Handley Page HP42/45 Help needed Please

Ray S

Hello all.

I am just starting the Airfix 1/144 HP42 kit, and want to do it in a non-silver finish in view of the fact that this kit has no transfers, and I have the new reissue, which does so that will be my silver one. I have seen previously that these aircraft had a dark earth/dark green/yellow camo pattern when they were pressed into RAF service in early WWII.

I have had a look online but have found very few images of camouflaged ones. Do any of you know of any decent images which can help me solve the camo pattern, whether they were shadow-shaded, and roundel sizes?

I only found these images in these links:

http://shipbucket.com/vehicles/5753  (drawing only, and only one side), and then:

https://www.key.aero/article/handley-page-hp42-built-headwind where the image is right at the bottom of the page. One person also built the Contrail vacform as a camo scheme, but there was only a very small image with that.

I will be quite happy to do something 'representative' but would like to get at least the shape of the camo right.

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to give. If not, don't worry and thanks for reading this.

All the best,

Ray

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Black Knight said:

Why do you think it has a, maybe, red/white/blue flag type striping under the starboard top wing?

I spotted that too! I wonder if that would be duplicated on the top wing too, I seem to recall that being the case with some other types.

Ray

3 minutes ago, Ray S said:

I spotted that too! I wonder if that would be duplicated on the top wing too, I seem to recall that being the case with some other types.

Ray

For civvy service, perhaps. I think in 271 Squadron service it was probably the usual large Type B roundels.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Heather Kay said:

For civvy service, perhaps. I think in 271 Squadron service it was probably the usual large Type B roundels.

Thanks for that Heather, that makes sense, and makes it easier for me!

Ray

23 minutes ago, Ray S said:

Thanks for that Heather, that makes sense, and makes it easier for me!

Ray

No problem. :like: 

I have the same kit, and I plan to model it as you intend. I’m following this thread to learn more, like you! 

The upper wing three-colour bars are an interesting feature. I’m not certain they stem from the civilian Imperial/BOAC markings, though it’s possible. My first thought was it was done because you’ll note there isn’t an actual fin flash, which you might expect. I went through a similar process of working out the markings and camo scheme on my Bristol Bombay (same squadron), and worked out that before about June 1940 the fin flash hadn’t been formally adopted by the Air Ministry. Many second line aircraft probably didn’t receive the flashes on the fin for some time. Equally, it’s likely the HP42s retained their civilian registration numbers despite being assigned military codes.

• Thanks 1

@Heather Kay, thanks for the explanation. I have always found it difficult to keep track of marking changes, so an explanation like yours is very much appreciated. This subject would really fit in well with your 40's theme, and I will look out for your build when you do it!

@JWM, thank you for those links, the profile is especially helpful.

All the best everyone, and thanks again,

Ray

• Like 1

No problem, Ray. These little jaunts into the unknown are part of the fascination of modelling my chosen year. There’s much well known, particularly later in the summer for obvious reasons, but there’s so much that isn’t well documented and is left open to interpretation.

I’m still very much in the "hunting and gathering" phase, and I probably won’t be starting the build soon. I decided to get the Airfix Classics reissue of the HP.42 because, obviously, it was a type that was flying in 1940 under RAF control. It breaks my scale rule, but I felt that was worth it at this point. I know there’s a 3D print kit available, but I have seen builds of it and I’m not sure I’m ready for that much effort! The late lamented Moa's build of the Contrail vac-form remains the benchmark, of course.

10 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

The late lamented Moa's build of the Contrail vac-form remains the benchmark, of course.

Very true, that was a work of art! I did wonder about the Airfix kit's scale for your collection though. Put it in the distance of another model for 'forced perspective'?

Good luck with your information hunting.

Ray

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all again, after the very kind help given any earlier, I have now got to the stage where I am thinking about the markings.

I have the Airfix kit transfer sheet, which gives Heracles and Helena as named aircraft, so my question this time is - Does anyone know the RAF serial numbers they would have been allocated when impressed into service?. I have tried google using 'RAF Serial numbers' as a search (among other terms), but none of the pages shows any useful information. I know the codes for Hadrian, so if push comes to shove I will do that but not have the name on the aircraft.

Thanks very much for the previous help!

Ray