A day at Lakenheath

Latinbear

The impending replacement of the F-15Cs by the F-35A combined with a glorious weather forecast encouraged me make a long overdue trip to Lakenheath. 

Unfortunately, by mid-morning the blue sky had been replaced by cloud which got thicker as the day went on. The base seemed pretty busy to me but a local told me that it was relatively quiet for a Friday. The F-15Es from Seymour Johnson flew after lunch and once they had landed by about 2.30pm the light was sufficiently poor that I packed up and left for home. The F-35As didn't come out to play unfortunately.

Despite the weather not complying with the BBC's forecast and it being very cold, I thoroughly enjoyed the day. Quite simply it was nice to get out and experience some jet action 

AAA_5009 (2)

2. The special tail is the last aircraft in the formation. 

AAA_5092 (2)

AAA_5192 (2)

AAA_5159 (2)

AAA_5177 (2)

AAA_5026 (2)

AAA_5018 (2)

AAA_5060 (2)

AAA_5207 (2)

10. The lead aircraft of the pair returned to land while this one hung back and perhaps was burning off or dumping fuel owing to a technical issue. Had I been thinking it through then I would have been positioned by the airfield fence instead of across the road because as the hook indicates, the aircraft took the wire which would have made for a great picture owing to the shower of sparks generated. 

AAA_3055 (2)

11. I forgot to check the time but the runway felt like it was closed for an hour. 

AAA_5246 (3)

AAA_3115 (2)

AAA_5369 (2)

AAA_5457 (2)

AAA_5409 (2)

AAA_5377 (2)

AAA_5303 (2)

AAA_3073 (3)

AAA_3118 (2)

That's it. Thanks for looking. 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

A lovely selection of shots Latinbear from a variety of locations. Shame the weather didn't completely play ball but at least it gives us excuses to get back out there again!

Mark

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Vince1159 said:

What a great photo...

Thanks Vince. I love head on shots when the aircraft are taxying towards the camera (as opposed to pure static head ons) but I think I should have put more thought into straightening the image as the trees look like they've been drinking.....🤔

I think this is the correct angle! 

AAA_5415 (3)

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, canberraman said:

A lovely selection of shots Latinbear from a variety of locations. Shame the weather didn't completely play ball but at least it gives us excuses to get back out there again!

Mark

Thanks Mark. I've only been at the eastern end of the runway but having read "Thunder and Lightnings" then I feel I ought to go and see what the other end offers at some point. Although it's a 100 mile drive, the motorways played ball and so two hours each way wasn't that painful even on a Friday afternoon. Suffice to say I hope to go again in the next few weeks, preferably with a blue sky forecast! 

• Like 1

On 1/22/2022 at 8:43 PM, ColinChipmunkfan said:

A great portfolio of shots, atmospheric in those light conditions.  As you say photograph the f15s while you still can.

Thanks for posting

Colin 

Thank you Colin. One of the small benefits of the murky weather was making the afterburners stand out more. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 22/01/2022 at 17:12, Latinbear said:

Thanks very much. I'm quite envious of those who are fortunate enough to live close by. 

I'd be one of them!! I'm only about half an hour away from Lakenheath, but haven't ventured there for years. Stories of how busy the spotters area gets and the behaviour of some isolated miscreants puts me off. About time I made the effort though I think, on the strength of your shots 👏

• Thanks 1

I was at the nearby nature reserve yesterday and as we drove past the airfield, a pair of F-35s lined up at the end of the runway and took off. Talk about perfect timing! The word "loud" somehow doesn't adequately convey the racket they make. They also seemed to accelerate away noticeably. I wasn't aware that this was a feature of the aircraft, but the F-15s looked sedate in comparison. Talking of F-15s, there were a lot of them. According to someone over at Fighter Control, yesterday was the busiest he'd seen Lakenheath since the F-111s were there.

I knew it was going to be a busy day, as there were loads of cars parked along the main road and guys blindly running across the road, fumbling with their cameras. I'll guess that the rozzers will have moved them on soon enough.

Despite the nature reserve being somewhat quiet nature-wise (we did see a nice, tight three-ship of common cranes though), the 48th provided me with lots of distraction that day.

Anyway, I really enjoyed your photos. Very atmospheric!

