks over resin. As you say, the sag is more realistic and they feel a bit more sturdier.

I should try some of these resin and 3d printed offerings at some point, they just appear a bit pricey. I did stock up on Fruil when it was announced they'd stopped selling into the trade. There is a seller on Ebay that keeps coming up with them though, I just bought another set for the Jagdpanzer from them.

Aren't some Chinese firms doing metal indi link tracks?

Your Stug is looking great, super neat, clean build with some really tidy use of aftermarket stuff!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

I should try some of these resin and 3d printed offerings at some point, they just appear a bit pricey. I did stock up on Fruil when it was announced they'd stopped selling into the trade. There is a seller on Ebay that keeps coming up with them though, I just bought another set for the Jagdpanzer from them.

Aren't some Chinese firms doing metal indi link tracks?

Your Stug is looking great, super neat, clean build with some really tidy use of aftermarket stuff!

I forgot to look on ebay for them.I just had a look and guy called PanzerKing is doing them and his prices are good so I will keep that bookmarked.👍

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, edjbartos said:

That looks great Stef, that looks like a really nice neat and tidy build, looking forward to the painting stage..

Ed

Cheers Ed. I was hoping to get it done this week but the house move is finally on its way so I will have to pack everything up for a short while. What fun.😬👍

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Stef N. said:

Cheers Ed. I was hoping to get it done this week but the house move is finally on its way so I will have to pack everything up for a short while. What fun.😬👍

Good luck! 👍💪

• Thanks 1

Nice job you've done with this kit. Little PE details add much to the plastic.

A few things, if I may suggest - The driver's left side vison port had a quite prominent weld seam around it.

And they had a different sight on Ausf.B's that didn't stick out of the roof - hence the large viewing sector on the frontal armor. 

I built the same kit a few years ago but my approach was somewhat different.

Kristjan

Edited by vaoinas
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, vaoinas said:

Nice job you've done with this kit. Little PE details add much to the plastic.

A few things, if I may suggest - The driver's left side vison port had a quite prominent weld seam around it.

And they had a different sight on Ausf.B's that didn't stick out of the roof - hence the large viewing sector on the frontal armor. 

I built the same kit a few years ago but my approach was somewhat different.

Kristjan

Thanks for that Kristjan. All tips are very welcome and easily remedied at this stage.👍

I just reacquainted myself with yours and see exactly what you mean. Scissor periscope is fine but that one is wrong.  I followed Tamiya's instructions too well. (Your approach was vastly different😀).

Before it's packed away for a few weeks I had a play around with nitrile glove stowage/tarp. It works rather well although the material is rather "slippery". Careful application of superglue works brilliantly in helping make the shape you want. Make sure that the glue is placed on areas that will be hidden because it shows (as a hardened area) and looks bad on visible parts. The cheaper, thinner gloves work best. The better quality ones are a touch too thick to fold and crease realistically. I also rolled the roll around a piece of copper wire just so I can bend the ends. I wanted something to cover the top of the smoke grenade box as it looked too obviously empty.

(I also got rid of the sight as Kristjan mentioned. I didn't have a scissor sight in the spares so I shut the hatch.)

p?i=e0b6435065d51943a2777edc35734379

Anyway, in housing limbo so I will be without paint until the end of October. But I'll need a complex build to keep me busy. I have two ancient Dragon kits that I have been slowly adding extras to over. Which shall I do, Brummbar or Nashorn?

p?i=3b1f9a4f1de9646e11999d4683f96730p?i=9ce2a6efb511fc5fc4164f9c1454a07d

• Like 8

First of all, the tarp on the StuG looks great. Also tnx for the tips on how to best apply it.

My personal choice kit wise would be the Nashorn. That's one kit that is definently on my wishlist. 

Good luck with moving!

• Thanks 1