Henschel Hs 123 in Spanish Skies

My entry will be the original ground attack aircraft of the Second World War, which was the precursor of the Stuka - the Henschel Hs 123.

I happen to have this kit in the stash for some time, so the group build is a great opportunity to clear at least one kit from the stash..

spacer.png

The AM Tech kit is actually the rather venerable ESCI kit from the 1970's, but has added resin goodies to do the cockpit.

I intend to do this in the Spanish markings that come with the kit, which is of one of the aircraft that was retained by Franco's Nationalists

after the Civil War, and the markings on the kit are from the aircraft in 1945.

The Scalemates information on the kit is here;-  https://www.scalemates.com/kits/amtech-489203-henschel-hs-123a-1--120433

I have also purchased the Montex Maxi mask for this kit, which allows me to spray the various national insignia and tactical markings, instead

of using most of the decals.

I will be beginning in a week or two.

Philip  

• Like 9

I didn't realise this type continued in service for so long as 1945 but that will certainly make for unusual markings :) Great subject choice Philip.

• Like 1

Well, I took down the box from the attic stash, and then realised that I had already taken the photos of the sprues 8 years ago, back in 2013

for a club build that, unfortunately, didn't happen, so the box went back into the stash.  

I managed to find the photos on my computer, so here are the sprue shots:-

The main sprue, with the fuselage and the bottom part of the lower wing, and other bits, including the engine:-

spacer.png

The other wing pieces, elevators and the engine cowling:-

spacer.png

The next sprue, containing wheels, spats, cabane struts, the seat and some bombs (which won't be used)

spacer.png

All of the above are vintage Esci, which appear to date from 1977, but were re-boxed by AM Tech for this kit

AM Tech has added these resin bits for the cockpit (made apparently by a firm called Black Box)

spacer.png

and also some additional plastic, for "unspatted" undercarriage legs, (as used on the Russian front).   Again, they won't be used

on this build.  Also in the photo, in its plastic bag, is the transparency (which is very small).

spacer.png

and finally, there are the AM Tech decals:-

spacer.png

My version will be those attractive Spanish ones, with the lightning bolt in blue on the fuselage, the red and yellow roundels on the

wings, and the black St Andrew's Cross for the white tail.  Despite the age of the kit (2003), these decals seem to be in good nick, so

I will probably only use the Montex masks that I have for the Cross and the numbers and (possibly) for the roundels   The masks don't

do the lightning bolt, which will be "interesting" to apply onto an aluminium / silver painted background.  (I can keep the remaining decals,

masks, and the other stuff, for another Esci kit in due course  - which I also happen to have in the stash)

and @col, the instructions state that the Spanish version is from the 61st Squadron of the Spanish Air Force from 1945.  Interestingly, while

the Francoist St Andrew's cross is retained, the old Spanish red and yellow roundels had, by that stage, replaced the black circles that the

Nationalist rebels had used during the Civil War.  (A similar situation applied to the Heinkel 112's that the Condor Legion had used during the

Civil War, and which had been kept afterwards by the Spanish - I have an RS Model kit of this, in 1/72nd, in the shelf of Doom).

Philip

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Previously we have been told that Village Photo's certificate or whatever had expired so there were problems opening them when using Google Chrome as a browser but they seemed to work on Firefox. Now both are telling me that the certificate has expired and the site is "dangerous" so they won't open it. An attempt to check their status on the web came back with the same sort of message - certificate expired - dangerous site etc. Unless they happen to be disrupted by the situation in the Ukraine or some of the sanctions (possible I suppose as I have no idea where they are based), it looks as if they may have closed their site or had a major IT failure.

Pete

Edited by PeterB