"Sandy - cleared hot!"

Pappy

2 hours ago, Pappy said:

Speaking of photos, can you tell me what colour the fuselage area immediately behind the headrest should be? This is the bit with the canopy actuator mechanism. It looks lke there is a shroud of  some sort over the left side but the right side was open as the Stanly ''YANKEE'' rocket extraction sytem was retrtofitted. The kit does not depict this feature so I will scratch a representation.

The kit instructions indicate this area is a light grey which may be correct but I would have guessed it was the same colour as the surrounding fuselage?

cheers,

Pappy

Sorry been a bit busy today. As far as the cannon blast deflectors I haven't see any on the planes I've looked at yet. I will keep looking though. Now for the area directly behind the cockpit under the canopy. Ive seen aircraft with a canvas shroud and those without. Something lije in these photo’s. 

https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:A-1J_6th_SOS_over_Vietnam_c1968.jpg

https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:A-1H_602SOS_Jun1970.jpg#mw-jump-to-license

Some aircraft seem to only have a frame (ejection seat ?  ) behind the seat. The first photo in the link shows the canvas shroud. If you scroll down there is another showing the tubular structure under the shroud. 

https://www.airforceheritageflight.org/news/2019/08/08/wiley-coyote-a-1-skyraider-warbird-stories/

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/437623288773653795/

The canvas covers look to come in one of two colors. Green and tan based on dark and light colors. Probably based on camouflage surrounding the cockpit area. The framework looks to be a light grey, considering these were former navy birds that makes sense. Ive added these links looks like there might be some info. 

https://skyraider.org/skyassn/imcol.htm

https://www.hyperscale.com/2012/reviews/decals/zotz32050reviewrk_1.htm

Still looking at cannons. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, helios16v said:

Coming along nicely Pappy.  Love all the modifications...you are making me want to do something stupid and probably get in over my head.  Again... :rofl2:

Generally I only go to the Quinta/Eduard cockpit items if either the provided kit details are non-existent or if I'm doing a conversion/back-dating/up-dating.  I'm glad they are available, and hope they are successful so they continue to produce products so on those occasions I do find the provided details lacking I've got options.  Since I usually build canopy closed (due primarily to dust), I'm usually satisfied w/ a simple drybrush and wash to make the details pop.  Having the choice to use them or not makes this a wonderous time to be a modeler.  We've got it good.....despite what some of the complainers (not necessarily in here, just in the hobby in general) would have you believe.

G'day Chris,

I think that at the end of the day you make your own decision and my approval or otherwise is irrelevant really. How you justify using AM is an individual decision and the fact that most of this stuff is selling well proves that there is a demand. I use heaps of AM myself and I have even bought AM just 'coz it looked nice then went looking for a kit to put it into so my ramblings are really of no consequence.

Aaaanyyway, enough soap boxing, time to go back to the styrene,

So I have prepped the cockpit tub for painting with the addition of some PE.

DSCN8560.JPG

DSCN8559.JPG

DSCN8558.JPG

There is more to come but I will paint the various elements separately for ease of painting

Same goes for the seat

DSCN8572.JPG

DSCN8571.JPG

Yesterday was a public holiday in Oz, so I managed to get all these bits cleaned up and together before heading off for a surf

DSCN8567.JPG

Getting all the seams cleaned up should keep me busy while waiting for extras to arrive. Not all of these will be installed but it will be fun deciding. Tamiya also provide polycaps for use with some of the stores allowing the builder to swap out ordnance  which is pretty cool.

Finally I have a question regarding the main u/c

Each of the main gear legs has a small recess

DSCN8568.JPG

The instructions don't seem to indicate what is supposed to fit into these notches, nor do they suggest that they need to be filled in. I noticed that there are two unused landing lights (F2) on the clear sprue

DSCN8570.JPG

I imagine these would fit into the recesses but as I said, the lights are not mentioned in the instructions. I am thinking that other versions (A-1D?) use them but that these were not required on the A-1J? If anyone knows and has some reference pics that would be awesome,

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 7

58 minutes ago, Pappy said:

G'day Chris,

I think that at the end of the day you make your own decision and my approval or otherwise is irrelevant really. How you justify using AM is an individual decision and the fact that most of this stuff is constantly in demand proves that there is a demand. I use heaps of AM myself and I have even bought AM then went looking for a kit to put it into so my ramblings are really  of no consequence.

Aaaanyyway, enough soap boxing, time to go back to the styrene,

So I have prepped the cockpit tub for painting with the addition of some PE.

DSCN8560.JPG

DSCN8559.JPG

DSCN8558.JPG

There is more to come but I will paint the various elements separately for ease of painting

Same goes for the seat

DSCN8572.JPG

DSCN8571.JPG

Yesterday was a public holiday in Oz, so I managed to get all these bits cleaned up and together before heading off for a surf

DSCN8567.JPG

Getting all the seams cleaned up should keep me busy while waiting for extras to arrive. Not all of these will be installed but it will be fun deciding. Tamiya also provide polycaps for use with some of the stores allowing the builder to swap out ordnance  which is pretty cool.

