Finally finished! 1/32 Bf110

This is my Revell rebox of the Dragon 1/32 Messerschmitt Bf110. I started this last July and wanted to do the best I could with it as I really like this aircraft it's a very good looking plane. I spent almost seven months building it which includes possibly a month on its own just for painting. The model went together well with a few minor issues that were easily fixed around the wing root. The paints are Mr Colour and Tamiya I mixed various shades to get the desired colour for the camouflage. I the ccolours went over a black base which was then protected with klear floor polish and I then used flory models sand and black washes as I wanted the aircraft to have a dusty used ans battered appearance. Once that was sealed in I used AK pigments Sienna which helped add to the dusty conditions of North Africa. I also dusted the pigments over the canopy as the glass was far too clear and although absolutely brilliant was too clear and clean. I sealed the pigments in with more klear twice more to get more dust onto the surfaces and canopy. I did the same with the figures. I am yet to get accomplished at figure painting but I am satisfied with the clothing and highlighted details with washes etc. I used a drill to create the battle damage which enabled me to show off one engine. I added lead wire into the destroyed engine to add more detail as it'sa.really nice feature on the kit. The base was a £5 cork board from Tesco with cheap pollyfilla (filler for dry wall) and some foam underneath so that there was a bit of depth to the base I wanted the emergency landing to be a split second from catastrophe but they stopped just in time. I did add dents to the nose as well as I wanted it to appear as though stones etc had been kicked up by the crash landing and caused damage. Anyway I am so happy to call this finished and happy with the result.  Enjoy the photos and all comments welcome.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

I couldn't do anything about the back ground as it's a small room but the sunlight lent itself very well for the scene I have here. 

• Like 47

8 minutes ago, shortCummins said:

very nice scheme and I really like the battle damage, I like how you've "damaged" more than one area, very convincing

rgds

John(shortCummins)

Thanks I wanted to make it look like the RAF tore into it and I wanted it to have damage going diagonally across the aircraft so it looks as though it's been intercepted by surprise.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, I'm glad the engine turned out the way it did. I've never made a downed aircraft in detail before, it was time consuming but worth it I think.

What a well built model, and the battle damage is most convincing. Excellent painting and weathering.

Perhaps the base would benefit from some tyre tracks to emphasise the rushed landing, the aircraft is hardly likely to have landed like a helicopter.........

Love it !

Rog

• Like 1

I do think the base needs a bit more work but I never put any tyre marks into the base as it's a stony desert I thought it would be better without although I didn't research that either.

6 minutes ago, BleedingBlue said:

You got some amazing battle damage effects on the build.  That must have been nerve wracking to start putting holes in it and trashing the cowling.

Yeah it was a bit, I did change my mind several times about whether or not to do the damage but I think it was the right choice. It's something different but still shows the plane off well in my opinion. 

• Like 1

I think that's a beauty. Very impressive in the big scale and a bold decision to damage it. The correct decision, obviously, as you did it very well.

I have one tiny suggestion to make, how about painting the rough edges of the base in black or red or dark brown, anything that will frame the scene (and hide the construction).

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

I think that's a beauty. Very impressive in the big scale and a 

I have one tiny suggestion to make, how about painting the rough edges of the base in black or red or dark brown, anything that will frame the scene (and hide the construction).

I was thinking about doing that, I was thinking a picture frame or balsa wood for the edges to hide it as you say. I'm not sure what I'll do but that is something I have in mind of doing.