1:72 Hasegawa Boeing F/A-18F Super Hornet

Navy Bird

1 hour ago, arfa1983 said:

I'm so disappointed that this isn't going into the gallery. For sure my favourite build in this GB. 

Ah, but it will live on to eternity in the pages of this WIP (and sooner or later an RFI). That is, of course, as long as someone keeps paying my Flickr subscription.     :)

So, where were we? Missiles, right. When an AIM-120 is loaded onto the outboard wing pylons (stations 2 and 10), the LAU-127 launch rail is attached to a BRU-32 bomb ejection rack which is in turn attached to the pylon. All I need are the launch rails and I can fake it.

And guess what? I have two launch rails sitting in the kit box. Remember how I used the resin wing set? That means I didn't use the kit wings or the launch rails. So I should be good to go. Good thing I remembered that I had them!    :doh:

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 3

On 4/25/2022 at 8:47 PM, Navy Bird said:

IMG_6397

You may notice that the gear doors are also on. The red edges to the doors were applied with a Sharpie, and sealed with MRP Gloss.

😮 A Sharpie? This seems like the best gear door edge idea ever!

Am I correct in guessing you went with matte white for the interior of the doors so the Sharpie juice had something to bite into?

I'm totally doing this on my next Navy bird build. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, RaceAddict said:

Am I correct in guessing you went with matte white for the interior of the doors so the Sharpie juice had something to bite into?

It helps. It's also a lot easier than masking off the red edges and then painting the white.    :)

Some tips: Use a red Sharpie with the large chisel tip. It has a nice straight edge instead of a point, and it's super easy to glide it along the edge of the gear door. I go about half way around the door and then let it dry before doing the rest, otherwise you can get some on your fingertips and make a mess. Once it's all on and dry, it has to be clear coated. Why? To seal it in so that the glue won't affect it. I use superglue to attach the doors - do not use liquid cement as this will melt the clear coat, the Sharpie red, and the plastic and make a right nice mess. Ask me how I know.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Finally, after 10 excruciating days I've managed to complete one FLIR pod, two pylons, and four lousy missiles. No wonder my annual output is hovering at approximately four models. Aye, aye, aye.    :doh:

But, now that I've said that - the completion of the lousy missiles means this baby is done! Normally, I stop working when there are no more parts, but in this case I put the extra parts in a zip-loc bag for future use because you never know when you might need an extra Hornet wing or two. Here she is:

IMG_6411

IMG_6412

The paint schemes on the missiles are based entirely on reference photographs, including ones of this very aircraft. There are no stripes on the AIM-9M Sidewinders on the wingtips - those are the aforementioned "safe/arm indicator" stickers. Hard to see in these photos, but there are three bits of decal - red, white, and green. I cut them into shapes that matched the stickers in my reference photos. I think the blue body of the captive training Sidewinder adds a bit of interest to the model. Got to break up all that grey.

A proper RFI will follow after I take some more pictures.    📸

Cheers,

Bill

PS. I like it. I think it just became my favourite Hornet model - must be the VFA-2 CAG markings.

• Like 10