The Stug Family: From O to G.

Stef N.

9 hours ago, Stef N. said:

I honestly would love to do one but I know it would take me forever to finish. Maybe when I retire.😀

It's a challenge for shure but i also enjoy it very much.... and it has become a great excuse to upgrade and buy new tools 😉

"Sorry dear, i just need that new pair of tweezers" 😁😁😁😁

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Stef N. said:

Talking of tweezers can anyone recommend a good quality set? Mine are a bit old now and not as helpful as they should be. 

The top end Tamiya ones are very good, the ones with the brown wooden inserts, they're expensive, but very good quality.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Stef, it's good to see someone else doing the 'one man group build' thing. I haven't looked in on you until now because of being so busy with my own stuff and not being that interested in Axis models, sorry. I'm glad I had a romp through it tonight though. You are zooming along! I like the first one in grey. A very fashionable colour these days!

I've hit the follow button now so I'll keep up in future.

• Thanks 1

Cheers Bertie, although you did scare the beejesus out of me with the notifications. I thought I'd written something inappropriate and was getting an electronic kicking.🤣

I did take inspiration from your Valentine and F Matthews Panzer III builds as a great idea and a good way to learn more about a certain vehicle.👍

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

The top end Tamiya ones are very good, the ones with the brown wooden inserts, they're expensive, but very good quality.

Thanking you. I'm happy with spending a decent bit of money on some. Buying cheap has just lead to more frustration on my behalf.👍

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stef N. said:

Talking of tweezers can anyone recommend a good quality set? Mine are a bit old now and not as helpful as they should be. 

I ordered these. Looks fine to me but as soon as i used them i'll let you know how the quality is.

Screenshot_20220527-201053_Chrome

• Thanks 1

My local hobby shop only had Expo tweezers so I bought some of them for now. They look alright but were cheap so don't know how long they will last. Will wait for a quality set when I'm next at Hannants or one of the bigger shops.

Got this final strut done. It was hard to find out exactly where it is supposed to go but I think it is about right. The fender etc. should all be done today and hopefully a bit of paint may get sloshed about soon.

p?i=aacc778e5146e0e67d9ce8a248c30e39

I've been wanting to try out some T-Rex tracks so I thought this would be an ideal kit to try them on. The price was a bit scary and pushing the final cost of the kit to stupid levels but they do look very nice so hopefully they should add a bit to the final finish.

p?i=c59dec369ae70e3017d3d5481c8d07e8

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

They certainly do! Are they 3D prints?

Yes mate and no blocks, flash or seam lines to clear up.👍 Tiny pins though so I will see how tough they are but they look like they should go together rather quickly.

• Like 2

Hi Stef. Very impressive modelling going on here in your one-man Group Build!! Beautiful modelling. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Stef. Very impressive modelling going on here in your one-man Group Build!! Beautiful modelling. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix for your kind comments. I'm enjoying it so far, learning new modelling skills, techniques and a lot of research. I will also know a lot about German Grey by the sixth, E, variant.😀👍

On 29/05/2022 at 11:50, Stef N. said:

The price was a bit scary

More expensive than Friuls? 

They remind me of the old Model Kasten tracks, but that's probably just because of the colour...

;)

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

More expensive than Friuls? 

They remind me of the old Model Kasten tracks, but that's probably just because of the colour...

;)

Roughly the same with postage. The guys at AFV Modeller don't put the VAT on the initial price so they look very reasonable until checkout. 

• Sad 1

On 29/05/2022 at 12:50, Stef N. said:

My local hobby shop only had Expo tweezers so I bought some of them for now. They look alright but were cheap so don't know how long they will last. Will wait for a quality set when I'm next at Hannants or one of the bigger shops.

Got this final strut done. It was hard to find out exactly where it is supposed to go but I think it is about right. The fender etc. should all be done today and hopefully a bit of paint may get sloshed about soon.

p?i=aacc778e5146e0e67d9ce8a248c30e39

I've been wanting to try out some T-Rex tracks so I thought this would be an ideal kit to try them on. The price was a bit scary and pushing the final cost of the kit to stupid levels but they do look very nice so hopefully they should add a bit to the final finish.

p?i=c59dec369ae70e3017d3d5481c8d07e8

Looks good mate! Are those resin tracks? 

All cleaned up already? Nice!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Maddoxx77 said:

Looks good mate! Are those resin tracks? 

All cleaned up already? Nice!

Resin. Haven't got the weight of Friuls etc but they are clean as a whistle and look like they should go together rather quickly. Got a long weekend so will put them together and give an appraisal.👍

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Stef N. said:

Resin. Haven't got the weight of Friuls etc but they are clean as a whistle and look like they should go together rather quickly. Got a long weekend so will put them together and give an appraisal.👍

Nice! Let me know how it went. Very curious.

• Like 1

My appraisal of T-Rex resin tracks. Very nice and easy in the end. Did a run of 90 for one side and it only took a couple of hours.

Pros: Fantastic detail. Very easy to assemble. No need for any glue. No need for a jig as you can hold it in your hands and feed in the pins. No need for any cleaning. Tiny amount of drilling needed for tight pin holes, maybe 4 or 5 times for a run.

Cons: Pins can snap easily so don't force them in. Some pins can be a bit too long. Lack of weight or heft. That's about it.

p?i=6c08be341e2bd36b5c5bd38084960773

p?i=60219f4179f3532ed13894800ac528c0

• Like 9