1/35 Dragon Nashorn

spacer.png

Introducing my interpretation of the 8.8cm Pak 43/1 (L/71) Auf Fgst Pz.Kpfw.III/IV (Sf) more commonly know as the Nashorn. The unit these powerful tank killers, is the s.Pz.Jg.Abt. 525 assigned to Herresgruppe Oberrhein during Operation Nordwind, January 1945.

spacer.png

My model is one of the first kits to be released by DML/Dragon. I even mounted it right away, but it was idle for a long time, waiting for a decent paint scheme.

spacer.png

The initial proposal was the model still carries a rought winter camouflage scheme of bold White criss-cross stripes over what appears to be a Summer three colour camouflage.

spacer.png

The problem was that the 3 camouflage paint was so good that the winter camouflage idea had to be abandoned. In model making, it is sometimes better to err by omission than to err on the side of excess.

spacer.png

In the painting, I tried to make the camouflage pattern of the model, with the same typical appearance for the vehicles of this battalion.

spacer.png

The driver at his workstation. In this closer image, you can see in more detail the damaged fender.....result of battle damage or bad driver? You can comment what you think...

spacer.png

Following the official 3-digit system the vehicle’s number is carried on the superstructure side and the shield of the main gun in solid black. The number was painted onto the left hand portion only of the shield as see here.

spacer.png

Chose for this model the early type Pzkw III drive sprocket.

spacer.png

I glued the driver in the final position, where he will interact with other figures in a diorama scene, in which Nashorn is a part. In this image, the long barrel of the Pak 43 seems to have no end.

spacer.png

The Panzercrew in Field Grey uniform.  In the early war years Panzerjager crewman allocated to armoured vehicles were issued the Black panzer uniform as worn by tank crews. By 1942 the Black panzer uniforms were gradually replaced by a Field-grey version as worn by the personnel of the artillery’s  assault gun battalions. The shoulder straps they are piped in the Pink branch colour or Waffenfarbe. Heer national emblem, worn on the M43 panzer Field cap and headphone set.

spacer.png

In the next photos the model is without the rear doors, so we can have a better view on the details of the deadly 8.8cm Panzerabwehrkanone 43/1 antitank gun inside the combat compartment.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The Nashorn with its wide open rear doors. The choice of the open position is obvious due to the diorama scene in which the model will be part.

spacer.png

The vehicle’s number was usually  repeated at the rear of the fighting compartment as shown here.

spacer.png

The battalion’s unit insignia of a Lion standing on a stylised tracked vehicle as show at left.

spacer.png

Note the kill markings on the barrel near the muzzle brake. The barrel of the gun was painted with Tamiya acrylic and weathered to give it the look of the German panzer grey.

spacer.png

A close-up view of the muzzle brake and the realistic effect of a good paint job. I believe that metallic enamel paints have a better finishing performance than their acrylic counterparts.

spacer.png

The model already in its diorama, anticipating what's to come....Assembling and painting this model was a lot of fun. The best part of the game was to design and make a diorama for this remarkable model. As soon as everything is ready, I will post the complete diorama scenario on this forum.

Best regards,

Fábio.

Edited by fpmeyer
  • Like 26

A superb model Fabio. The painting is first class and the camo is top notch, slightly faded and blending into the DG. Excellent.👏👏

(I saw a second hand one of this very kit this morning and I'm now gutted I didn't buy it.)

• Thanks 1

I like that. I'm impressed by all the details, the damage, the first air box. Very well painted too. I did the Dragon Hummel so I appreciate the work that you've done on the kit - many parts!

I must add that the driver looks very strange with the white eyes. Can you really see the whites of a person's eyes from such a distance?

• Thanks 1

On 23/01/2022 at 12:06, Stef N. said:

(I saw a second hand one of this very kit this morning and I'm now gutted I didn't buy it.)

Hi!

Sometimes it happens to me too. Good luck in your search!

• Thanks 1

On 28/01/2022 at 13:12, Toryu said:

Fantastic detail and description of the various features! The dio looks very promising, too.

Thank you that you liked it.

The diorama is practically ready. The delay is being in the snow....as I live in the tropics, so the snow doesn't fall here (!)

Of course, it was just a joke. As you know, it takes some time to put the snow in the scenery, it's a slow job and done with patience.

Health,

Fábio.

• Like 1