Cheers,

Mark.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, robstopper said:

I'd be one of them!! I'm only about half an hour away from Lakenheath, but haven't ventured there for years. Stories of how busy the spotters area gets and the behaviour of some isolated miscreants puts me off. About time I made the effort though I think, on the strength of your shots 👏

Thanks Rob. Not having seen any jet action for some time and the relative busyness of Lakenheath made me feel like a kid in a candy store. Even if I wasn't taking any photos just the spectacle of the aircraft combined with noise and power from the engines would be enough to provide enjoyment. I think the opportunity to pop by just for a couple hours is what I would really value. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, lasermonkey said:

I was at the nearby nature reserve yesterday and as we drove past the airfield, a pair of F-35s lined up at the end of the runway and took off. Talk about perfect timing! The word "loud" somehow doesn't adequately convey the racket they make. They also seemed to accelerate away noticeably. I wasn't aware that this was a feature of the aircraft, but the F-15s looked sedate in comparison. Talking of F-15s, there were a lot of them. According to someone over at Fighter Control, yesterday was the busiest he'd seen Lakenheath since the F-111s were there.

I knew it was going to be a busy day, as there were loads of cars parked along the main road and guys blindly running across the road, fumbling with their cameras. I'll guess that the rozzers will have moved them on soon enough.

Despite the nature reserve being somewhat quiet nature-wise (we did see a nice, tight three-ship of common cranes though), the 48th provided me with lots of distraction that day.

Anyway, I really enjoyed your photos. Very atmospheric!

Cheers,

Mark.

Thank you Mark. I did laugh at your comment about the tight formation of cranes.  I've read that the police have ticketed cars poorly parked along the A1065 and given the number already there I opted to drive to the viewing area and walked back which, while tedious, was the most prudent thing to do. I saw the comment on Fighter Control too about the flying activity and wished I'd been there. Well, truth be told I wished I'd gone when the F-111's were there but I didn't so can't cry about it! I wonder whether the A version is any different in noise to the B which I have seen at Duxford and did seem very loud indeed.  I recall reading that the Dutch did noise tests at Leeuwarden. It would be interesting to know how the F-35 compares with the F-16. 

• 3 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, SAT69 said:

I presume the painted out "LN" means these F-15Cs are being prepped for transfer out?

That is correct. Those noted with LN codes removed currently include 84-0015, 84-0019, 84-0044, 86-0165 and 86-0175. Three F-15Cs left today en route Barnes ANGB for reassignment.

Mark

On 2/8/2022 at 9:28 PM, Latinbear said:

I recall reading that the Dutch did noise tests at Leeuwarden. It would be interesting to know how the F-35 compares with the F-16. 

Pretty much what was already concluded. They're pretty loud buggers, the only advantage is that they tend to move fast so the noise doesn't 'linger' as much.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Will I see much activity there on a Monday afternoon?

I was going on the Friday but have found out that it can be kinda quiet on Fridays. I'm going to Duxford for the day and hoping to get to Lakenheath later in the day; in June.

13 hours ago, Parabat said:

Great shots, particularly like the blank tailed F-15C, wonderful pictures.

Many thanks Parabat. It Given the serviceability issues of the special tailed aircraft I feel quite privileged to have seen it and in sunny skies too! Shame the C versions are going but I guess that's called progress. 

13 hours ago, Markh-75 said:

Will I see much activity there on a Monday afternoon?

I was going on the Friday but have found out that it can be kinda quiet on Fridays. I'm going to Duxford for the day and hoping to get to Lakenheath later in the day; in June.

Hi Mark,

I think it's luck of the draw. I was there yesterday (Monday) from about 8.15am until mid-afternoon and the flying activity was minimal. Two F35As were up before I got there and once they had landed there were nothing to speak of going on until early afternoon. I suppose with Ukraine and various Eagles deployed that might be reflected in reduced activity levels but I think there will be others more knowledgeable than me who may be able to comment.  

• Thanks 1

Some lovely images in some gorgeous light (and also some tricky conditions), Latinbear! You were so lucky to have seen the C-models and especially the special tail.

I was there yesterday as well and as you say, there was very little flying activity and no Cs at all. I fear that I may have missed the opportunity. 

Thanks for sharing. 

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Latinbear said:

Hi Mark,

I think it's luck of the draw. I was there yesterday (Monday) from about 8.15am until mid-afternoon and the flying activity was minimal. Two F35As were up before I got there and once they had landed there were nothing to speak of going on until early afternoon. I suppose with Ukraine and various Eagles deployed that might be reflected in reduced activity levels but I think there will be others more knowledgeable than me who may be able to comment.  

Thank you for your reply, I guess I’ll just go and see what happens on the day.👍