The Grim Reaper looms - the 493 FS anniversary F-15

canberraman

With its disbandment as the last USAFE F-15C squadron in Europe drawing closer, the 493rd FS at RAF Lakenheath recently applied special anniversary markings to aircraft 86-0172. These markings commemorate 45 years of the  F-15A/D/C/D in Europe during which time the type flew from Bitburg and Spangdahlem ABs in Germany, Soesterberg in the Netherlands and since the mid 1990s, at RAF Lakenheath.  If is however not the end for the 493 FS 'Grim Reapers' as the squadron is earmarked to eventually receive the new F-35A with which it will re-equip along with the 495th FS 'Valkyries' as part of the 48th FW at Lakenheath.

These images were shot at a bitterly cold Lakenheath on 21 January. Hope they are of interest.

Mark

img

img

img

img

Edited by canberraman
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 5

Lovely images Mark! 

I was there yesterday too but haven't sorted through my images yet.  I got to the airfield at around 8.50am and as the forest entrance was packed I went straight to the viewing area and walked back but got caught out by the first four C's returning and only managed to catch the second four from the A1065 because of their go-arounds!

I picked yesterday to visit Lakenheath because of the excellent forecast which turned out to be completely wrong by late morning and not for the first time had me thinking that meteorology has more in common with astrology than the weathermen (and women) will be prepared to admit. 

Did you hang around for the SJ E's in the afternoon? I left after they had landed which was around 2.30pm but by then the light was pretty poor. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Latinbear said:

Lovely images Mark! 

I was there yesterday too but haven't sorted through my images yet.  I got to the airfield at around 8.50am and as the forest entrance was packed I went straight to the viewing area and walked back but got caught out by the first four C's returning and only managed to catch the second four from the A1065 because of their go-arounds!

I picked yesterday to visit Lakenheath because of the excellent forecast which turned out to be completely wrong by late morning and not for the first time had me thinking that meteorology has more in common with astrology than the weathermen (and women) will be prepared to admit. 

Did you hang around for the SJ E's in the afternoon? I left after they had landed which was around 2.30pm but by then the light was pretty poor. 

Hi Latinbear

I walked up to the forest entrance at about 8am and hung around in the field until 1100 by when my fingers and toes were numb with the cold!  Like you I had set off in the expectation of wall to wall sunshine for most of the day, and was very disappointed to see the banks of cloud rolling in from the west by mid morning. As there had been no further launches by 1100, I decided to call it a day and only later found out that numerous F15Es including the SJs had flown that afternoon.  I will just have to return on another day when hopefully the met forecasters have got it more accurate :(

Thanks for the nice comments btw!

Mark

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Richard E said:

Very stylish markings.

The black background looks slightly strange though: is it a high gloss finish and it's catching a reflection from the sky ?

Richard

I believe so.  I think a matt finish would have been preferable.

Mark

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, canberraman said:

Hi Latinbear

I walked up to the forest entrance at about 8am and hung around in the field until 1100 by when my fingers and toes were numb with the cold!  Like you I had set off in the expectation of wall to wall sunshine for most of the day, and was very disappointed to see the banks of cloud rolling in from the west by mid morning. As there had been no further launches by 1100, I decided to call it a day and only later found out that numerous F15Es including the SJs had flown that afternoon.  I will just have to return on another day when hopefully the met forecasters have got it more accurate :(

Thanks for the nice comments btw!

Mark

I got talking to a chap who is a frequent visitor to LN who told me that the SJ visitors tend to fly in the afternoon rather than the morning for some reason and so it proved to be. I'm rather hoping for some better forecasts than those for the next week or so such that a return visit is in order.

Cheers

Ian

• Like 1

4 hours ago, exdraken said:

They look great, thanks!

45 years, wow!

Nice tail markings :thumbsup:

Decals please ;)

Kursad over at Caracal decal has expressed a interest in doing it along with reprinting his VHTF 1/48 493rd Eagle sheet. 

I'm still wondering if there's not more to be added to this one, there's alot of blank space on those big black tail fins and the rest of the jet for that matter. 

As long as they don't go too crazy like with the clown car D-day jets. 

