The Stug Family: From O to G.

Stef N.

13 minutes ago, Stef N. said:

Thanks Ned and welcome along. You've got me worried about the Bronco tracks now.😀

I've just checked and the pins are tiny. I can see the carpet monster getting a feed.

They were just too fragile to be able to handle with my sausage fingers and took far too long to clean up and assemble. One side just fell apart in my hands and after a particularly bad day at work I just scrunched the lot up and chucked it in the bin :) I robbed the tracks from a MiniArt Ausf B and used those for one side, they were built in a fraction of the time and stayed together.

Good luck!

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Ned said:

They were just too fragile to be able to handle with my sausage fingers and took far too long to clean up and assemble. One side just fell apart in my hands and after a particularly bad day at work I just scrunched the lot up and chucked it in the bin :) I robbed the tracks from a MiniArt Ausf B and used those for one side, they were built in a fraction of the time and stayed together.

Good luck!

Good to know about the Miniart tracks.  I just finished their Ausf. B but used metal indy link tracks because the Miniart set looked daunting (lots of parts, pins and cleanup).  I have the Bronco Panzer III Ausf. A coming up next in my Panzer III odyssey, so if the Miniart tracks are decent, I’ve got an extra set now.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

STUG III Ausf A.

Right, time to start this project again. This is an old Dragon kit from 97 and looks simple enough. It will need some tarting up to bring it to today's standards but should be ok. Not multi-sprued like their newer kits so should be a quickish build.😉

With the obligatory sprue shots.

p?i=19b010c3d1afdbabbc83e5d8e2f701ea

p?i=e65d383e5e0383afda7097e64597f3d8

The infamous Dragon instructions. I'm not sure if they've always had a bad reputation but I'm sure to find out.

p?i=b18a197bd055daff5afa1dee77560cf0

Anyway got some other goodies to come from Hannants so I can get cracking on the wheels and maybe tracks?!

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Stef N. said:

STUG III Ausf A.

Right, time to start this project again. This is an old Dragon kit from 97 and looks simple enough. It will need some tarting up to bring it to today's standards but should be ok. Not multi-sprued like their newer kits so should be a quickish build.😉

With the obligatory sprue shots.

p?i=19b010c3d1afdbabbc83e5d8e2f701ea

p?i=e65d383e5e0383afda7097e64597f3d8

The infamous Dragon instructions. I'm not sure if they've always had a bad reputation but I'm sure to find out.

p?i=b18a197bd055daff5afa1dee77560cf0

Anyway got some other goodies to come from Hannants so I can get cracking on the wheels and maybe tracks?!

These are so hard to find these days. I'll tag along if you don't mind. I got a StuG III ausf G on the workbench as my next project. 

• Thanks 1

I'll follow along with your G too. It'll be a while before I get there but there are loads of good brands making them at the moment that I will study what is good.

As to the A, I was warned that it was a dated in parts and some of the wheels are fuzzy in detail to say the least. Not too bad as to have to get AM sets but I am tempted.😀

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Stef N. said:

I'll follow along with your G too. It'll be a while before I get there but there are loads of good brands making them at the moment that I will study what is good.

As to the A, I was warned that it was a dated in parts and some of the wheels are fuzzy in detail to say the least. Not too bad as to have to get AM sets but I am tempted.😀

I would love to build an A Version since that was the type Michael Wittmann used. Before he became a tank ace. 

However, the are pretty hard to come by these days. All the brands are doing the Tiger 007 thing..... 

• Like 1

I think it was off ebay and it wasn't ridiculously priced. I'll check tomorrow and see if I can find the details.👍

Yes, ebay from Spain from a fellow called ferbess. There are few on there but not cheap.

• Thanks 1

I've had loads of house viewings these last couple of weeks so haven't had much chance of getting much done modelling wise. Unfortunately that has meant me having more time out of the house or on t'internet.😳💰

A nice parcel arrived from Hannants and SnM Stuff. The Tamiya kit looks rather nice although the rubber band tracks will probably get an upgrade.

p?i=90c6caffef70703d4358c95283de3ba2

I also picked this up on sale from The Model Box.

p?i=d23c73c77193c5056109a4ae4e888023

2 questions. DS tracks? Definitely upgrade?? And is Ausf E/F correct?

• Like 8

A quote from WW2 Wiki:

Technically, the StuH 42 had no variants besides the Ausf. G and Ausf. F models which were simply based upon different Panzer III chassis'. Although, later models of the StuH 42 oftentimes had the muzzle brake on top of the barrel removed so that the vehicle would be more cost-effective to produce.[2]

No mentions of an E/F version. Altough it could be a prototype version. In 1941 Germany ordered 11 StuG III Ausf. F/F8 versions to be converted with a 10,5mm main gun. They only build 1 until march 1942 and that was an E version. The E version was the first version that used a 7.62mm machinegun so maybe the E/F version means 7.62mm coax and 10.5mm main gun based on the StuGIÏI F.

It's a wild guess......

• Thanks 1

It sounds a very plausible guess mate. Technical assistance on the kit was from Cockle and Edmundsson so it should be a legit version. A good afternoon of wading through books and the internet awaits.👍😀

• Like 1

I actually did some work. The base is a of generic Stug III so I had to move the return roller axle back a bit and clear away the locating lines for the hatches. Quite a simple job. The running gear is mostly ok being made by Dragon, but a few fuzzy, old GS bits are in as well. Mostly will be hidden but the return rollers are not great. They are usable but if anyone knows of a manufacturer of better quality ones give me a shout.

p?i=6bc08c3dbaeebc5812e364dd3a92e662

p?i=be1230fc71c644b3e44413f8ae195fa1

So far so good. For an old kit the fit has been pretty good with little to no filling and not much cleaning up of parts. Got a small bit of PE to add but I can quickly get on with the main body.