Finally I have a question regarding the main u/c

Each of the main gear legs has a small recess

DSCN8568.JPG

The instructions don't seem to indicate what is supposed to fit into these notches, nor do they suggest that they need to be filled in. I noticed that there are two unused landing lights (F2) on the clear sprue

DSCN8570.JPG

I imagine these would fit into the recesses but as I said, the lights are not mentioned in the instructions. I am thinking that other versions (A-1D?) use them but that these were not required on the A-1J? If anyone knows and has some reference pics that would be awesome,

cheers,

Pappy

I think Mike @72modeler knows more about those lights. I think we've come across this before in a Spad discussion. 

11 hours ago, Pappy said:

Great use of your day I'd say :speak_cool:

Nice work Pappy, I like all the stores, only right a Skyraider has everything loaded.

Ok those recesses in the main gear I think are for the Bridles mounts for the Navy birds. I'd have to check but early airforce ones still had them fitted (my A-1E did), but were probably removed later on.

You can sort of see them here.

IMG_5091-M.jpg

Those extra lights may have been for the wingtip mounted landing lights. Again some had them (again my A-1E did) but nut not sure of the rest. There is a special fairing needed for the wing tips to fit these. Again I'd need to check references.

Maybe Tamiya had been planning to do an A-1E!!!!!  :yikes:  :wub:   Oh calm my beating heart!!!  :D

• Like 3

On 1/28/2022 at 10:13 AM, trickyrich said:

Nice work Pappy, I like all the stores, only right a Skyraider has everything loaded.

Ok those recesses in the main gear I think are for the Bridles mounts for the Navy birds. I'd have to check but early airforce ones still had them fitted (my A-1E did), but were probably removed later on.

You can sort of see them here.

IMG_5091-M.jpg

Those extra lights may have been for the wingtip mounted landing lights. Again some had them (again my A-1E did) but nut not sure of the rest. There is a special fairing needed for the wing tips to fit these. Again I'd need to check references.

Maybe Tamiya had been planning to do an A-1E!!!!!  :yikes:  :wub:   Oh calm my beating heart!!!  :D

G'day Rich,

I agree with you on both points.

I think that the notches are for the launch bridles as well and I will simply fill mine in. I had a look at Tamiya's Navy Skyraider kit (A-1D) instructions over on Scalemates and interestingly although the notches appear in their instructions there was no mention of catapult bridles either. Similarly the wingtip landing lights (F2) are included but not mentioned. Like you I concluded that Tamiya was planning to release another Skyraider variant, but when and which would be anyone's guess.

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy

I reckon they do that to tease people like you and me!!

Ok don't quote me on this but these "extra" features seemed to be found only on the A-1E's/AD-5's from what I've been able to find out. The New bridle mounts were used inlace of the original (and later) wing mounted ones, not sure why they did this for these birds. Now the additional landing lights not fitted to all of these aircraft, there appears to be quite a bit of variation, the wing ones defiantly varied in fitment and I think on whether 1 or 2 were fitted. The model I built ad 2 fitted plus the one in the LH wheel well cover 

Those main gear cover ones sat in the front main gear wheel well covers, if fitted it was usually on the LH one, but have photos showing them also fitted to the RH one. Again I've only seen then on this type of Skyraider.

Knowing Tamiya, they just might pop one of these out one day!!! I reckon they'd be a sell out for sure!

On 1/28/2022 at 11:15 AM, trickyrich said:

I reckon they do that to tease people like you and me!!

Ok don't quote me on this but these "extra" features seemed to be found only on the A-1E's/AD-5's from what I've been able to find out. The New bridle mounts were used inlace of the original (and later) wing mounted ones, not sure why they did this for these birds. Now the additional landing lights not fitted to all of these aircraft, there appears to be quite a bit of variation, the wing ones defiantly varied in fitment and I think on whether 1 or 2 were fitted. The model I built ad 2 fitted plus the one in the LH wheel well cover 

Those main gear cover ones sat in the front main gear wheel well covers, if fitted it was usually on the LH one, but have photos showing them also fitted to the RH one. Again I've only seen then on this type of Skyraider.

Knowing Tamiya, they just might pop one of these out one day!!! I reckon they'd be a sell out for sure!

On 1/28/2022 at 11:26 AM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Even better if it was 1/32. 

And down the rabbit hole we go!

I was going through the photo refs at the Official A-1 Skyraider Site (what an awesome website btw) and there is indeed a variation in wingtip landing light config. The LHS light is clearly visible in many pics and looking at the kit lower wing part  there seems to be some more evidence of a recess moulded for wingtip lights, perhaps the big T was palnning on releasing an A-1H at some point.

