P51 1/48 scale nose.

Mick_Gannon

2 hours ago, FinnAndersen said:

I'd say that the nose of a P-51H and the P-82B was the same...

From what I have found and read, (See  my edited post with additional information.) the P-82B did share the same basic engine installation and cowling panels with the P-51H (from the angled cowling panel forward) but  where that engine was fitted to the rest of the airframe  was not.

Mike

2 hours ago, 72modeler said:

In the two photos Mick commented upon,you can also see that the nose on the P-82B photo was extended,- look at the distance from the wing root fillet faring to the  angled panel line on the cowling in the two photos.

I posted a link to a modeler who had access to NAA drawings and made his Twin Mustang as accurate as he could in 1/32nd scale.  He posted a photo of his scratchbuilt fuselage halves along with the Dragon F-6K he used for reference.  In it, one can clearly see the relationship between the cockpit opening and wing.  It may be semantics but I thought the 'nose' is measured from the spinner tip to the start of the windscreen. However, I can see those that look at an aircraft from overhead and consider the distance from the spinner tip to the wing/fuselage junction as the nose.

spacer.png

Still a one-way discussion with people taking their time to post things so another only takes in the information. :(

spacer.png

spacer.png

Regards,

2 hours ago, FinnAndersen said:

If you look at the picture Laurent (@silberpferd) posted, the distance from the cockpit to the firewall seems the same.

You are correct, but it's the distance from the firewall /angled cowling panel to the spinner back plate that s not the same. If this makes sense, it looks like the Merlin QEC/cowling of the P-51H was shifted forward of the firewall on the P-82, which looks like it was in the same location in relation to the windscreen for both types. Does that help? I might well be wrong, but based on the references and the photos, that's what it looks like to me! If/when we get a better kit, or I decide to actually build one of my Monogram kits, I will be researching the socks off of this subject. I did get the Special Hobby kit when it was released, but it was a major disappointment, and I sold it. It would be sooo nice if just once the published dimensions for an airplane and the scale drawings would agree and be correct! :angry:

Mike

• Like 1

14 hours ago, FinnAndersen said:

Besides, Mick found a P-82B in his stash, so you might want to hold your horses.

/Finn

Yes I found the kit. However it has many failings so the choice's are A, mate the MC nose to the Modlvist kit with extra parts from P51 H, B, use parts from the Modelvist P51H and P82 kit's kit to enhance the MC kit(this would mean no cutting up of any of the kit parts just swapping), or C, wait for the correct version to be released, at present I favour the B option.

11 hours ago, 72modeler said:

... If this makes sense, it looks like the Merlin QEC/cowling of the P-51H was shifted forward of the firewall on the P-82, which looks like it was in the same location in relation to the windscreen for both types....

This is where we differ.

Pure speculation, but if I were the engineer that was tasked with making a twin Mustang from a P-51, I'd save a considerable amount of work by reusing as much as possible. Så why waste time and money on shifting the engine a few inches for CG reasons, when you can achieve the same by shifting the wing backwards? Mind you the whole structure from the firewall backwards including the wings was new design from the outset. 

Once a draft was made, calculations of the CG started, usually resulting in stuff being shifted around. And then it's easier to shift a complete component, like the engine assembly or the wing.

/Finn

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

And this is why we all love the Mustang and the twin, they are just, almost, nearly, sorta, a little, bit alike. In some ways 🤪.

Seriously- an amazing amount for detail information in this post, and not a flicker of ill will or bad feelings. This is why I like this oft read, little responded to form. Thanks all.:clap2:

• Like 1