1/48 IL-2 Stormovik

Good Day All,

Well he is my contribution to the group build. Accurate Miniatures IL-2 Stormovik. It is one of 4 that I have in my stash and the only progress made so far is washing and trimming the major

components off the sprues. As one does since we are all still little boys/girl at heart and want to what it looks like LOL.

In any case this kit was the standard for the airplane until the Tamiya kit came out. Though I am not sure they are the same variant. Santa was good to me and

got me the Povinsky book on the subject which i have to say it is really excellent for a modelling reference. I thought I would dress it up a bit with some Eduard and PART items and try

the AK paints. I usually use Vallejo. So....let the games begin!

as88QK5.jpeg

1MUFFv2.jpeg

cG8mGsL.jpeg

X7CB9LN.jpeg

• Like 14

Good to see you joining us with your Il-2 along with some nice aftermarket embellishments and what looks to be a fine reference book :D 

• 3 weeks later...

Hello All,

Here are some in progress pictures of my IL-2. I have built several Accurate Miniatures kits over the years but I have to say this one so by far the most challenging.

Vague fit of some of the detail parts and very thin plastic has caused warping and difficulty in clamping. So not as impressed as I hoped. In any case we're getting there.

Hope you enjoy the photos. 

All the Best!

Don

8AHpiXI.jpg

xwnbxQ2.jpg

YAFj9e1.jpg

SasGrHS.jpg

fpIDZgS.jpg

Edited by DJJunis
  • Like 11

Nice work on the cockpit, it will be interesting to watch this build, I have a couple of Accurate Miniatures Stormovik kits in the stash.

Bought mine in Las Vegas while on a Red Flag detachment, wasn't wasting my money gambling when LV has some good model stores. :winkgrin:

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/24/2022 at 2:44 AM, djktrumpet said:

Looking very nice so far! I'll follow along, as I'm building the same kit.

David,

New pictures will be up tomorrow. Much work has been done. It is not the easiest of kits I must say that. But it looks the part.

A couple of points.

1.) Followed the directions explicitly. If you don't you may have fit issues.

2.) Make sure the front cowl assembly lines up at the wing fillet areas. I had to trim down the oil tank..which you cannot see anyway

to ensure free movement for lining it up. 

3.) The fuselage halves were warped at the front so I took my time cementing them, I used CA and quick drying Tamiya cements starting at the oil tank.

4.) After the fuselage was assembled I cut off the mass balance on the rudder..because it got in the way and I know I would break it off anyway.

5.) I saw the lower fuselage seam through the gunners station so I covered it with a piece of plastic.

6.) The cowl parts are extremely thin and care must be taken to line everything up. I used tape to put it together then used the Tamiya cement

and finally CA to lock it all together. 

7.) I put some support strips on the lower wing at the wheel wells to support the joint of the outer wing panels to the inner wing. that worked really well

as I was able to achieve a very good joint with the Tamiya cement and no clean-up required.

8.) I did use parts of the Eduard set...it's not worth it at all. The instrument panel is not the correct color and the kit part probably fits better.

My biggest piece of advice is to again follow the directions especially when assembling the fuselage. It is also difficult to clamp some assemblies

so I ended up holding them...hence the use of quick drying cement and CA.

As a side note I tried to use Mig/Ammo interior grey green on the interior. It did not work well at all....I used no thinner as it was for airbrushing. It really never dried properly

and it turned out like a semi gloss. So I went back to find the equivalent of my trusty Vallejo with a Tamiya grey as a primer and it's perfect. 

All the Best!

Don

Don

Edited by DJJunis
  • Like 3

I look forward to seeing your additional work on the Il-2! What you've done so far is looking good. I have this kit also, with enough AM to where hardly anything is left of the original plastic! I need to dig it out of storage. Regarding your reference book, that work by Mr. Povinsky is a very good one, but I believe there is one more I know of that I can't quite recall the exact name of at the moment. Let's see, 'Il-2 Shturmovik: Red Avenger', or something like that. Written by a chap named Jason Moore. Not a bad book - he seems to know his stuff.