I also noticed that the USAF aircraft sometimes sported the USN type spoked wheel hubs instead of the smooth dished type, so it will pay to try and find a pic of the exactt tail as there was plenty of variation both between and within units. This should not be that unexpected during a long running war (''there's a war on you know'') when spares might be a little constrained.

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Pappy said:

The LHS light is clearly visible in many pics and looking at the kit lower wing part  there seems to be some more evidence of a recess moulded for wingtip lights, perhaps the big T was palnning on releasing an A-1H at some point.

They did a 1/48 in 1998.  I've got one in the stash for an eventual VA-95 build (AD6) once I locate (or make) some decals.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/tamiya-61058-douglas-a-1h-skyraider--104854

13 hours ago, helios16v said:

They did a 1/48 in 1998.  I've got one in the stash for an eventual VA-95 build (AD6) once I locate (or make) some decals.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/tamiya-61058-douglas-a-1h-skyraider--104854

G'day Chris,

My apologies, I meant to say A-1E not H. I had a look on-line at the navy box instructions and the only thing different was that different ordnance options are suggested. The 'J' boxing includes weapons sprues for both.

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 1

G'day people,

I spent a little time painting up the cockpit between bouts of weapon assembly and clean-up. The seat is done for now

DSCN8580.JPG

DSCN8579.JPG

I then moved onto the tub. I spent some time looking at on-line pics of Skyraider cockpits and it seems that no two are alike! Many shared some common features like a black panel with black upper areas but the lower cockpit and floor had lots of variation. I decided for a grey floor just to add a little contrast and avoid a black hole effect.

DSCN8583.JPG

DSCN8581.JPG

Finally the PE instrument panel was added over the kit supplied detail

DSCN8584.JPG

I deliberately opted for a higher contrast for the rudder pedals, almost echoing the 'Spanish school" style of sharp contrast. The rudder pedals are deeply buried under the IP and so pushed the contrast as they will not be readily seen. There were some PE replacement pedals supplied. Given the lack of visibility and the amount of work that would be required to remove the supplied detail to replace it with marginal (at best) improvement, I decided to leave these off.

I also filled in the irksome u/c leg notches

DSCN8578.JPG

DSCN8586.JPG

The brake lines were now added

DSCN8588.JPG

My research also showed that many USAF aircraft had the spoked type hubs that the kit instructions state are not used. I have painted up both types to keep my options open until I decide on a specific subject

DSCN8589.JPG

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 12

On 1/29/2022 at 7:38 PM, Col. said:

Nice work in the 'pit. Everything certainly looks 'right' even though I'm not familiar with the Skyraider cockpit.

Cheers Col,

Not much can be seen once the cockpit tub is installed. The common theme seems to be black for sidewalls above the side consoles and given the amount of overhang that the cockpit sill has the viewer will not see much beyond the seat and sintrument panel,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Pappy said:

..sintrument panel,

I think we need one of those with a gauge to indicate how naughty @trickyrich has been while leading impressionable forum members and innocent onlookers into buying more aftermarket spicy goodies :hmmm:

• Haha 4

gosh you do lovely work Pappy..... I must remember to get you to do some of mine in future! :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, Col. said:

I think we need one of those with a gauge to indicate how naughty @trickyrich has been while leading impressionable forum members and innocent onlookers into buying more aftermarket spicy goodies :hmmm:

:tease:

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Hewy said:

Lovley work on the brake lines pappy , you've painted the cockpit up beautifully too

Thanks hewi

14 hours ago, Col. said:

Great idea!

12 hours ago, trickyrich said:

gosh you do lovely work Pappy..... I must remember to get you to do some of mine in future! :thumbsup:

:tease:

Have paintbrush, will travel. I will work for beer!

G'day people,

Calling the cockpit done for now

DSCN8598.JPG

DSCN8597.JPG

DSCN8593.JPG

I added a few random placards from decal spares to add a little more interest. The fuselage is now ready to close

DSCN8600.JPG

There are a few more cockpit bits to add but these will be added once the fuselage seam has been dealt with.

The donk was also painted after adding some very basic ignition harness details

DSCN8587.JPG

DSCN8599.JPG

The supplied detail looks basic and really only works when it is viewed head-on. Thankfully there is no point going nuts as the visibility is limited once it has been ensconced within the engine cowl

DSCN8610.JPG

Lastly, the main u/c legs have been painted and they look nice. The PE set supplies overlays for the tail wheel which is an improvement but I am yet to be convinced as it still looks a little too solid for my liking. I still have my options open for a subject as I have not yet added the wheel hubs

DSCN8602.JPG

DSCN8603.JPG

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 15

3 hours ago, Mick Drover said:

Tidy stuff Pappy. I do like the USAF version of the A-1 in the SEAC colours.

All bombed up and ready for mayhem no doubt?

Cheers,

Mick

G'day Mick,

Yup, all in aid of resuing a downed flyer (all rescue ops had the 'Sandy' callsign) , providing top cover

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 1