Rye Field 1/35 Panther Ausf F - What If Scheme

robw_uk

1 hour ago, Patrykd said:

Why you didn't remove injection pin marks?

Hi Patrykd. I think it's because Rob was just practicing the techniques on some scrap plastic. It's a test piece, not part of the kit.

Kind regards, 

Stix

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Patrykd. I think it's because Rob was just practicing the techniques on some scrap plastic. It's a test piece, not part of the kit.

Kind regards, 

Stix

what he said.... did wonder if someone would comment. Actually this piece (in the Jagdpanzer kit) has another layer of armour over the top. The Panther kit has the sp[rue with this part in it for some of the running gear parts so decided using it to test cast texture (will use it to look at potential camo as well, and later home made zimmerit) was a good idea

3 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

I'd put white stars on it AND the Iron Cross as used by the Bundeswehr.

the Bundeswehr markings are something I dont have any of. Wondering if in a what-if the Germans would've moved to that while fighting alongside the Allies. Now adding the star was also something I considered but think (mostly cos its the decals I have) that I will stick with continuation of WWII markings 

11 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

But who wants to make models of diplomats and peace prize winners?

You mean like Churchill and Cromwell, Sherman and Grant, characters like them? 🙂

OK, maybe stretched things in my ignorance a bit with Sherman and Grant but Churchill and Cromwell both chatted quite a bit before things got heavy.

On 02/02/2022 at 21:52, robw_uk said:

the Bundeswehr markings are something I dont have any of. Wondering if in a what-if the Germans would've moved to that while fighting alongside the Allies. Now adding the star was also something I considered but think (mostly cos its the decals I have) that I will stick with continuation of WWII markings 

I think the iron cross bundy things were envisaged much later on in time, I reckon in your scenario they'd have gone with white stars for everything.

after a number of discussions, I decided that only "odd shaped" parts were cast... so these have been coated in Mr Surfacer 500. Hull is just placed on for now....

IMG-20220206-184839.jpg

IMG-20220206-185825.jpg 

IMG-20220206-185835.jpg

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

a fair chunk of progress... the major components on the hull and turret are now done and I have one run of tracks done (they are workable). As you know, I love adding just a little extra so have done some mesh screens (turret and main engine deck vent)... think they work OK...

IMG-20220227-163123.jpg

IMG-20220227-162453.jpg

IMG-20220227-162520.jpg

IMG-20220227-162506.jpg

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

build finished..... added an extra set of spare tracks on the turret.... still not 100% decided on a paint scheme... might be "giraffe" style dunkelgelb and green (or brown) hull and then red oxide turret....

IMG-20220330-205229.jpg

IMG-20220330-205244.jpg

IMG-20220330-205239.jpg

• Like 6

Which type of scheme worked best in 1945? Allied overall OD or the German 3-colour disruptive patterns. Allied German forces might have selected whatever protected them best Large green tanks might have become confused with the large green tanks operated by the opposition - but then again, weary allied gunners might momentarily let it slip their minds that 3-coluored disruptively patterned armour was now on their side. If they happened to be looking down a Pershing main gunsight at the time the Allies would probably lose a valuable ally.

I was joking about the Olive Drab. That would just make it look like a captured Panther. White stars would do that as well. For it to work I think you should stick to a German scheme and German markings, but maybe a German cross over a white star would get the 'new allies' idea across.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Ned said:

Olive Drab and white stars, you know you want to...

23 minutes ago, echen said:

Which type of scheme worked best in 1945? Allied overall OD or the German 3-colour disruptive patterns. Allied German forces might have selected whatever protected them best Large green tanks might have become confused with the large green tanks operated by the opposition - but then again, weary allied gunners might momentarily let it slip their minds that 3-coluored disruptively patterned armour was now on their side. If they happened to be looking down a Pershing main gunsight at the time the Allies would probably lose a valuable ally.

8 minutes ago, Ned said:

I was joking about the Olive Drab. That would just make it look like a captured Panther. White stars would do that as well. For it to work I think you should stick to a German scheme and German markings, but maybe a German cross over a white star would get the 'new allies' idea across.

thanks guys - this is the dilemma I have... thinking allowed, maybe comes out the factory in dunkelgelb and then gets OD camo added - but not full coverage (so could have the "giraffe" pattern of dunkelgelb stripes and green splodges..... 

and the thought of a cross in white star - not maybe on the front glacis that would work

food for thought

• Like 1

its all gone black.... hope to get Dunkelgelb and red oxide on tomorrow.... think the hull will have dunkelgelb stripes and faded green patches....

IMG-20220402-164131.jpg

• Like 3

Basic paint on -

Dunkelgelb with mottled lighter shades for the hull (still need to work on the camo scheme, just faded green I think)

red oxide primer and one mottled shade for the hull (also have one wheel and one rear stowage bin like this)

ash grey and one shade mottle for barrel

IMG-20220403-150123.jpg

IMG-20220403-150132.jpg

IMG-20220403-150518.jpg

• Like 4

thinking of going grey-green mixing protective green & dunkelgrau (4:1 or so).... as to squiggle or straight I dont know yet (have better results with panzer putty vs tamiya tape so think squiggle)

2 hours ago, Longbow said:

Looking good, Rob !!

I'm glad you removed the mesh from the turret roof, as the small turret had a much thicker roof, to negate the use of any required extra armor. 

mesh is off being painted - going rusty steel type grey/rust finish... but noted on thickness of roof - could just go with the one over the raised vent

• Like 1

On 24/01/2022 at 12:05, robw_uk said:

i did consider this BUT wonder if there was a thought that the Panther had its place (yes I know complex, high maintenance etc)... one thing I cant square would be recognition - add star (so all allied irrespective of country had them 1944+) or just go with german cross....

and I have tried Mr Surfacer 500 to simulate cast texture... not 100% certain it looks goof but its scrap plastic...

IMG-20220124-105001.jpg

Looks really good imo