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

This'll teach me for buying a very old kit. A few bits too tweak and add so it's a bit slow progress. The top hatch is for a later version so it has to come out. It came out easy enough with a little gap left which will be easy enough to fill. The other hatches fitted poorly and needed fettling to get them to sit better. Not perfect but should be ok with a bit of engraving and paint. The barrel was a generic fit so a large chunk of plastic had to be removed and the hole enlarged quite a bit. It fits snugly now but have to consult many drawings to see how long it should be. I added a weld line around a part of the barrel and shield using stretched sprue and plenty of glue. Thanks to whoever gave that tip.👍

p?i=e07a8b626071f1ad20da266b109dfb77

p?i=d354ca581ef76962ec2e707548f215c6

p?i=74131a42d5e4d1e2a209f99d6159f9ff

p?i=82d0ba6cf7ef30329cdfd33580cafcf8

The photo highlights a lot more gaps that I need to sort. A bit too raggedy at the moment.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Stef N. said:

Sometimes, looking for answers to certain questions, you stumble on something that does everything you need. 👍

That's a great vid on the outside detail of this AFV. I'm still doing research on the inside of the StuGIII i'm building. There is a lot of debate on certain parts colors. The problem with these restored vehicles is that it's not certain the colors are accurate and historic photo's are mostly in black&white.... 

Since i'm building a G type from early 1943 i'm leaning to a white interior ( also floor ) and a white breach for the main gun, altough i see a lot of photo's where the breach is painted green ( wich makes an interesting look ) 

Any advice or reference to help me?

6 hours ago, Maddoxx77 said:

That's a great vid on the outside detail of this AFV. I'm still doing research on the inside of the StuGIII i'm building. There is a lot of debate on certain parts colors. The problem with these restored vehicles is that it's not certain the colors are accurate and historic photo's are mostly in black&white.... 

Since i'm building a G type from early 1943 i'm leaning to a white interior ( also floor ) and a white breach for the main gun, altough i see a lot of photo's where the breach is painted green ( wich makes an interesting look ) 

Any advice or reference to help me?

I have some photos in the old Achtung Panzer book of Gs in different states of restoration. It's difficult to figure how far they have got but the colouring looks more authentic, with aged rust and primer red showing through the scratches. As you say a couple have a green breach, red floor, but white is also used. When I get a chance in the next couple of days I will scan a few photos and let you decide.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Stef N. said:

I have some photos in the old Achtung Panzer book of Gs in different states of restoration. It's difficult to figure how far they have got but the colouring looks more authentic, with aged rust and primer red showing through the scratches. As you say a couple have a green breach, red floor, but white is also used. When I get a chance in the next couple of days I will scan a few photos and let you decide.

Tnx man!

On 16/05/2022 at 21:59, Stef N. said:

This'll teach me for buying a very old kit.

A golden oldie, maybe? ;) and that's a very nice video you posted, some good close up views of the welds and stuff, some of which are nightmare rough in places.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

A golden oldie, maybe? ;) and that's a very nice video you posted, some good close up views of the welds and stuff, some of which are nightmare rough in places.

Aber's instructions are very vague so I needed some details under the fenders and other parts that are usually hidden by the tools. A nearly perfect walk around. 

• Like 2

Another quick update. I decided to replace the front mudguards as they need to be bent a bit. Thanks to buying the appropriate tool I am starting to enjoy using etch although, as I previously mentioned, Aber's instructions are making me having to go back and forth through videos and the library. Arrows pointing in the general direction are not the most helpful.

p?i=1bd9c79b638b6e80d27004c47a71e5e5

These strut holders have to be level with the top of the tub except the two, thin unbent pieces at the top. They are there to grab the plastic struts so should be just above it. The one at the front needs bending dogleg style. Aber have cut it to be achievable but don't really explain this.

p?i=a8c05d29388fe8ff03dca8482afbc702

Here are most of the parts for the mudguards. I thought I'd give etched hinges a try and was pleasantly surprised at how they went. Although the supergluing process was a pain and took me a few attempts to get it right. The two circles cut out of the back mudguards are right for an A. Should I tell the Australian museum they have theirs wrong? The plastic struts need the chunky part chopped in half, just where it goes into the v-shape, a little bit of thinning on the remainder and the should fit comfortably into the brass strut holders.

Anyway, slow progress and I will enjoy an OOTB kit after this.👍😀

• Like 8

17 hours ago, Stef N. said:

I thought I'd give etched hinges a try and was pleasantly surprised at how they went.

They look very good yes, considering that they are teeny tiny little things, worth the effort I think, are you planning on doing one of the front mudguards flipped up? or just some light damage on them? I think Stugs and Panzer 3's look good with the front mudguards either missing/damaged or flipped up.

;)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Cerberus said:

They look very good yes, considering that they are teeny tiny little things, worth the effort I think, are you planning on doing one of the front mudguards flipped up? or just some light damage on them? I think Stugs and Panzer 3's look good with the front mudguards either missing/damaged or flipped up.

;)

This one will be based on an LAH one in Ukraine with a few dings and dents. Although after looking around I found this one, which does look rather neat. I'll have to find out what variant it is or base the B on this.

spacer.png

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Stef N. said:

Although after looking around I found this one, which does look rather neat.

It does yes, that's a good picture, it would make a nice model I think, the way the guy is sat up top with his feet on the gun mantlet, but yes it shows how a small change like flipping the mudguards back can make quite a big change to how something looks, it just opens up the view of the tracks going over the large front drive sprockets.

• Like 1

On 25/05/2022 at 22:53, Stef N. said:

Anyway, slow progress and I will enjoy an OOTB kit after this

Try a RFM full interior kit 🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 2