Airfix/Gecko Models Austin K2 ambulance

NIK122

I'd be waiting until both have been reviewed before I bought.  The Airfix kit is apparently an Academy tooling and their latest kits such as their Pzs II and III have been very well received.  But the Airfix Cromwells, apparently also Academy toolings, have errors.  But Gekko are not fault-free although their Bedford MWs have generally been well received.

One issue for me will be whether either or both need expensive after-market resin wheels because the included ones are vinyl or incorrect tread.  Gekko did well with their MW tyres with separate tread and sidewalls, which I imagine they will perpetuate as they used the same method on their ATMP.  The texture of the canvas-skinned body will be another.  I'm sure there will be after-market improvements anyway.  Gekko are likely to incude some photo-etch, Airfix are not.  Although they did issue separate Eduard-produced etch sets for their 1/48 vehicles.

• Like 1

Nature of the beast Peter. Moulding limitations will inevitably mean that some items, such as the canvas skin will require replacement. But I do think that in this day and age, we should not be having to fork out for replacement wheels. An extra 20 quid for the Cromwell wheels really did stick in my throat.

John.

• Like 2

I shouldn't be too concerned about the canvas texture.  I used to work with this material in the late 1950s.  We knew it as leathercloth, and used it over a stringer framework for some vehicle roofs.  The slightly raised subtle texture was barely visible even close up.  The type we used was black satin finish and usually left unpainted.   You can apply enamel paint over it if necessary.  It was stretched over the edges and secured to the timber by black large headed tacks very closely spaced.  These were then covered by stripes of waterproofing material called Dumdum and then long half round aluminium strips screwed over the Dumdum.  These are what you see around the side panels on K2s after they have been fitted into the basic frame. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My texture concern is that it may be made too noticeable, not insufficiently so.

And I agree on the wheels.  The usual problem is incorrect tread patterns, often from reference to preserved vehicles fitted with more modern rubber.  Sometimes it comes from 2-part moulding limitations rather than the multi-part construction that is becoming more common.  Although Airfix apparently have a problem with bolt counting...........  As is often mentioned, correctly-inflated tyres would not normally be appreciably bulged anyway.  And vinyl is just a toy gimmick.

• Like 1

I agree about scale textures, far too prominent, fabric like heavy sackcloth and wood grain.  You can just about see that in new sawn timber but definitely not even under one coat of pink primer let alone finished colour.  The grain effect can be seen on varnished woodwork but it is not raised at all.

• Like 2

Yes, I'm patiently waiting for one of these two to be released. I've had the Airfix kit on pre-order for four months, but am likely to go the Gecko (is that a metaphor?) if it comes out first. Both were initially due to be released last year. I'll likely do an Ice Cold in Alex tribute to this formative and favourite film from my childhood.