1/72 HA-220 Super Saeta. Spanish Air Force

Hello all, here’s the first one finished from the shed this year, the Special Hobby (Ex MPM) boxing of the HA-220 Super Saeta.

Following the end of WW2 Willi Messerschmitt emigrated from Germany, eventually settling in Francoist Spain where he was employed at the Hispano Aviacion works. There he played a major part in the design of the Saeta HA-200 trainer which was the basis of the HA-220 close support aircraft. This variant had uprated engines, pylons for external stores, gun pods and where the rear seat used to be an extra fuel tank. Although only in service for 10 years with the Spanish Airforce the HA-220 saw active service during the Polisario uprisings in the Western Sahara. The type was retired from service in 1981.

The kit differs from the original MPM kit in that it has extra resin and photo etch parts along with an injection moulded canopy. The plastic parts are still short run style and were re scribed as the engraved lines were almost non-existent. Also due to a poor moulding I had to replace the strake on the nose with plastic card. I made the aerials and probes under the nose from scratch and shortened the overly long U/C legs. It’s finished with Xtracolor enamels and varnishes with a little weathering and panel lining. The decals were excellent. I enjoyed making this little aeroplane, its about the size of a JP, and I am pleased with the way it turned out.

So onto the pictures.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Hope you like it, thanks for looking.

Pete

• Like 49

• Pete in a shed changed the title to 1/72 HA-220 Super Saeta. Spanish Air Force

What a great model, well done! 

A great thing about this hobby is that you can be "into" aeroplanes your whole life and still come across a type you've never heard of or laid eyes on. I just got a little mini-education in this thing after seeing your build. Thanks!

• Thanks 1

Thank you all for the kind comments and likes.

22 hours ago, Mig88 said:

Beautiful!! Wonderfully finished kit! Outstanding work

Many thanks Miguel, Its always nice to have a comment from the home turf of the  subject model.

8 hours ago, bianfuxia said:

A great thing about this hobby is that you can be "into" aeroplanes your whole life and still come across a type you've never heard of or laid eyes on. I just got a little mini-education in this thing after seeing your build. Thanks!

Thank you. My sentiments precisely. I enjoy flicking through these pages for exactly the same reason, there is always something to learn. For me, especially in era's I dont usually model.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pete in a shed said:

Many thanks Miguel, Its always nice to have a comment from the home turf of the  subject model.

Actually, I'm Portuguese but I've lived most of my life here in Spain. I am familiar with the type and your build has made me consider getting my hands on one too 😉!

Miguel

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, dragan_mig31 said:

What an awesome kit of this awesome aircraft.Bravo.I love it. I have been looking for this kit for years and I could not find it.Where did you get yours?

Hi, it appeared on e bay just before Christmas and much to my surprise I won the bidding. Like you I'd been after it for some time, I just happened to look on e bay at the right moment. keep looking and good luck!

• Like 1

That's a little beauty Pete, cracking build and paintjob! 

I've had the SH kit in the stash for more years than I can remember and have never seen one built before - I've often thought of moving it on, but your build has convinced me to keep it! 

Top job!

Keith

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Pete in a shed said:

Hi, it appeared on e bay just before Christmas and much to my surprise I won the bidding. Like you I'd been after it for some time, I just happened to look on e bay at the right moment. keep looking and good luck!

Yep, you have to be lucky....I'm in Australia and just this month got the same kit at a bargain price via the marketplace on FB! Seller was also in Aus. so it was win win. I knew of the aircraft but never knew it was one of Willy Messerchmitts progeny!......had to have it for that reason. Yours has inspired me to move it up the "pile" 

• Thanks 1

very nice!

great to see a 🇪🇸 Saeta!  🌩️

I have several waiting to be done in 1/48.... I am especially fond of the Egyptian planes.... and the mystery surrounding its service...

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, keefr22 said:

had the SH kit in the stash for more years than I can remember and have never seen one built before - I've often thought of moving it on, but your build has convinced me to keep it! 

10 hours ago, Icedtea said:

Yours has inspired me to move it up the "pile"

Excellent, two more to grace the modelling tables😄

• Like 1