Typhoon warning...

Starting my thread for this GB with the obligatory box shot:

20220122_192512 (1)

An old kit that I plan to get re-acquainted with after building a couple many moons ago, Hopefully I'll finish it a little better

this time round. Next we have what's in the box:

20220122_192133

There's not alot in there but it builds into a decent looking Typhoon as far as I remember. I also have a couple of after market

bits for a bit of embellishment:

20220122_192418

The after market decals are a bit 'meh' for my tastes, being either plain or the usual culprits so I have an idea of how I'll be

finishing it provided I get that far. Now going to put my DH2 on the backburner and work will begin tomorrow on this.

Good luck everyone and let's all try and make it to the finish line.

Cheers...

• Like 7

Update on the old Monogram kit......spent most of the time since the last update painting and assembling the Airwaves cockpit which was

a bit of a struggle for me as the old Mark ones aren't as good as they used to be. Still, I managed to use most of the items on the fret and

got them to where they should be, and best of all the carpet monster got none!

As said most of the work has been with the tub, here's a series of progress and the result:

20220124_134427

20220124_134505

The cockpit frame was assembled with the kit seat altered as per Airwaves instructions. The brass frame was beefed up using plastic

rod and all the fishpplates were then put on the joins - not one was lost! I then worked through all the detail painting and affixed as

required working my way through the fret. It was slow work as I had to make sure glueing an item in place would not intefere with

the next piece which proved a bit of a task. All went well but I must admit some of the levers/handles provided were beyond me.

Here's the fruits of my labours:

20220129_161034

20220129_161052

Lastly - the resultant tub in place with a lovely Yahu instrument panel, which is not made for this kit but works if you angle each side

panel a little more than you should, I think it looks OK:

20220129_165115

Hoping to get the fuselage closed up tomorrow and maybe the wings prepped and fitted.

Thanks for looking.....

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

Update time again, I thought I'd leave this one until all the boring old filling, sanding, and undercoating was done. It's not that enthralling anyway.

All of the above has been done and all went well. I thinned down my top coat colours and each one took three applications until I was happy, I have

had a mishap where the paint from the cannon fairings has ran back onto the underwing but that'll not take much to correct:

20220220_170754

The upper surfaces are done and have had a couple of coats of varnish (think it will get one more just to be sure):

20220220_170816

20220220_170831

I've also started on the smaller items so they'll be ready when needed:

20220220_170958

Next week will see more work on the bits and bobs, and if the big H delivers we may see some decalling - I've got the stencil

sheet and a set of markings coming hopefully.

Thanks for dropping by.....

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Finally posting an update after a busy period at work, followed by a weeks glamping in Somerset. It's all gone remarkably to plan - unusually for me - and I'm pleased where I'm at. First up, a collection of bits ready to hang onto the kit - if anyone can advise me on a good method to put a red stripe half way up the spinner then I'd be very appreciative:

20220313_124636

Then we have the undersides, still need to be dirtied up:

20220313_124519

Now a topside:

20220313_124501

Working from a photograph and profile from the book Typhoon and Tempest Story by our very own Chris Thomas and Chris Shores,

my model attemps a replica of RB382 from 184 squadron in 1945. As the markings are not readily available (suprisingly) I have made

an attempt at making my own:

20220313_124416

20220313_124350

This week should see a final gloss, followed by a matt coat, then I'll get some of those bits attached. This is going suprisingly well

for me and quite quickly too, just waiting for something to bite me now!

Thanks for looking.....

Edited by mackem01
  • Like 7

Have you tried Tamiya flexible masking tape? If you cut it extremely thinly it can be made very straight over a round surface like The spinner. You can make them front and back then mask the other side of these lines. You just need to really burnish it down right before you paint as it isn't quite so sticky as regular Tamiya tape. Also probably don't use a lot of thinner to avoid bleeding. 

I highly recommend this tape for all sorts of applications, including masking camo patterns and radomes. 

2 hours ago, mackem01 said:

advise me on a good method to put a red stripe half way up the spinner

• Thanks 1

On 3/13/2022 at 2:46 PM, mackem01 said:

a good method to put a red stripe half way up the spinner

Mount the prop assy, or the spinner alone if possible, on a shaft. Chuck it in a drill and spin it as slowly as you can. When you get it running as true as possible bring a sharp scriber into contact and scribe fine lines at both ends of your red area. then paint by hand, allowing the thin paint to run into the engraved lines by capillary action so it's nice and straight. 

or

Mask off the front white bit and paint the rest red. Mask off the rear of the red bit and paint the rest white again. Masking the 'uphill' edges is easy compared to going the other way. (You might need to paint a grey layer under the rearmost white part to cover the red well enough.)

or

Use very thinly sliced red decal lines to give yourself a sharp demarcation line front and back and fill the middle in with red paint.

• 3 weeks later...