272048200_10158607951038546_6271206941511469855_n

Edited by mungo1974
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Very nice! I need to get back there this year if possible.

To confirm then, are the 492nd and 494th staying for the foreseeable with F-15Es?

So once the 493rd gets F-35s the base will be up to four squadrons again like in the F-111 days?

I’d always thought of the F-35 as predominantly a mud mover, if it’s replacing the Cs is it a credible interceptor too? Maybe some NATO allies will bring some decent stuff to LN for DACT against them? …

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lord Riot said:

Very nice! I need to get back there this year if possible.

To confirm then, are the 492nd and 494th staying for the foreseeable with F-15Es?

So once the 493rd gets F-35s the base will be up to four squadrons again like in the F-111 days?

I’d always thought of the F-35 as predominantly a mud mover, if it’s replacing the Cs is it a credible interceptor too? Maybe some NATO allies will bring some decent stuff to LN for DACT against them? …

Thanks Lord Riot!  You are correct that the F-15E equipped 492 and 494 FS will retain the Strike Eagle for the foreseeable future. The 48th will become a mixed Fighter Wing with two sqns each of F-35s and F-15Es.  Although it will lack a dedicated superiority fighter, the F-15E still has a formidable multi role capability.  Perhaps one day USAFE may introduce the new F-15 variant to the European stage?

The painted  airbrake  was released on the Lakenheath facebook page, first last week with errors with the Mig killers serial numbers, then later correct with the correct Fiscal year.

I think a full colour squadron badge on the intake and full colour star and bars would add to the scheme..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, F-32 said:

Beautiful shots, I'm going to have to get over there again before they depart

Many thanks, I'd forgotten how good Lakenheath approach can be and with SF F-15s also present plus the newly delivered F-35s, I reckon another trip soon is in order :)

Mark

13 hours ago, exdraken said:

Yeah!

But I do not fully get the title.. :(

end of an era?

Isn't it a 45 year anniversary???

End of an era for the F-15 A/B/C/D in Europe as after the 493 stands down this Spring that will be the end of the type in USAFE.  The 493rd will remerge as an F-35A sqn though at Lakenheath after the 495th have re-equipped.

Mark

• Sad 1

46 minutes ago, canberraman said:

End of an era for the F-15 A/B/C/D in Europe as after the 493 stands down this Spring that will be the end of the type in USAFE.  The 493rd will remerge as an F-35A sqn though at Lakenheath after the 495th have re-equipped.

Mark

that quickly?

I was wrongly assuming that that would only happen when the first F-35 squadron would be fully operational.... I still doubt that LN will have 4 full squadrons in the future... but sendning the 493th back to the US with the current crisis at the Ukrainian border might be a wrong signal.. i also wonder if the SJ Es prolonged presence has to do something with this...

The 493rd is from what I've read to transition to the F-35A this year, so wouldn't stand down as such - only on type, not as unit. I believe the first F-35's for the 493rd might already be in production. F-15 flights is scheduled to end in May anyhow. 

53 minutes ago, Boman said:

The 493rd is from what I've read to transition to the F-35A this year, so wouldn't stand down as such - only on type, not as unit. I believe the first F-35's for the 493rd might already be in production. F-15 flights is scheduled to end in May anyhow. 

There will be an inevrtable gap between the 493rd standing down on the F15C/D and reequipping on the F-35A. The date of stand down hasn't yet been announced but its thought it could be end of February or March 2022.  There are disbandment events already planned including a farewell formation flypast and many of the F15s are without LN tail codes ahead of their return to CONUS for reassignment.  The 495th will need to completely re-equip with F35s and be declared operational before the commencement of the 493rd build up.  Only 4 of the 24 intended 495th jets have so far arrived with the next batch due in March I'm told.  I would therefore surmise it will be at least 18 months before the Grim Reapers reform at Lakenheath and the funding for the F15 is cut well before then.

Mark

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

OK, I read that they would end F-15 flying in May 2022 and transition straight to the F-35. But could be a misunderstanding, either on my part or that of the journalist writing the article I read. 
It will be what it will be in the end, and knowing that the 493rd will stay on with new mounts is good 

• Like 1