The Stug Family: From O to G.

Stef N.

After picking up the Miniart O Series Stug, and being influenced by Bertie's Valentine thread, I thought I'd start a long running thread making up the different variants of the legendary vehicle. Most are available to modelmakers, although A is hard to get, so it is an achievable aim, but will take a few years to complete as I will dip in and out.

Any tips on books, kits, after market etc. very welcome indeed.

Here's what I have so far. Picked up the Bronco kit this morning and finally got the Stug book from The Works on the cheap. It seems to be a very popular one. And the Achtung Panzer is one of the only books I kept from my stash 20 years ago. (Moving house once too often lead me to get rid of a load of old, heavy, books.)

p?i=0faee1550dc732c2bf510d0cc7d0437c

• Like 18

There is a tendency to over engineer their kits but they build into great models and as a company they are more than happy to try out the unusual. I'm looking forward to the Bronco as I haven't done one of theirs before.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pig of the Week said:

Good concept 👍 

I did the classic tamiya stug when I was about 12 or 13 ( in the early 70s ! )

State of the art kit then I assume. I made their Stug IV and,although a bit clunky, was a fun one to build. And for the price you can't complain.

8 minutes ago, Stef N. said:

State of the art kit then I assume. I made their Stug IV and,although a bit clunky, was a fun one to build. And for the price you can't complain.

It was probably an ausf G , i expect it's likely still available in the same tooling too ! That said I reckon the old tamiya kits still hold their own if suitably finished ;)

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Lazy Modeller said:

I'm currently finishing a Stug iii B and a F in kuta. Both are very good... from Dragon.

Cheers

LM

Just had a look and a very nice job indeed. A shame they've stalled for now but you've done a lot. The kits look very good so I will give the Dragon A a go.👍

• Like 1

Just had a look and a very nice job indeed. A shame they've stalled for now but you've done a lot. The kits look very good so I will give the Dragon A a go.👍

Yeap they're very nice, altough a bit stuck with the compressor, because that from the garage is out of question. Used on the tiger and it seems I was in the middle of an earthquake!

Cheers

LM

Yeap they're very nice, although a bit stuck with the compressor, because that from the garage is out of question. Used on the tiger and it seems I was in the middle of an earthquake!

Cheers

LM

• Like 1

Stug.III O Series by Miniart.

While I wait for a top coat to finish on the Sturmtiger I thought I'd open up the box and see how far I'd get tonight. Firstly here's the obligatory sprue shot. It's Miniart so there are plenty of sprues. Nice looking, detailed and clean.

p?i=cdf0dd3ddba9b18c2f4bc08b4ce11513

p?i=35bca4e95acc27bc92ff85b46fe93921

• Like 13

Hi Stef. Great idea for a project! I will be following with interest. I've go a couple of Stugs in the stash so I will be taking notes! :popcorn:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

So I spent a few hours on the base. As LM said this is flat-pack rather than a tub, but it fits really well. You just need to be dextrous enough to hold it together while gluing though. Typical Miniart with minute parts, which the carpet monster nearly got, but they also all fit well. The plastic is soft so watch the knife work.😳 This prototype had eight wheels and a complex suspension system. Looking quickly at drawings of the A this soon got changed.

p?i=ad5b5ed034776bcd92961acecbc947e4

p?i=1a4423bdd9974ca02844917062321f4a

• Like 8

25 minutes ago, Stef N. said:

LM said this is flat-pack rather than a tub

Told you... that's the only thing I hate in miniart. Mine in Kuta will be dismissed for sure, I'm afraid. Will try the Brummbar, if I can but no problem with that sooner or later they will go.

I'm thinking in doing some zenital lighting on the stugs. Never tried the technique but they're very appropriate for it.

Cheers

Lazy modeler was here!

• Like 1