"The Living Daylights" Hercules Escape

This diorama is for "The Living Daylights" C-130 Hercules I am currently transforming.

- Essentially, a runway with sandy areas either side with some desert scrub, a Dodge tearing down the runway alongside the Hercules, and a couple of mounted figures waving off the plane.

That is the picture I have had in my mind for a long time, now to (try) and turn it into reality.

- My not very artistic artists impression of what I hope to achieve.

y4maxFQE51-yBAMOLFvsO-YBd-dC8BdmmClTDU1R

It will storyboard like this:

Aircraft about to take off from desert airfield

y4mdjHQtvdXyGIazseusDqYh2iknR8qPP0XfnjtW

With vehicle racing alongside

y4mSY77GnNgLc8vghhAL7PHTP1WcqzcEJFOzD7mX

Nasty piece of work, I mean villain, (Necros) about to jump onboard 

y4mrO9Dks3ojtJ35yaJvinxJKUSV6lkzT_HIM2_f

With a few mounted Mujahideen on the sandy area to one side

y4mf9jPi4ei1h_24qkTgEX1z5lBCmipsOecIDzWv-

Now to find out if I can pull this off and make a convincing diorama. Watch this space...

Bill.

• Like 7

I once heard a tail about a Hercules coming in to RAF Honnington, running down the main and dropping the ramp.  Out came a vehicle which dropped off the ramp on to the runway, shot off round the airfield while the Herc went up and circled, before coming back through with rear wheels down on the runway, ramp down & the vehicle went back in before the Herc disappeared away. At no time did the Herc stop and guys on the ground had no idea this was planned.  Good fun afternoon I guess!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The post I wrote has just disappeared, so here goes again...

The board I'm using is good old fashioned 3/4" blockboard. Actually, this is a bit of the old model cabinet I made Donkey's years ago, so it's fitting to use that in my newish model cabinet, though it only just fits. It's 19 inches square (that's 482 mm in the new fangled metric system🤭)

Runway painted in Rev Anthracite with a touch of Humbrol Khaki, then lines added.  - I sneaked in a couple of mounted figures to check their placement.

y4m-LB6OdWQvJBhkTtyg-EYQUyAGtZ8CCbNFI3Ne

All it needs now is weathering...

y4meokaht4IJpJC5VPWyaJQnFJSbO48Wpk7uDjFt

Several washes of dark grey and khaki followed by dry brushing for a nice streaky, slightly dusty look.

Now I'm just about ready for the sandy areas.

- Playing with plaster follows shortly, in the meantime here's some music...  Well, no music, so you'll have make up your own ☺️🎶

Bill.

• Like 6

Greetings everyone.

A plastering we will go...😃

y4mfh1LSLlKOeX1DW8g83OoqL-6bV946pE7Tpb7u

So the plaster can built up slightly higher for the sandy areas, I made up some strips of wood to act as boundaries at the two corners, hence the straps.

I used some old casting powder that had been hanging about for over a decade thinking it would not set, so added a good amount of PVA. To my surprise it started settings within a few minutes! This had the effect of making me move faster than is normally the case!

y4mzs1bIJNAO72yO7tDsPnCj7A_bLE5cPgK7nrPJ

Masking removed, and the plaster ended up a little closer to the runway than I thought it would due to the masking tape pulling out from underneath the plaster 😖

It can be sorted though, as nothing is impossible in model making.

The depressions for the mounted figures were made with the aid of the end of a lolly stick, but will have to be chiseled out more as the plaster set too quickly for the stick to make much of an impression. 

A little  plaster work still to do then, but at least the ground is coming along.

Bis bald, Bye for now,

Bill

• Like 5

On 23/01/2022 at 17:54, bar side said:

I once heard a tail about a Hercules coming in to RAF Honnington, running down the main and dropping the ramp.  Out came a vehicle which dropped off the ramp on to the runway, shot off round the airfield while the Herc went up and circled, before coming back through with rear wheels down on the runway, ramp down & the vehicle went back in before the Herc disappeared away. At no time did the Herc stop and guys on the ground had no idea this was planned.  Good fun afternoon I guess!

Had a tour of Wethersfield a few years back. Used by 'assorted govt services'. Was told by our guide the SAS did a similar thing with a practice hostage rescue.

The field is buttoned up a bit tighter now, and you can't even get in to see the museum ATM.  

Some of the police have left Wethersfield for Wyton now, I had seen that the rest of the base was going to be redeveloped.  Either a prison or housing I think

1 hour ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Had a tour of Wethersfield a few years back. Used by 'assorted govt services'. Was told by our guide the SAS did a similar thing with a practice hostage rescue.

The field is buttoned up a bit tighter now, and you can't even get in to see the museum ATM.  

Latest stunt,they want to build 2 prisons on the site. The whole place is very contentious. The govt keep coming up with ideas, because they don't want to give the site back to the 4 original land owners, as they have to sell back at original purchase price. They wanted to put housing on it, but it would have had to bee leasehold, as they have to give the original landowners first option on land sale. Then the govt put a ban on leasehold newbuilds, so shot themselves in the foot again.

Like Wattisham, some of the buildings hold Govt servers, amongst other sneaky beaky things.

• 2 weeks later...

About time I made an update:

y4moS64V_U6VQaST2hENJIpggafIr8xQ4ZzIRkXN

Plaster painted and added a few patchy grass tufts from the War World Scenics range. Could have made my own grassy bits, but these seemed like fun and they were. Plenty left over for another diorama.

I also bought some very fine desert sand from WWS, and with a substantial amount of PVA added to the base, it was off to sanding...

y4mb6Y3b2GDBTn-yNj7UPIQWDy0-njHXHv3hyrc-

The sand was so fine it went straight through a regular sieve, so used this tea infuser from the kitchen. Just perfect for the purpose.

y4mkSuFURID22iW6es0ppISZug8eSdUrSJ4qChnZ

If my sister in law says her tea is a bit gritty, I'll just smirk!

y4myE8l5UU5doCl7F3oo364WW1HmqB00qr040BvI

y4miM_fzA7zGV3jKksIcO6F9SmwEL6YQ2si8de_m

y4mISmbcnVp80siq5TkU-79-3SkpOEc91J0l0I9d

I did give the sandy areas a light wash over with some dirty thinner, but it looked really horrible. So i lightly PVA'ed and sanded again. 

Think I'll just leave it at that, maybe do some dry brushing , but that's all.

y4mhY9-WMtqZDQTsJiIZjuAaB0822MiyZibOmpvb

Couldn't wait to see what a model would look like on the base:

y4mTMd6usTpsX5MSt8Ap_p0W4PeQyef3zKoevPbL

"Hell of a time for a breakdown!"

Wrong aircraft, wrong scale, but I'm pleased with the base as a whole.

Next will be incorporating all of the model elements, but that maybe a little while off yet, so no-one hold their breath. 

Cheerio for now,

Bill.

• Like 5