STOL/VTOL At 32 onwards, or should that be upwards? to the Bunfight!!!!

Marklo

There was a Helicopter/VSTOL GB in 2020 so next year would be three years and I reckon this would be a fun GB to revisit. Personally it’ll be an excuse to dust off my Hawk Lysander and the sole helicopter in my stash oh and of course a Fieseler Storch if the Reconnaissance GB doesn’t fly (so to speak)

resized_c94b0e4e-0450-4ed0-ae32-60ab48b7

So the proposal: anything short or vertical takeoff from catapult launched  Sopwith Camels through to F35s ( there’s a version with VTOL capability,  isn’t there ?) with anything in between.

c472b773-204f-42be-b4a3-d55a3e0c7706.jpeThis one gets in on a technicality.it’s a Sopwith Camel modified to be dropped from an airship. Takeoffs don’t get any shorter than that….

resized_6b5213ee-da78-4cf4-93ea-c2d6fee6
Yes VTOL F35

Any takers?

1. me (of course)

2. @Corsairfoxfouruncle

3. @Mig Eater

4. @ArnoldAmbrose

5. @helios16v

6. @theplasticsurgeon

7. @zebra

8. @Rob S

9. @JOCKNEY

10. @CliffB

11. @desert falcon

12. @Dermo245

13.  @Col.

14. @Mr T

15. @Jabba

16. @Tim R-T-C

17. @Evil_Toast_RSA

18. @Hewy
19. @Jb65rams

20. @Bobby No Mac

21. @Arniec

22. @Prenton

23. @Scargsy

24. @Dansk

25. @Andwil

26. @exdraken

27. @DaveJL

28. @arfa1983

29. @John Masters

30. @bianfuxia

31. @Colin W

32. @Hockeyboy76

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Would Trapeze launch & recovery be ok ? If so I have a Curtiss F9C Sparrow-hawk thats aching to get built. They operated off of the Dirigible carriers.

Only if you build a 1/72(?) airship to launch it too 🤣

The world of VTOL is full of interesting prototypes & concepts so I'm sure I could find something to join in with.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Mig Eater said:

Only if you build a 1/72(?) airship to launch it too 🤣

Actually if I was any good at soldering I did contemplate building the trapeze snd overhead hanger door section. Though the plane is in 1/32 so it would be a large piece either way. 

• Like 1

Gidday, how about missiles? Launching rails weren't all that long. I'd consider a Bristol Bloodhound, which to me looks like an aircraft anyway. Regards, Jeff.

PS - I know missiles don't often 'land' as such, they have a tendency to blow up instead. So if on that criteria they don't qualify I quite understand and will bow out gracefully. Regards, again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Actually if I was any good at soldering I did contemplate building the trapeze snd overhead hanger door section. Though the plane is in 1/32 so it would be a large piece either way. 

Oh that would be a a sight to behold, you'd need a few miles of brass tube & a steady hand to make all the structure around the hanger!

spacer.png

Scratch building the USS Macon in 1/144 scale is one of my bucket list projects, I've been thinking of suggesting an Aircraft Carrier GB so I'd have an excuse to build it :P

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Mig Eater said:

Oh that would be a a sight to behold, you'd need a few miles of brass tube & a steady hand to make all the structure around the hanger!

spacer.png

Scratch building the USS Macon in 1/144 scale is one of my bucket list projects, I've been thinking of suggesting an Aircraft Carrier GB so I'd have an excuse to build it :P

Yeah Im not that crazy, someone else already has though. http://www.flyian.net/aircraft/museum/nasmanx/fsc2.htm

What I had in mind was this but from underneath the airship. dN8PEXZ.jpg

qdijiWQ.jpg

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Mig Eater said:

I've been thinking of suggesting an Aircraft Carrier GB so I'd have an excuse to build it

Gidday, I'm into 1/600 scale ships mainly, and wish to do some carriers in the future as to date I've only done Airfix's HMS Ark Royal. So I'd be interested in such a GB. It never occurred to me that airships would be included but of course they would. 🙂 Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

I forgot that there is already the salty sea dog GB proposal, which covers aircraft carriers & carrier aircraft.

Anyway... VTOL aircraft :P

Pondering some ideas, the Germans made some funky VTOL prototypes in the 1960's that would be interesting.

EWR VJ 101
1920px-VJ101-1.jpg  

Dornier Do 31

Do31-1.jpg

• Like 4

Remember the Helicopter / Autogyro / STOVL GB well, building this

Italeri 1/72 F-35 Lightning an

Italieri 1/72 Apache Longbow and comparison builds of an

Xtrakit 1/72 Sea Harrier  alongside  it's Airfix equivalent.

And these kits in my stash, are nodding at me

Airfix-Harrier-GR9.jpg

Hasegawa-AV8-B-Harrier.jpg

Sword_Harrier.jpg

Revell_X32A.jpg

Revell_X35B.jpg

Count me in for at least one.

• Like 2

Got Harrier aplenty in the stash along with a Yak-36 and -38 plus a few 'copters in the stash so sign me up please :) 

If you need a co-host consider me willing.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Marklo said:

You get #12a if that isn’t portentous I don’t know what is :) 

I'm not superstitious so feel free to put me in at 13th place :) 

• Haha 1

Count me in, I have a few Helicopters and VTOL aircraft, and somewhere I think I still have a Yak 141 'Freestyle' kit as I always fancied building one after seeing it at Farnborough in 1992. 

• Thanks 1