The Stug Family: From O to G.

Stef N.

On 17/09/2022 at 21:13, echen said:

I keep buying new ones, getting enthusiastic to build 'em and then I see another really interesting one - and so it goes on. :S

I don't think you've the only one, that's what probably keeps these kit manufacturers going!

Wonder what percentage of kits bought actually get built and finished??

Stug looks good with the winterketten, don't forget winterketten are for snow, when it snows it can freeze rock hard, no mud. Ostketten are for mud....

How does that work you @Stef N.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

I don't think you've the only one, that's what probably keeps these kit manufacturers going!

Until now i keep a small stash and try to finish a kit before i start the next one. ( while typing this i'm ignoring the 1:32 scale unfinished spitfire staring me dead in the eyes..... ) 

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Stug looks good with the winterketten, don't forget winterketten are for snow, when it snows it can freeze rock hard, no mud. Ostketten are for mud....

I have learned something new today. That'll work rather well I think. I was veering towards @echen 's suggestion of a hardened road type weathering and this confirms it's a good way to go.👍

• Like 2

Whilst looking for something else came across this buried in the "stash" didn't know if you'd seen it but after a quick thumb through looks quite good.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/919767737X/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_EMW08NWHX18SRANTDVD0

(If the link doesn't work it's: On Display, Sturmgeschutz III by Canfora)

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Whilst looking for something else came across this buried in the "stash" didn't know if you'd seen it but after a quick thumb through looks quite good.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/919767737X/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_EMW08NWHX18SRANTDVD0

(If the link doesn't work it's: On Display, Sturmgeschutz III by Canfora)

A winterised "B" by Mike Rinaldi! That looks like a buyer.👍

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Stef N. said:

A winterised "B" by Mike Rinaldi! That looks like a buyer.👍

Mike Rinwho? that name rings a bell....:hmmm:

Must actually get around to looking at it now I've found it!

• Haha 1

On 19/09/2022 at 16:40, Jasper dog said:

...and Winterketten have separate end pieces, Ostketten are made from one piece 🤓

• Thanks 2

21 hours ago, THEscaleSHOW said:

...and Winterketten have separate end pieces, Ostketten are made from one piece 🤓

I hadn't realised the winterketten was two pieces, learn something everyday! :happy:

• Like 1

After getting the F and C/D dirt cheap from Hattons I have nearly completed my collection of Stugs. Just need the D (maybe) and F8 and I should be good. Just need to start building the blooming things.😀

After the discussion on Winterketten it shows that even a company like Dragon didn't know the difference. Ostkette on the box. Winterkette in the box. And a C with a Saukopf mantlet?

p?i=5eae82433f753e234f25364b80f528a1

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Stef N. said:

After getting the F and C/D dirt cheap from Hattons I have nearly completed my collection of Stugs. Just need the D (maybe) and F8 and I should be good. Just need to start building the blooming things.😀

After the discussion on Winterketten it shows that even a company like Dragon didn't know the difference. Ostkette on the box. Winterkette in the box. And a C with a Saukopf mantlet?

If you need help.... just send a kit or 2 😉😉🤣

• Haha 2

On 22/09/2022 at 09:17, Stef N. said:

Thanks guys. I thought they were the same thing, different name. After a bit better research I found this drawing lurking in the back of the Achtung Panzer book.

p?i=880b1de3397371a66f3181e8af8f17bc

On 22/09/2022 at 09:21, Ned said:

No, Winterkette were a single piece just like Ostkette. They were a modified type 6a.

Yes folks, you're right of course!
I had probably the so-called Hammerstollen in mind-sorry for that 😏

Think first-then write 😁

spacer.png

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stef N. said:

Yes, many think it is one and the same track. I also only found out when I built the MK 35 Winterkette for my SIG 33B.
Even at TMN (presentation of the new MiniArt StuG III) they don`t seem to distinguish it?

I can not see any Ostkette 🙄

spacer.png

• Like 2

There is a book about tracks used by all German vehicles which I am almost ashamed to say that I couldn't resist. I bought it because I couldn't make sense of the many tracks used during the Panzer III's long life.

Every German tracked vehicle is covered, from Kettenkrad to Maus.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Panzerketten-Gleisketten-deutschen-Kettenfahrzeuge-Weltkrieges/dp/3943883000

• Thanks 2