Best Regards,

Jason Moore

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Good Day All,

Here are some pictures of the IL-2. The landing gear pods are not cemented yet. Overall the parts fit very well and the seams are good but as I pointed out clamping and such is difficult. 

But enough of that ..on with the pictures. I hope you enjoy them,

All the Best!
Don

F2bbnkB.jpg

85ARY19.jpg

02hHz5G.jpg

g13H9DR.jpg

tZPGjS8.jpg

VXh771i.jpg

s3Rzgp2.jpg

b8uY8JJ.jpg

BshWFsC.jpg

Yvz9sHH.jpg

B98Ph0j.jpg

r98qpu9.jpg

TZgTpwZ.jpg

xQalDcJ.jpg

sZKIYQw.jpg

KFmp7sV.jpg

uUkaV1w.jpg

FZyUlRf.jpg

1A9PBQp.jpg

GXkgIKR.jpg

ctsYPCR.jpg

tXJeY9P.jpg

2d66pxz.jpg

8yJ3udk.jpg

2liBjpI.jpg

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Col. said:

This one looks to be coming together nicely now.

Thanks Col.... it is actually. Rather pleased with it now. Wasn't feeling good about it for a while as you have to make sub assemblies that HOPEFULLY fit together. They do ..eventually..lol.

I also had thoughts about starting something else...because I am of Lithuanian heritage and the Ukraine situation is very close to my heart in all honesty. So I set it aside for a few days then some friends

told me to carry on as it is history not now.  So here we are. Nearly there will be working on the canopy to get it to the point of putting some color on it.

Thanks for the kind words.

Don

• Like 4

I understand and respect your feelings on this matter Don. As you say this is a historical subject and I'm sure many Ukrainians served with distinction in the Soviet Air Force.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/03/2022 at 16:17, Col. said:

I understand and respect your feelings on this matter Don. As you say this is a historical subject and I'm sure many Ukrainians served with distinction in the Soviet Air Force.

They did indeed. And over a million Ukrainian soldiers died fighting for the Soviet Union against the Nazis. The top Soviet ace (and top Allied ace) was Ivan Nikitovich Kozhedub, an ethnic Ukrainian. By the way, he gained all of his 62 confirmed victories flying Lavochkin fighters, which were designed by Semyon Lavochkin, a Jew. It wasn't all just Russians.

Best Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
Minor change.
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hello All,

Here are some updated pictures of the IL2 and a surprise guest appearance by another ground attack stalwart used during the same time period. The IL2 is now officially in paint..the underside color is on. Using MIG acrylics as well as Vellajo. It took a while to get this one to paint. But it is there now and feeling pretty good about it. Most of the remaining parts have been cleaned up and ready for paint also. Hope you enjoy the pictures. 

All the Best!

Don

Wv0Hbso.jpg

jAWJJwW.jpg

eUMMhBO.jpg

Pps91fm.jpg

qnqQ953.jpg

YSeg4oQ.jpg

hzVT8jU.jpg

YhcFT3r.jpg

TtDpKob.jpg

Z2TTUyA.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All,

Completed the IL-2. I am so glad I got through it. Next one I do will be a Tamiya one. 

Hope you enjoy the pictures.

All the Best!

Don

USjoibr.jpg

kV6Zx8f.jpg

ynRKIrd.jpg

MIBgmSV.jpg

Suuqt5g.jpg

ihe6YP2.jpg

soFNNK9.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/PZr1OuC.jpg[/img

PRL4RcE.jpg

dOEm3H5.jpg

uAVs9Cj.jpg

ETP9IbN.jpg

wqdDc3u.jpg

AFPeHwS.jpg

goglGCz.jpg

SF5noRd.jpg

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Great work. Making me want to bring out my Tamiya 1/72 kit so as to get back my (aircraft) modelling mojo as my Ventura Mk.II has completely stalled!

:goodjob:

Davey.

• Like 1